Topic: SFC3 Stock Replacement models?  (Read 3776 times)

Syntax

SFC3 Stock Replacement models?
« on: February 10, 2003, 04:35:20 am »
I was wondering if anyone had a collection of ships that would replace the stock models of SFC3 with better versions, but allow you to still play online as if the stock ships were unchanged? I do not wish to have different hardpoints and the like... just some nicer looking models. Can anyone help? Thanks.  

Syntax

Re: SFC3 Stock Replacement models?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 06:59:19 pm »
Will these mods mess with hardpoints though? I do not want to seem like I am cheating... I have just seen so many nice looking ships that I wanted to try them in Multiplayer mode without changing the gameplay at all. Thanks for the quick response though... as soon as this question is answered, I will try these out!  

Syntax

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 03:43:03 am »
Well, active hardpoints are described in the DefaultCore.txt file in Assets\Specs. The .gf file tells where to place icon holders for the refitting screen and tactical displays that are overlayed on top of the corresponding ship bitmaps, as well as specifying glow regions However, I am still concerned about adding mods and messing up the game.

For example, I just tried to add DamoclesX's Negh'Var to replace the stock Negh'Var. I was able to get as far as the MP setup screen before the game just cut off. I was not able to play any mode until I reinstalled the game. I was wondering why this would happen after just copying/pasting files into the ship model folder. even after I deleted that folder and put the original back in, I was unable to play until I reinstalled.

This example makes me weary of adding mods, but I have heard of others who have done it successfully and can still participate in MP games with unmodded players. That is what I was hoping to do as well.  

Syntax

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 03:46:36 pm »
I thought it might have had something to do with renaming of hardpoints, or maybe too high of a polycount (~4500). Not sure, but I am hesitant to try it again. Does anyone else have this particular mod (Negh'Var by DamoclesX)?

kevlar

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 08:48:42 pm »
Yes. i have that model installed , and replaces the stock neg.  I didn't make any change except copying the stock  icon placement layout and pasting it on the .gf of the new negh'var. Didn't had any problems and use it on d3 all the time.
actually I have a couple of external models ( either downloaded or converted by myself) installed as stock ones , like P81 bird of prey ( a model that I love) and never had any problems.

just two suggestions:

1. always make a backup of the stock folder model that you plan to replace ( or simply rename it to something like negh_var_stock )

2- it is better to use the new model gf file instead of the default one, or else you can  have weird glows in places that aren't supposed to be " glowed"

kevlar

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 04:39:03 am »
with a program called scf III hpplacementeditor ..i believe you can get it at scf3.net  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 10:39:41 am »
That tool mentioned in the above post is worth any ammount of download time. GET IT if you are planning to modify hardpoint layouts. I have converted over 40 ships to SFC3 with that tool, it's invaluable! Then you just run the model through the Taldren attribute editor to add the glows to the place you want them, change their color, size, brightness ect.

Captain KoraH

kevlar

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 12:49:42 pm »
Try clicking  here    

Lord Marauder

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 05:01:22 pm »
It would help if the 2 links to taldrens modeling tools that i know of weren't dead.

One cannot download them if the links to them are dead links.

Grav

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 05:43:08 pm »
Syntax all you do is get the model folder and rename the files such as the mod file etc to negh var in this case and put your old negh var model folder somewhere else then change the name of this new negh var folder to What the onld one was and change the brk.mod and .mod file so they match the ones in the original Negh var file and you should be fine i think

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 12:07:51 am »
For HP Editing, you might also try the link in my sig
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by zaniwhoop2 »