Topic: This Has Been Ask a Billion Times.....I Know, I Know.....but......  (Read 1166 times)

Mr. Hypergol

I just got a new 2.6 GHz P4 Gateway computer with Windows XP....yada yada.

I just installed and patched all my games on the new machine.

Now time to test EAW and OP.......loads up much faster.....single player runs o.k. etc. etc,

Now I try to log into D2......low and behold.......firewall message.....can't log in.......wasn't problem on old machine......

o.k. so what is the problem?.......anti-virus software?............

I didn't have this problem with the old computer so I'm looking for a quick answer.....I know it's a common problem.

Can anyone give me a hint of what causes this?  

TheMaverick

Re: This Has Been Ask a Billion Times.....I Know, I Know.....but......
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 12:41:25 am »
Is your software firewall enabled? Windows XP has a built in firewall that blocks pretty much everything. Go to your network connection properties and go to the advanced tab and take a look.

Kurok

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 12:48:10 am »
  you have the xp fire wall still on. I would suggest that you get one like zone alarm or something similar before turning it off.
  Now to fix the problem your having the only way that i know of  is to go to your network connections.right click on the connection your using to get on the internet. Hit the advanced tab and uncheck the internet connection firewall. you might have to restart you comp after doing this. Please take this word of advice before doing this tho. your computer will be wide open while on the internet so get another fire wall before doing this. Zone labs  has a decent one you can get for free.
  I hope i rembered this correctly and that it helps
 Kurok  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 04:59:40 pm »
What they said, Hyper. I recently upgraded to XP Pro, and knew to turn off the XP firewall from reading it on the forums. I use zonealarm, and it appears to stop everything cold, with no problems with games.

HAND  

Toten

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 05:15:02 pm »
Ditto here from christmas.

MicroSHAFT XP has a built in firewall (for ur conviencence)

u need to go to security n turn the sucker off.  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 04:56:15 pm »
Thanks for the help guys....problem fixed.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 11:31:41 pm »
Good Hypder. As I recall, I couldnt play much of ANYTHING online using the XP Pro firewall, no matter HOW I set the damnable thing.

I do wish to make it known that Sun microsystems can suck my left nut however. FIrst they sue MS to take Java out of XP, but they allow you to dload their java from their site, ok.

This makes it a pain in the ass for me, but what the hell, using a pc is a pain in the ass regardless, whats one more pain?

HOWEVER, Sun's dload site is HORRIFICALY slow, and even on my dual isdn is frequently locks up... it took me nearly 12 attempts to get a complete dload of just the INSTALLER!

So, IMHO, Sun can go shove their heads up a Hydrans back-side. Anyone seen 762 around here?

HAND!

Cleaven

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 02:53:17 am »
I missed the connection between XP's firewall, and Sun's Java. Or maybe there isn't meant to be one.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 10:25:14 am »
Absolutely NO connection, except that we were discussing XP Pro, and as the java problem was fresh in my mind, I needed to vent.

HAND!