Topic: Enterprise FOOLISHNESS  (Read 5609 times)

Maxillius

Enterprise FOOLISHNESS
« on: April 09, 2003, 08:00:28 pm »
I just finished watching the new episode of Enterprise, and it was a good show... UNTIL the line:

I sentence you, Jonathan Archer, to the dilithium mines of Rura Penthe, where you will stay the rest of your life.

IS NOTHING SACRED???  They blatently STOLE the line AND courtroom AND setting from ST:VI!!!!  

To top it all off, we're even deprived of a valiant escape.  All we get is the tactical officer of Enterprise showing up on Rura Penthe and running off like he got busted out of friggin detention!!!  At least there was a battle in the show, and Enterprise was shown firing off a slow drone with its A-rack.

I want a model of that D5!!!!!!!

*ahem* this is a rant post...

FIRE B&B!!!

Chris Jones

Re: Enterprise FOOLISHNESS
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 08:48:25 pm »
TNG Rules.. lol.

ChamadaIV

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 09:46:19 pm »
Quote:

I just finished watching the new episode of Enterprise, and it was a good show... UNTIL the line:

I sentence you, Jonathan Archer, to the dilithium mines of Rura Penthe, where you will stay the rest of your life.

IS NOTHING SACRED???  They blatently STOLE the line AND courtroom AND setting from ST:VI!!!!  

To top it all off, we're even deprived of a valiant escape.  All we get is the tactical officer of Enterprise showing up on Rura Penthe and running off like he got busted out of friggin detention!!!  At least there was a battle in the show, and Enterprise was shown firing off a slow drone with its A-rack.

FIRE B&B!!!  

This is my third rant post on the D5's inability to take out Enterprise tonight. Duras' ship had the firepower to blast the NX-01 to smithereens in the first volley. If I were the one exacting a punishment on Duras, I'd have him brought before me, and I would have him disemboweled where he stood. Then I watch his suffering for but a second and I would then promptly decapitate him so as to put him out of his pathetic, honorless misery.  

That is, if I were a Klingon...  

3dot14

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 10:00:12 pm »
I HAVE NOT SEEN THE EPISODE, so please bear with me if i get off-track. (don't worry about spoilerst hough.)

was there not a line in ST:VI about no one escapes from RuraPente? (and I presume Archer escapes?)

ChamadaIV

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 10:04:45 pm »
Quote:

I HAVE NOT SEEN THE EPISODE, so please bear with me if i get off-track. (don't worry about spoilerst hough.)

was there not a line in ST:VI about no one escapes from RuraPente? (and I presume Archer escapes?)  

Yep, and nobody seemed to care when he and Malcolm meerily skipped up the stairs and out of the facility. More and more, this series is falling out of established and accepted canon with every new episode. I'm losing faith very fast.    

EDIT: I fear the upcoming Borg episode is gonna be the bullet that puts this series into the dust.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 10:06:50 pm by ChamadaIV »

Maxillius

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 11:50:53 pm »
If it were SFC and not TV, NX-01 would've been tractored, captured, and Klingon property before Archer could say word one about it.  However, it's TV, and as Die Hard is so fond of saying, 'We're the friggin good guys!' so we win every battle.  I do disagree with the D5 doing no internal damage however, and NX-01 shouldn't have been even close to that level of maneuverability.  You saw how close it came to that rock!!!  I bet J'inn was on the edge of his seat!

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 12:35:30 am »
When TOS came out on video, I bought the whole series. Before TNG even screened on free-to-aire-TV, I was renting the videos from the local video library. I read all the books to all the episodes (where published) before watching the episodes, and with the exception of the last season or so of Voyager, I've watched every episode that is Star Trek that ever came to TV (just about). However, I havent seen one edpisode of Enterprise, or read any books at all. In Australia, there is a bit of lag before the episodes are screened here, but tnoo much, however, from what I've heard about Enterprise, is so screwed up, I won't be going out of my way to watch it, unlike the previous series'. It just doesnt add anything to the franchise at all, and from what I've read (including posts made here), all it seems to be doing is screwing everything up. It's no wonder Star Trek is loosing popularity. And here we have, yet, another example of how script writers and directors chasing the dollar can unravel the integrity of a cultural icon that has been with us for decades. I'd be very surprised to see if Paramount can ever recover from the debacle of this latest incarnation of a Star Trek series. The more I hear stuff like this, the less likely I think we'll see any more good Star Trek on our screens either as another series, or even another movie. Its very sad.
My rant for today.

Tremok

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 08:44:51 am »
 Ms. Tracey, I suggest that you watch the series for yourself and make your on call, don't let others make it for you.

I am thoroughly enjoying the series, and I find it to be well made. They have learned from their mistakes they have made on Voyager well. The reset button is utterly gone, for instance (every episode you seen talks about or hints about something from a pervious episode). Also, I find the large majority of the canon complaints to be irrelevant or petty.

But this just my personal opinion. I suggest you watch a few episodes and judge for yourself: don't let others judge it for you.  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 09:07:19 am »
True, I should watch it and see for myself.  

Apocolypse

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 11:13:15 am »
 maybe Half of these arguements would be valid if comparing SFC to Star Trek werent synonymous with comparing apples and oranges.    

DestinyCalling

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 06:01:08 pm »
....or lemons.... which certain episodes of Enterprise are trying there hardest to become.

No wonder the events at the turn of the 24th century are so popular with fan writers (like me) as Paramount seem unlikely to stuff THAT particular era up.......

No other way but down.... NO BORG IN ENTERPRISE !!!!!........

PERIOD !!!!  

StarTrekcaptain

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 06:38:12 pm »
OH DEAR!  Another sad day for the Star Trek Francise.  Enterprise is ripping apart everything I hold dear star trek realated.  Mr.Berman should be shot and people who actully CARE about star trek should take over!  Enterprise is sh*te.  I'm not going to say anything more, I'm going off to weep now.

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2003, 09:15:50 pm »
Its not that bad

Praxis

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 01:39:47 am »
Maybe Enterprise will end with somebody going back in time and blowing up the Enterprise so Enterprise never happened...then the timeline will be fixed :P

Captain KoraH

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 03:08:07 am »
It would be very difficult for a true hard core Trek fan to stomach Enterprise the way it's going, but I considder myself "true" Trek fan, which is just a bit below Hard Core, and above "Trekkie".

Why do I think a "True" Trek fan is below the Hard Core? Because I can watch Trek episodes that screw up a lot of stuff, but still be entertained, and be glad I have new Trek to watch. Even bad new Trek is better than no new Trek to me.

See my post on the other thread, which I sorta hijacked into the  "J.G.Hertzler appriciation thread"

The other thread...  

CmdrK

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2003, 08:54:02 am »
I watched a show and saw just some outlandish stuff.
Archer's dog is about to die, the Neelix type doctor is doing a new and revolutionary procedure, that he just devised, for the first time. During the operation, the doctor and Archer chat about his sexual fantasies of his Vulcan first officer. And, the dog is suppose to be Archer's best buddy. I wouldn't think the Archer character would be thinking about anything else but his dog's life.
From what I picked up Enterprise, is not exploring strange new worlds, but old future worlds.

I was hoping the show would flesh out the building of the Federation. There is bound to be conflict between the future Federation members. How about a conflict between Vulcan and Earth over some other world. The Orion cartel could be very strong and terrorizing. The Tellerites seem to be a belligerent species. They may need to be made to see the light.

I didn't see any imagination in what I watched, and have not read of any in the show. It seems like every first contact Kirk made, Archer is going to be there first.

I've given up on any new Star Trek. Funny - there may be a reason for not having Star Trek as part of the Enterprise title.

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2003, 09:24:12 am »
The only episode you saw was "A night in sickbay"?

I feel sorry for you

I purposely didn't watch that episode

Exactly what you mentioned (with conflict between future founders of the Federation) can be found in the episode "Cease Fire"

Enterprise does have this kind of stuff, it just isn't devoted entirely to it (And they make some awful episodes for the purpose of ratings)

Aliasalpha

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2003, 10:02:22 am »
I hate lawyers. I was about to say the enterprise is fairly good if given the chance & provide a download link but the MPAA e-mailed the guy hosting the eps & demanded their removal. Now if the eps hosted were DVD quality, 600MB, full screen clarity then fair enough but when they're 80MB & of a quality that no-one in their right mind could consider better than the video/DVD... They might as well e-mail anyone who makes video recorders or tapes & demand they stop because of the chance it'll be taping 'Show X'.

I'd therefore recommend Kazaa Lite, look for CHerron's DivX versions.

CmdrK

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 11:01:08 am »
The hype of the show before it first aired caused some reservations. I didn't like Voyager and the hype sounded like Enterprise would be the same. So after some time, I thought I should check it out, maybe the show will have settled in. The show I watched was purely random. I didn't check any preview or show guide. I just turned  the TV on. I watched the whole show looking for something of interest. I didn't find anything, and I really wanted to find something.

Apocolypse

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2003, 01:10:01 pm »
  You didnt look hard enough. Its true Enterprise coulda been a lot more, but its what were stuck with. Watching 1 episode and deciding you dont like Enterprise isnt accurate, just as if you watched a bad TNG episode ad decided you didnt like TNG, its a non-linear storyline, things change.    

SghnDubh

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2003, 02:42:10 pm »
My wife watches Enterprise with me because we only have one TV.

So last night my wife, who merely puts up with my Star Trek obsessions, wandered into the living room with me and watched TNNs rerun of The Next Generation episode, Relics.

At the end of "Relics," she turns to me and says, "how can anyone watch that show 'enterprise' when TNG is so clearly better?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but couldn't find the words...

Maxillius

Enterprise FOOLISHNESS
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 08:00:28 pm »

FIRE B&B!!!

Chris Jones

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2003, 08:48:25 pm »
TNG Rules.. lol.

ChamadaIV

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2003, 09:46:19 pm »
Quote:

FIRE B&B!!!  

This is my third rant post on the D5's inability to take out Enterprise tonight. Duras' ship had the firepower to blast the NX-01 to smithereens in the first volley. If I were the one exacting a punishment on Duras, I'd have him brought before me, and I would have him disemboweled where he stood. Then I watch his suffering for but a second and I would then promptly decapitate him so as to put him out of his pathetic, honorless misery.  

That is, if I were a Klingon...  

3dot14

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2003, 10:00:12 pm »

ChamadaIV

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2003, 10:04:45 pm »
Quote:

Yep, and nobody seemed to care when he and Malcolm meerily skipped up the stairs and out of the facility. More and more, this series is falling out of established and accepted canon with every new episode. I'm losing faith very fast.    

EDIT: I fear the upcoming Borg episode is gonna be the bullet that puts this series into the dust.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 10:06:50 pm by ChamadaIV »

Maxillius

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2003, 11:50:53 pm »
If it were SFC and not TV, NX-01 would've been tractored, captured, and Klingon property before Archer could say word one about it.  However, it's TV, and as Die Hard is so fond of saying, 'We're the friggin good guys!' so we win every battle.  I do disagree with the D5 doing no internal damage however, and NX-01 shouldn't have been even close to that level of maneuverability.  You saw how close it came to that rock!!!  I bet J'inn was on the edge of his seat!

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2003, 12:35:30 am »
When TOS came out on video, I bought the whole series. Before TNG even screened on free-to-aire-TV, I was renting the videos from the local video library. I read all the books to all the episodes (where published) before watching the episodes, and with the exception of the last season or so of Voyager, I've watched every episode that is Star Trek that ever came to TV (just about). However, I havent seen one edpisode of Enterprise, or read any books at all. In Australia, there is a bit of lag before the episodes are screened here, but tnoo much, however, from what I've heard about Enterprise, is so screwed up, I won't be going out of my way to watch it, unlike the previous series'. It just doesnt add anything to the franchise at all, and from what I've read (including posts made here), all it seems to be doing is screwing everything up. It's no wonder Star Trek is loosing popularity. And here we have, yet, another example of how script writers and directors chasing the dollar can unravel the integrity of a cultural icon that has been with us for decades. I'd be very surprised to see if Paramount can ever recover from the debacle of this latest incarnation of a Star Trek series. The more I hear stuff like this, the less likely I think we'll see any more good Star Trek on our screens either as another series, or even another movie. Its very sad.
My rant for today.

Tremok

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2003, 08:44:51 am »
 Ms. Tracey, I suggest that you watch the series for yourself and make your on call, don't let others make it for you.

I am thoroughly enjoying the series, and I find it to be well made. They have learned from their mistakes they have made on Voyager well. The reset button is utterly gone, for instance (every episode you seen talks about or hints about something from a pervious episode). Also, I find the large majority of the canon complaints to be irrelevant or petty.

But this just my personal opinion. I suggest you watch a few episodes and judge for yourself: don't let others judge it for you.  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2003, 09:07:19 am »
True, I should watch it and see for myself.  

Apocolypse

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2003, 11:13:15 am »
 maybe Half of these arguements would be valid if comparing SFC to Star Trek werent synonymous with comparing apples and oranges.    

DestinyCalling

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2003, 06:01:08 pm »
....or lemons.... which certain episodes of Enterprise are trying there hardest to become.

No wonder the events at the turn of the 24th century are so popular with fan writers (like me) as Paramount seem unlikely to stuff THAT particular era up.......

No other way but down.... NO BORG IN ENTERPRISE !!!!!........

PERIOD !!!!  

StarTrekcaptain

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2003, 06:38:12 pm »
OH DEAR!  Another sad day for the Star Trek Francise.  Enterprise is ripping apart everything I hold dear star trek realated.  Mr.Berman should be shot and people who actully CARE about star trek should take over!  Enterprise is sh*te.  I'm not going to say anything more, I'm going off to weep now.

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2003, 09:15:50 pm »
Its not that bad

Praxis

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2003, 01:39:47 am »
Maybe Enterprise will end with somebody going back in time and blowing up the Enterprise so Enterprise never happened...then the timeline will be fixed :P

Captain KoraH

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2003, 03:08:07 am »
It would be very difficult for a true hard core Trek fan to stomach Enterprise the way it's going, but I considder myself "true" Trek fan, which is just a bit below Hard Core, and above "Trekkie".

Why do I think a "True" Trek fan is below the Hard Core? Because I can watch Trek episodes that screw up a lot of stuff, but still be entertained, and be glad I have new Trek to watch. Even bad new Trek is better than no new Trek to me.

See my post on the other thread, which I sorta hijacked into the  "J.G.Hertzler appriciation thread"

The other thread...  

CmdrK

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2003, 08:54:02 am »
I watched a show and saw just some outlandish stuff.
Archer's dog is about to die, the Neelix type doctor is doing a new and revolutionary procedure, that he just devised, for the first time. During the operation, the doctor and Archer chat about his sexual fantasies of his Vulcan first officer. And, the dog is suppose to be Archer's best buddy. I wouldn't think the Archer character would be thinking about anything else but his dog's life.
From what I picked up Enterprise, is not exploring strange new worlds, but old future worlds.

I was hoping the show would flesh out the building of the Federation. There is bound to be conflict between the future Federation members. How about a conflict between Vulcan and Earth over some other world. The Orion cartel could be very strong and terrorizing. The Tellerites seem to be a belligerent species. They may need to be made to see the light.

I didn't see any imagination in what I watched, and have not read of any in the show. It seems like every first contact Kirk made, Archer is going to be there first.

I've given up on any new Star Trek. Funny - there may be a reason for not having Star Trek as part of the Enterprise title.

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2003, 09:24:12 am »
The only episode you saw was "A night in sickbay"?

I feel sorry for you

I purposely didn't watch that episode

Exactly what you mentioned (with conflict between future founders of the Federation) can be found in the episode "Cease Fire"

Enterprise does have this kind of stuff, it just isn't devoted entirely to it (And they make some awful episodes for the purpose of ratings)

Aliasalpha

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2003, 10:02:22 am »
I hate lawyers. I was about to say the enterprise is fairly good if given the chance & provide a download link but the MPAA e-mailed the guy hosting the eps & demanded their removal. Now if the eps hosted were DVD quality, 600MB, full screen clarity then fair enough but when they're 80MB & of a quality that no-one in their right mind could consider better than the video/DVD... They might as well e-mail anyone who makes video recorders or tapes & demand they stop because of the chance it'll be taping 'Show X'.

I'd therefore recommend Kazaa Lite, look for CHerron's DivX versions.

CmdrK

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2003, 11:01:08 am »
The hype of the show before it first aired caused some reservations. I didn't like Voyager and the hype sounded like Enterprise would be the same. So after some time, I thought I should check it out, maybe the show will have settled in. The show I watched was purely random. I didn't check any preview or show guide. I just turned  the TV on. I watched the whole show looking for something of interest. I didn't find anything, and I really wanted to find something.

Apocolypse

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2003, 01:10:01 pm »
  You didnt look hard enough. Its true Enterprise coulda been a lot more, but its what were stuck with. Watching 1 episode and deciding you dont like Enterprise isnt accurate, just as if you watched a bad TNG episode ad decided you didnt like TNG, its a non-linear storyline, things change.    

SghnDubh

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2003, 02:42:10 pm »
My wife watches Enterprise with me because we only have one TV.

So last night my wife, who merely puts up with my Star Trek obsessions, wandered into the living room with me and watched TNNs rerun of The Next Generation episode, Relics.

At the end of "Relics," she turns to me and says, "how can anyone watch that show 'enterprise' when TNG is so clearly better?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but couldn't find the words...