Topic: How to add an name to a new ship  (Read 3921 times)

DarkZero

How to add an name to a new ship
« on: April 03, 2003, 09:52:59 am »
I made a new ship and in the menu i see its name but when i start to play it wont use any names instead it is written ??? what should i do?  

Sledge454

Re: How to add an name to a new ship
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 10:03:24 pm »
Go to the Assets/Strings directory and find the shipnames.txt file.  Open it and you'll see something like:

|Fed-Dreadnaught6|USS Entente
||USS Mir
||USS Ticonderoga
||USS Broadsword
||USS Joan of Arc

Create a new set just like that, but change "Dreadnaught6" to whatever Classname you gave your new ship in the DefaultLoadOut.txt file.  

Reliant37

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 06:19:38 am »
As I said in this thread, the shipnames.txt file looks like gibberish when I open it using Notepad. Any suggestions (either here or in the other thread)?  

morebs

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 01:09:26 pm »
Quote:

As I said in this thread, the shipnames.txt file looks like gibberish when I open it using Notepad. Any suggestions (either here or in the other thread)?  

This is due to limitations of WIN95/98   If you can open this file in XP and then resave it. WIN95/98 well then be able to read it.

Also somewhere the files used to be posted on a website in the proper format. I don't remember anymore-was a long time ago.

Reliant37

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 01:42:51 pm »
^
Thanks for the explanation.

Sadly, I don't have access to Windows XP (my home computers all use W98SE and the ones at university use Windows NT). I did manage to find a strings.txt file that was properly re-formatted by EagleEye, but I've had no luck finding a shipnames.txt file re-done in the same fashion (I think I found the strongs.txt thingy over at Starfleet Universe, but I'm not sure).

If anyone has a link, or actually has shipnames.txt re-formatted for us poor W95/98 users, I'd (no doubt: we'd) greatly appreciate it.  

Qob'nuH

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 08:49:13 pm »
Are you looking for OP/EAW files  or SFC3? Probably just about  anyone here could send them to you. I have opened all the text files for EAW/OP but I don't have SFC3. There's free hex editors out there if you do a search for them,that's how i got mine.  Still using Win98 too.  

Reliant37

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 06:12:27 am »
^
I'm looking for the SFC3 shipnames.txt in regular format (without the squares, spaces, and so on). If someone could send a regular-looking version of the file (i.e. one that is readable and editable using Windows 98's Notepad, not Windows XP), I'd grealy appreciate it. My e-mail address is: Reliant37@talyn-designs.com  

Reliant37

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 05:24:42 pm »
I managed to solve the problem on my own! In case anyone else is interested, this is what I did:

(1) Open the SFC3 shipnames.txt in Wordpad (not Notepad);

(2) Remove all extraneous data, like squares, additional space, so that a block finally reads like this, for example (from the official file that ships with the game): -

|Fed-Destroyer|USS Norway
||USS Iowa
||USS Missouri
||USS Kortenauer
||USS De Ruyter

... and so on.

Be sure to remove all spaces before and after the | symbol. Class names appear between two of these symbols, as shown above ("Fed-destroyer" -- DD is Norway class). Check the file itself to understand the data, it's simple enough. You can remove all excess spaces, symbols, and so on using the FIND AND REPLACE function.

(3) Save the file as a UNICODE text document. This is probably the most important step. This will allow you to edit the file at a later date--using Wordpad--and it should load without any problems. If you open the file using Notepad it looks like spaghetti, so always use Wordpad.

Hope that helps.  

Vichama

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2003, 11:32:45 pm »
Mmmm, spaghetti.    Oh!  Does it matter what order they are in?  Do you need to group them according to empire?  Can you insert additional ships into the middle or do you need to put it at the bottom?

The_Pelican

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 05:40:41 am »
No, it doesn't matter where you add them, putting them in order is reccomended of course, so you can easily keep track of where everything is.

For most ships, it's reccomended that the first name matches that of the ship name. (Saber Class = USS Saber), this helps remind you of what ship you are editing. Plus it's standard to name the first ship of the class by the name of the class.

Rod O'neal

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 08:53:16 am »
Chris Jones posted sfc2 .txt files that were ready for editing, as well as SFU. Either Chris or 3.14 at SFU could probably help you with the sfc3 files too. It was just a matter of changing something in the 1st line of the files that made them legible on older windows systems. I'm sorry I don't remember how it was done. You only had to edit a couple of characters though and it straightenned it all out.

ancientangel

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 07:42:31 pm »
All you need to do is this. Get any "HexEditor" I think there is a free HexEditor32 program out there.
When you open up the file with the Hex Editor you need to change the very first line which should start out as "FF" space something something something etc.. To "FE" this will allow this text file to be readable with any Text program from there on out.

I maybe wrong with this because I haven't had to do actually do this since SFC1.