Topic: Romulans & Weapons.  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Romulans & Weapons.
« on: December 10, 2004, 06:53:47 pm »
If you ran as server sans PF's, would giving Romulan Dizzies or PlasmaX (replacing R torps, or maybe 1 X replacing one S and one F)
be hugely unbalancing?
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: Romulans & Weapons.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 06:59:54 pm »
What is it you are smoking there, Hexx. I'd like to try some please. :P

I've often wondered what a ship like the NHK or the KRCS would be like if the 2x S and 2x F's were exchanged for 2x R's... That'd be neat.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 07:09:09 pm »
<sigh> what I'm smoking is of no concern, I actually had the idea beafore anything was lit up.

Plasma X by itself is not (imho) all that unbalancing. It travels faster, but it does less damage over range .
I'm not saying fir 4 plasma X's on a Rom, (well, unless i was playing Rom)

Just wondering, if you had Roms fight Klingons without the Kestrels, (imho) they'd get killed.
So wondering if dizzes or PlasmaX would be *that* bad.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 10:20:00 pm »

Just wondering, if you had Roms fight Klingons without the Kestrels, (imho) they'd get killed.

Um, you're kidding right? 
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Firehawk

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 10:53:10 pm »

You must really be smoking some good stuff if you are implying that the Romulan Hawk class ships can't beat klingon ships.  The NHK is one of the best command cruisers in the game.  Compare it to the Klingon D7C, D7L, D7W, DWL and you will see it has more power similar number of Ph1 and generally better shields.  The Hawk class ships are more than capable of going toe to toe with the klingons and winning.

Firehawk of the Romulan SPQR

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 09:09:13 am »
Okay.  The main reason Kestrels tend to be prefered over the Hawks are that Kestrels often get Pl-D racks that Hawks don't, and Klingon Phaser arcs.
This is not a dig on the Hawk ships themselves, cause they are quite capable ships in their own right.  Per SFB history, those hawks were designed with lessons learned from the Kestrel ships...  Turn mode, etc. are Klingon-like more than ISC or Gorn-like.

Now, if you are serious about editing the Rommie weapon loadouts, these are the things I'd consider:

Point Defense:  Rommie Hawks lack the serious PD available on the Kestrels.  Adding 2-4 Pl-D racks per ship (mostly command and BCH hawk variants) would make them competitive.  The Firehawks, IIRC, wouldn't get them as the KRs and K7Rs (D6 and D7 "line" conversions), don't carry D-racks... :(

"Plasma Bolts":  The Dis-1 can do damage on a scale close to a Bolted Pl-F, with near-identical range limitations.  For Comparison:
Code: [Select]
Range             0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15
Plasma-F bolt   10  10  10 10 10 10 7   7   7   7    7     5     5     3    3     1
Dizzy              10   10  8  8   8   6   6   6   6   3    3    3     3     3    3     3
Unfortunately, hit rate favors the Dizzy over the bolt, but not by much.
This, of course, assumes the disruptor is overloaded for any range 8 or colser shot.  Perhaps replacing Pl-F with Disruptors on some ships, and making a rule that they can't be fired more than every 1:30 of the game clock.  Of course, you would need to trust the Romulan pilots to do so regularly, or make sure pilots film the battles for time-checks later...

IIRC, the Pl-X does damage on a scale close to a Pl-S.  Perhaps replacing Pl-S with Pl-X as a "sabot" refit, and increasing power cause the Pl-X needs Pl-R power to charge, would be an option.  Someone with R10 would have to give the exact BPV cost associated with this upgrade, but IIRC it's somewhere between +5-7 BPV per launcher.

Any ship you add new toys too, instead of a straight-up replacement, should also have it's cloak cost increased...

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline SPQRPardek

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 09:19:14 am »
i agree with Firehawk, Romulan(Hawk series) vrs Klingon ships should be a very good match up, and IMO would depend on the skill of the players involved who would come out the victor ;D  i never liked the X plasma, S or R torps are much more flexable..