Topic: New Ship in Trek Into Darkness  (Read 11733 times)

intermech

New Ship in Trek Into Darkness
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:59 pm »
The latest trailer shows what looks like a new Starfleet-style ship.

intermech

Re: New Ship in Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »
I don't know, but it looks like something Atolm would design. I'm also thinking that this is the ship that crashes in the previews. I had noticed the nacelles were way to far apart to be Enterprise and it is definitely a dark hull that clips Alcatraz.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:36 pm »
Vote for JJ-Excelsior.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:44 am »
Not to diss the movie before seeing it (ok, I lied, I actually  love to diss JJ Trek all the time) but this new ship/trailer just furthers the "bad guy is one of our own with a grudge" internal-struggle plotline.

Remeber when Star Trek was a science fiction show about going where no one has gone before and finding crazy stuff out in space?

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »
Star Whores would be better suited for the kind of low brow garbage that Abrams puts out.  The reason the prequel trilogy sucked was because Lucas started believing his own BS and tried to produce art instead of the escapism of the original trilogy.  That said, after what they did to Star Trek, I've made it a point to avoid anything that Abrams, Orci, or Kurtzman have had a hand in.  They don't need my money.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:46 pm »
I like the new movies, and I like the design of this new ship so far even if it does remind me of the april-fools Enterprise before the Abrams one was officially released.

Though Cumberbatch being a federation agent (captain?) makes me wonder if his real identity could be linked to any of the evil starship captains. So Tracy/Exeter, Decker/Constellation? I mean it looks like it could be an excelsior though on the other hand, if it's an older ship, it could be the Constellation or even the Constitution herself? We do see some of the older fleet in other shots of the starbase.

Offline Martothir

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »
I just miss Trek that was about high brow ethical concepts and challenging established beliefs. Exploring morality, ethics, and the human condition in the changing face of knowledge and technology.

I'm not a big fan of Michael Bay's Star Trek. (That's what it feels like.)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:40 pm »

The only character that actually succeeded is Spock.

Not Even.  Spock was horrible.  I mean at times he seemed overly exagerated.  Don't get me started on that romance with Uhura.  Also, punishing Kirk for insubordination by stranding him in a blizzard on a hostile planet without even a phaser?  And finally, the fact that Kirk was able to goad him into going all medieval.  Then again, considering the fact that they turned Chekov into Wesley Crusher, and Scotty into Jar Jar I guess he's less screwed up.

Offline Martothir

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:57 am »
Here's a new image of the new villain ship:

Source: http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-uss-vengeance-new-movie-clip

She's an ugly SOB, ain't she? USS Vengeance. Not at all Starfleet naming conventions. Poor Gene is probably rolling in his grave.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:07 am »
Here's a new image of the new villain ship:

Source: http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-uss-vengeance-new-movie-clip

Looks like some fan modded Sovereign.  Knowing what a hack Abrams is it probably is a fan modded Sovereign that he stole from the internet.

USS Vengeance. Not at all Starfleet naming conventions. Poor Gene is probably rolling in his grave.

Not really.  Starfleet tends to reuse old earth warship names ie. Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Akagi ect.  At least they didn't name it after the first grand wizard of the KKK.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:00:29 am »
God. Damn. It.

I actually like this ship.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »
It does look better than the JJ-Prise.

Perhaps Tracy, but especially Decker, were NOT evil. Both cracked after having lost their crew. Tracy was willing to kill to survive against duty so a toss-up? Decker was a broken, suicidal man after losing 430 crew.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
You've been JJfied!

NNnnnoooooooo!!!!!!

intermech

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:43 pm »
I'm telling you, this is the one that crashes into San Fransisco. I slowed down the trailer and watched it frame by frame.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 05:40:37 pm »
Does that ship design not remind you of some of the drawings and Models that we saw Atolm post many moons ago  :)  Makes me Wonder HMMM.  ;D

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »
There are other possible scenarios besides being stolen by them,maybe the hired him.If that`s the case, good for him.:)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:25:40 pm by FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC »
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 01:22:08 pm »
Too many flat angles on that ship fpr me. It's like some one modeled a low poly ship, put a HD texture on it and said lets use this.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 06:18:43 pm »
I've made a tradition of seeing ST movies the day they open with an old friend  since ST2, getting every one with 1 exception of 1 day. So, despite what JJ did last time, yes, I will.

If Cumberbatch's character turns out to be from further in the future, say, from another generation, I will be demanding my money back

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
I saw the last one on a bootleg DVD because I didn't want to give them my money.  I only got that DVD to answer certain people on this forum who kept criticizing me for trashing the movie without seeing it despite the fact that I have a very common viewpoint, and if there was anything in the film to refute it then Abrams would have put it in the trailers.  Said group also felt that I apparently couldn't have an opinion on it based on the complete plot summary that was on wikipedia.  Seeing the film actually lowered my opinion further because when I read in the summary about how a supernova had threatened the entire galaxy, I thought it had to be a mistake because not even Abrams could be that stupid.  I was wrong.  This time, I'm not going to even bother with the bootleg dvd.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
His story was really far fetched, I mean a race which uses quantum singularities as a power source can't deal with a supernova, granted it was quick and took them off guard but come on, then a freighter captain gone looney, able to get all those weapons, time travel etc... Kirk going to captain from cadet. Spock abandoning him on a planet that can barely sustain life. I mean crazy far fetched crap. Red Matter. Lol

Adam

Supernovae don't happen overnight.  There would have been warnings, and a major interstellar empire like the Romulans would have had the resources to evacuate.  Also, you forgot to mention the space ship with the $%^*ing propeller.