Topic: New Ship in Trek Into Darkness  (Read 11725 times)

intermech

New Ship in Trek Into Darkness
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:59 pm »
The latest trailer shows what looks like a new Starfleet-style ship.

intermech

Re: New Ship in Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »
I don't know, but it looks like something Atolm would design. I'm also thinking that this is the ship that crashes in the previews. I had noticed the nacelles were way to far apart to be Enterprise and it is definitely a dark hull that clips Alcatraz.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:36 pm »
Vote for JJ-Excelsior.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:44 am »
Not to diss the movie before seeing it (ok, I lied, I actually  love to diss JJ Trek all the time) but this new ship/trailer just furthers the "bad guy is one of our own with a grudge" internal-struggle plotline.

Remeber when Star Trek was a science fiction show about going where no one has gone before and finding crazy stuff out in space?

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »
Star Whores would be better suited for the kind of low brow garbage that Abrams puts out.  The reason the prequel trilogy sucked was because Lucas started believing his own BS and tried to produce art instead of the escapism of the original trilogy.  That said, after what they did to Star Trek, I've made it a point to avoid anything that Abrams, Orci, or Kurtzman have had a hand in.  They don't need my money.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:46 pm »
I like the new movies, and I like the design of this new ship so far even if it does remind me of the april-fools Enterprise before the Abrams one was officially released.

Though Cumberbatch being a federation agent (captain?) makes me wonder if his real identity could be linked to any of the evil starship captains. So Tracy/Exeter, Decker/Constellation? I mean it looks like it could be an excelsior though on the other hand, if it's an older ship, it could be the Constellation or even the Constitution herself? We do see some of the older fleet in other shots of the starbase.

Offline Martothir

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »
I just miss Trek that was about high brow ethical concepts and challenging established beliefs. Exploring morality, ethics, and the human condition in the changing face of knowledge and technology.

I'm not a big fan of Michael Bay's Star Trek. (That's what it feels like.)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:40 pm »

The only character that actually succeeded is Spock.

Not Even.  Spock was horrible.  I mean at times he seemed overly exagerated.  Don't get me started on that romance with Uhura.  Also, punishing Kirk for insubordination by stranding him in a blizzard on a hostile planet without even a phaser?  And finally, the fact that Kirk was able to goad him into going all medieval.  Then again, considering the fact that they turned Chekov into Wesley Crusher, and Scotty into Jar Jar I guess he's less screwed up.

Offline Martothir

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:57 am »
Here's a new image of the new villain ship:

Source: http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-uss-vengeance-new-movie-clip

She's an ugly SOB, ain't she? USS Vengeance. Not at all Starfleet naming conventions. Poor Gene is probably rolling in his grave.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:07 am »
Here's a new image of the new villain ship:

Source: http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-uss-vengeance-new-movie-clip

Looks like some fan modded Sovereign.  Knowing what a hack Abrams is it probably is a fan modded Sovereign that he stole from the internet.

USS Vengeance. Not at all Starfleet naming conventions. Poor Gene is probably rolling in his grave.

Not really.  Starfleet tends to reuse old earth warship names ie. Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Akagi ect.  At least they didn't name it after the first grand wizard of the KKK.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:00:29 am »
God. Damn. It.

I actually like this ship.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »
It does look better than the JJ-Prise.

Perhaps Tracy, but especially Decker, were NOT evil. Both cracked after having lost their crew. Tracy was willing to kill to survive against duty so a toss-up? Decker was a broken, suicidal man after losing 430 crew.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
You've been JJfied!

NNnnnoooooooo!!!!!!

intermech

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:43 pm »
I'm telling you, this is the one that crashes into San Fransisco. I slowed down the trailer and watched it frame by frame.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 05:40:37 pm »
Does that ship design not remind you of some of the drawings and Models that we saw Atolm post many moons ago  :)  Makes me Wonder HMMM.  ;D

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »
There are other possible scenarios besides being stolen by them,maybe the hired him.If that`s the case, good for him.:)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:25:40 pm by FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC »
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 01:22:08 pm »
Too many flat angles on that ship fpr me. It's like some one modeled a low poly ship, put a HD texture on it and said lets use this.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 06:18:43 pm »
I've made a tradition of seeing ST movies the day they open with an old friend  since ST2, getting every one with 1 exception of 1 day. So, despite what JJ did last time, yes, I will.

If Cumberbatch's character turns out to be from further in the future, say, from another generation, I will be demanding my money back

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
I saw the last one on a bootleg DVD because I didn't want to give them my money.  I only got that DVD to answer certain people on this forum who kept criticizing me for trashing the movie without seeing it despite the fact that I have a very common viewpoint, and if there was anything in the film to refute it then Abrams would have put it in the trailers.  Said group also felt that I apparently couldn't have an opinion on it based on the complete plot summary that was on wikipedia.  Seeing the film actually lowered my opinion further because when I read in the summary about how a supernova had threatened the entire galaxy, I thought it had to be a mistake because not even Abrams could be that stupid.  I was wrong.  This time, I'm not going to even bother with the bootleg dvd.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
His story was really far fetched, I mean a race which uses quantum singularities as a power source can't deal with a supernova, granted it was quick and took them off guard but come on, then a freighter captain gone looney, able to get all those weapons, time travel etc... Kirk going to captain from cadet. Spock abandoning him on a planet that can barely sustain life. I mean crazy far fetched crap. Red Matter. Lol

Adam

Supernovae don't happen overnight.  There would have been warnings, and a major interstellar empire like the Romulans would have had the resources to evacuate.  Also, you forgot to mention the space ship with the $%^*ing propeller.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 10:44:18 pm »
Lol but Supernovaes do happen overnight. Fast. Whoosh. Civilization gone.

Let me rephrase that.  They don't happen without warning.  The star's behavior would have been noticeably unstable for centuries before it blew.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 04:24:23 am »
Sorry, I missed the sarcasm.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 01:37:35 pm »
Being that all of the movies came out while I was functionally an adult (driving age for STTMP), I've looked forward to them with varying parts excitement and fear. In the early days, info was limited and sketchy, so one could only guess at what was coming. In the internet age (ST6 and onward) it became easier to search out, peruse and parse various tidbits about what was in the next movie. I've played a game with myself for years now, trying to glean what I could from trailers and photos and put it the order I might want to see. Not long ago I re-read what I thought was going to be in ST6, and while I was clearly overly optimistic, I wasn't horribly wrong, either (If only they had asked for my advice...) Even with the uber-secrecy that JJ threw up for '09, I knew this was not going to be anything like my Star Trek, and not in a good way...

Just saw another little teaser clip for ST12. Where, once again, the character named James T Kirk says things I can't imagine William Shatner ever saying over his 29 year  career playing Kirk. And, it seems fairly certain that Cumberbatch is Khan, or another member of the Botany Bay. I now have extremely lowered expectations for this movie.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26:24 pm »
Yeah, "Remmick" was a douche, but he wasn't a Captain, he was a Lt. Commander. And controlled by a little slug thing in his neck..

Check out this clip
http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2013/04/harrison-drops-subtle-massive-hint.html

I'm taking bets - Cumberbatch is Khan or one of his supermen from Botany Bay

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 04:17:23 am »
I just miss Trek that was about high brow ethical concepts and challenging established beliefs. Exploring morality, ethics, and the human condition in the changing face of knowledge and technology.

I'm not a big fan of Michael Bay's Star Trek. (That's what it feels like.)

Uh, when was any of that happening? You mean that time in the 80s where they were all wearing pajamas and deciding to huddle on the holideck every other week and cry about their feelings? Or how about being paralyzed by the latest moral dilemma and/or political allegory? Or the love triangle between the alien Samurai, the alien therapist, and the expy captain Kirk?

Trek to me is about hopping over the rocks on alien planets, zapping said aliens, and boldly going into adventure. To me it was never about the highbrow naval gazing super space superiority future-ness that happened in TNG. I plugged into Trek for the adventure and was waiting so long for them to escape the stale next generation era (and it's near-clone) that JJ Trek is a great breath of fresh air after the saga got moldy. I welcome JJ trek because it makes Star Trek fun to watch again. I also look forward to the way they re-invent many popular concepts and ideas that have been stagnant and neglected from Trek's origins by subsequent series. The new Gorn are fantastic!

TNG has commanded the franchise for the past twenty years, it'll never go away (unfortunately). I think it's about time we returned to bringing TOS and all that it was front and center and ditch the high-minded humanist part of Trek that's dominated the picture since the mid 80s. Time for something new.

Now, the Venegnce.

I like the ship. While it reminds me of the April Fools' Enterprise (and how loudly people were bitching about that design), I like the dark matte plating, coloration, and the blue highlights. I like bigger starships and she conforms to perfect circles and straight lines common in TMP designs. Her engines are slatted like the TMP versions and also resemble jet intakes in a way that I was doing with some of my Trek redesigns. Some have also pointed out that the deflector here looks like the Wave Motion Gun from Space Battleship Yamato... which I think is a good thing, seeing that Yamato and Trek are both spaced-out adventures with intrepid crews.

Not only do I want to see her in action but I kind of want to get my mitts on a physical model of some kind. Can't wait to figure out what she's all about and where her place is in this Trek universe.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:20 am »
Well Norsehound, to each his own opinion, but TOS did a fair share of political allegory, moral dilemmas, emotional exposition and navel gazing, too. To ignore that part of TOS history is to miss the point of "Arena," "Devil In The Dark," "Balance of Terror," "Naked Time," "Amok Time," "A Private Little War," "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield," etc. etc. A list that is quite long, and all done in soft, brightly colored velour. At the end of a rousing, dramatic, fisticuffs episode like "Arena," Kirk pauses with his knife at his enemy's throat and shows some introspection that stays his hand.

In addition to making a show that would draw in viewers and keep themselves employed, the makers of TOS repeatedly said they wanted to do more than just another TV show. In my own opinion, I like to think of TOS as "Twilight Zone with a recurring cast," with shades of "Forbidden Planet" thrown in. I think JJ-Trek is nothing like this and is just another popcorn selling "action" movie with no soul, and one that "cheats" by leaning heavily on characters well-fixed in the public consciousness and not really doing anything on it's own with them. I can't argue that JJ-Trek 09 wasn't well made and very popular, but it wasn't Star Trek to me.

In hindsight, I wish they had gone with the April Fool's Enterprise instead  :D

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:52 pm »

Trek to me is about hopping over the rocks on alien planets, zapping said aliens, and boldly going into adventure. To me it was never about the highbrow naval gazing super space superiority future-ness that happened in TNG. I plugged into Trek for the adventure and was waiting so long for them to escape the stale next generation era (and it's near-clone) that JJ Trek is a great breath of fresh air after the saga got moldy. I welcome JJ trek because it makes Star Trek fun to watch again. I also look forward to the way they re-invent many popular concepts and ideas that have been stagnant and neglected from Trek's origins by subsequent series. The new Gorn are fantastic!

If that's your opinion of Star Trek, I think you need to watch the original series again.  As TAnimal pointed out, TOS had a lot of depth that was missing from Abram's work.  If anything TNG had less depth than TOS, but that was balanced out by not having the veneer of 1960s campiness that the network thrust upon TOS.  The only Trek episode that the last film measures up to is Turnabout Intruder which was not only the worst episode of TOS, but arguably the worst Trek episode of all time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:38:41 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »
I think the new bad guy is section 31 or was and I think we will end up with some variant of the "start the war to end the Klingons conspiracy again". I also think we are going to get left with some kind of cliffhanger ending.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:41:43 pm by Starfox1701 »

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »
Strangely I'm one of those people who doesn't detect the campiness and dated effects in TOS. I was busy having too much fun enjoying it?

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is in my opinion the second worst episode of the original series (after "The Alternative Factor") largely because it was being so obstructive with the political allegory. This wasn't a fun adventure story; this was us getting brained by the moral anvils of WHY RACISM IS BAD!

I also don't understand the political allegory in some of your examples. What was "Amok Time" supposed to teach us? I was too busy watching character development on Spock. And actually Knightstorm, one could point out "Turnabout Intruder" had a moral parable on sexism in organizations, since Lester's motivations were partially because she felt women were denied command position roles like ship captaincy.

I also ask where the allusions and messages were in Star Trek 2? Super weapons are Bad (duh)? Because Star Trek 2 was a rousing adventure to save Star Trek after poor results from The Motion Picture (and the slow gawking at space). There wasn't anything about the human condition or deep exploration in that film, and it was a roaring success! I think I can equate the JJ movies to Wrath of Khan's imapct on Trek... a return-to-roots space adventure makes Star Trek accessible to everyone and makes it fun to watch again.

I can understand some of the pain you guys are going through when I look at the Doctor Who fandom, and see how hip and trendy Who has become compared to it's roots, but I try to enjoy the new flavor as well and not be so harsh on the new fans who are trying to make Doctor Who their own. I know I'm not going to convince either of you guys to look at Abrams trek in a different way, I just ask that you're less profuse about it in threads dedicated to talking about the new film?

Because I wanted to gawk at the Vengeance here, not read two pages of complaining why this fun direction of Star Trek is an abhoration. What, Trek fans aren't allowed to have fun action movies? Please don't sound like those guys from
The Onion's parody report

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 01:44:42 pm »
Actually I have to disagree with one thing you said. There is a big moral in ST 2, that actions have consequences. This is told mainly through the notion of playing out a "No Win" scenario but can also be seen in the fact that Kahn is there at all and that Kirk has never met his son. In the end the message is that it is how we deal with the consequences of our actions that will define us.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 03:59:58 pm »
Oh Adam, you have nothing to apologize for; you're certainly not the first, or last, to bask JJ Trek.

Lesee Norsehound, you can opine about disliking and discounting 85% of Trek (TNG etc) but can't bear to hear someone else's opinion? How terrible for you.

No one here is complaining about the effects in TOS, and I think Knightstorm is wrong about the "campiness." "Campy" is Lost In Space or Batman-1966; like the effects, TOS might seem dated because it's  a TV show but we're not bashing that either. (Watch "Gunsmoke" or "Mission Impossible" - it was the style of the times) The point isn't that every episode must be allegorical, but the point is that Trek has always been more than just "adventure." You complained about "navel gazing," which is why I mention "Amok Time," full of actor-ly worry over Spock's health and life choices, and themes of friendship vs duty. "Naked Time" exposed inner feelings of the characters, the chinks in Kirk's persona and Spock's love for his mother; more of the namby-pamby, un-macho moments that you disdain in TNG. I wouldn't call "Let This be  Your Last Battlefield" a great episode either, but it's not "TV to teach you something," but "let's see an alien species that takes it to the extreme." Might I add, that most of these  allegorical/moralily episodes were still a blast to watch - we wouldn't stil be talking about this show today if it wasn't good.

I personally don't think ST2 is all it's cracked up to be either. It's another comic-book-plotted Star Wars clone; it has the TOS characterizations that were missing from STTMP but with silly ship's bells and a super-evil bad guy that isn't much like the dude in "Space Seed." For my money, the first real "Star Trek" movie was ST3. I think you can make a action-filled, blockbuster type movie but still stay true to the characters from the TV show, pleasing fans and non-fans along the way - it's called Star Trek First Contact and it's probably the best "true" Star Trek movie made to date.

Dr Who is probably not the best analogy either - it's maintained a truer sense of it's roots than JJ-Trek has, and also has a long history of "reinventing" itself. Tom Baker and Matt Smith surely play the part differently, but when they say, "I'm the Doctor," you believe them. Nothing against Chris Pine as an actor, but when his car-stealing punk Kirk goes from cadet to Captain in 20 minutes simply because the audience know he's James T Kirk, that's poor scripting. Believe me, Dr Who fans are not nearly as divided over "new-vs-old" as Trek fans currently are. It's something that just has to be excepted these days that JJ Trek is going to illicit these reactions without apology.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 05:54:48 pm »
This is not a Gene Roddenberry Production and they say it is for the fans.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:13 am »
*shrug* to be fair It's not like I absolutely hate TNG. I liked the character interactions and, yes, It was a blast to watch in it's own way. "The Inner Light" was one of the best episodes of television I watched and "Darmok" was another really great episode of note.

But it misses the magic in TOS I felt since I was a kid, and I think the Abrams movies brought that back and in spades. But from the complaints you're hearing you'd think that Trek's only function is to be a Scifi Commentary of some sort, and damn to anything that doesn't have the deeper meaning. I guess there's a reason why Star Wars feels more enjoyable in my book than Star Trek as the years went on because it didn't take itself anywhere as seriously.

I'm also really tired of every Trek production being based in the TNG era from the same production crew. I'm tired of B&B's angle on Trek.

Anyway, since it looks like the cool new spaceship thread is just going to be JJ bashing I don't think I have much else to contribute here.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:41:37 am by Norsehound »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 08:52:49 am »
The only things I have against JJTrek are poor cinematography, bad science and hack fiction. Other than that, it's great!  ::) Seriously, look at the movie from a film-maker's point of view and it falls apart very quickly. A friend of mine and I went to see the first one and when we left the theater we thought it was a good movie. We had walked to a theater close to my house and during the 20 minute walk home we started deconstructing the movie. By the time we got home, we decided that it really had sucked.

The main problem I had with the "New Trek" was that I thought the reboot idea was just lazy and insulting to what had come before. Many people worked for several decades to build an entire universe to play in and they just threw that out in favor of character branding. I was done with those characters and was content to leave them behind. It just seems lazy/hackish to me that they cannot create new charaters for us to get to know while still delivering the goods. If JJ decided to reboot Star Wars and redefine all those characters you don't think there would be a similar riot of disgruntled fans along with the people who think it's a great idea?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:37 am »
The only things I have against JJTrek are poor cinematography, bad science and hack fiction. Other than that, it's great!  ::) Seriously, look at the movie from a film-maker's point of view and it falls apart very quickly. A friend of mine and I went to see the first one and when we left the theater we thought it was a good movie. We had walked to a theater close to my house and during the 20 minute walk home we started deconstructing the movie. By the time we got home, we decided that it really had sucked.

The main problem I had with the "New Trek" was that I thought the reboot idea was just lazy and insulting to what had come before. Many people worked for several decades to build an entire universe to play in and they just threw that out in favor of character branding. I was done with those characters and was content to leave them behind. It just seems lazy/hackish to me that they cannot create new charaters for us to get to know while still delivering the goods. If JJ decided to reboot Star Wars and redefine all those characters you don't think there would be a similar riot of disgruntled fans along with the people who think it's a great idea?

:goodpost:

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »
To flip-flop a little, (and to continue going further off-thread ;)  ), I don't really mind the "reboot" aspect, although I hate the word and it's implications. To me it was simply a  matter of time before someone recast TOS and started it over again, and to JJ's credit, at least he had the decency to immeditately and declaritively set it up in it's own timeline. Lazy in that regard would have been just to start over again AND ignore existing Trek, which he surely did not.

What is lazy and insulting is the movie he delivered, that banks on the audience knowing only a little about Trek. His movies are made for non-Trek fans. That's why fans are so divided. Some Trekkies see a expensive and (by Hollywood standards) well made action movie and like the "breath of fresh air." Others, like us thread highjackers, see plot holes and badly redone characters hidding in the glitz. It is not, not, because we "demand social commentary in our Trek," but because we feel lied to and betrayed.

But ok, saw some new angles on the Vengance. Still a cool ship, cooler than JJ-1701. I've almost gotten used to the exterior of the nuEnterprise but still cringe when I see the "engine room."

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 01:18:16 am »
I can deal with the brewery engine room, I like beer ;), its that Mac store of a bridge with a fracking window in the front that kills me. :crazy2:

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 08:17:39 am »
And while this new ship looks cool (and has a darker less Mac-y bridge), it's pretty clear that this ship does not survive the movie...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:02 am »
I know "it" is so close to opening that we'll get plenty of views of this new ship, but I just saw these images of the Hot Wheels toy of the USS Vengeance. I still like it but less so when I saw the "hole" in the primary hull. It really looks more and more like they recycled the idea seen in the "April Fools Enterprise" from years ago...

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
Well i've finally seen the movie.  I am only annoyed by one techinal thing.

Why does this new federation dreadnought only have 2 nacelles?  (it's really the only thing that grinds my gears on it)

EDIT DUE to possible spoilers.. din't seem like it since i thought it was common knoledge. 
2nd edit due to [spoiler] [/spoiler] not working and no spoiler button in edit box
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:32:53 pm by maelstorm »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »
Um, spoiler much?? Some of us haven't seen it yet, since it has only just opened. Still, I called it months ago....

As far as Fed dreadnoughts, I for one am completely ok wth 2 nacelles. The warp engines are supposed to come in pairs, and IMHO the FJ design is overrated. I doubt that will be my biggest issue with JJ Trek 2 ;)

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »
Um, spoiler much?? Some of us haven't seen it yet, since it has only just opened. Still, I called it months ago....

As far as Fed dreadnoughts, I for one am completely ok wth 2 nacelles. The warp engines are supposed to come in pairs, and IMHO the FJ design is overrated. I doubt that will be my biggest issue with JJ Trek 2 ;)

duno i guess. i  so much prefer the sfb design looks and the flavor of the sfb based on all the source material.  i remeber first time i played sfb and i tought .. why doesn't my d7 have photon torps?? and what is this drone rack junk?  (years later i'm laughing firing disruptors with derfacs and anchoring so i can force feed scatterpacks.)

The movie was good. i'll say that much i just wish it was asthetically more like what's described in the original source material (first jj movie where p1's firing as gattling phasers for example.)   The single nacelle on the friggate of kirk's father's ship was perfect i was hoping that DN's would have 3.  Peronally i've always considered nextgen to be dreads for the most part. (duno how many episodes i wished that klingons would show up with a B10 but never did.)

Wasn't most of the detailed weapons and equipment on most the races in SFB come from the animated series wich went futher in detail?

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 07:26:19 pm »
Mostly I would just reply, "to each his own."

As far as the Animated Series, I wouldn't say it went into anymore detail than TOS. When SFB was first designed, there was only TOS and the Animated show, and SVC sorta cherry-picked which items he wanted to include, and threw out others. So, yes, some things in SFB came from the Animated Series, like Kzinti and Orions, but the Stasis Field Generator in SFB is  nothing like what was seen in the Animated Series. If you watch TOS "Elaan of Troyus," you can see the genesis of  how SFB came to be.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 11:51:13 pm »

I also ask where the allusions and messages were in Star Trek 2? Super weapons are Bad (duh)? Because Star Trek 2 was a rousing adventure to save Star Trek after poor results from The Motion Picture (and the slow gawking at space). There wasn't anything about the human condition or deep exploration in that film, and it was a roaring success! I think I can equate the JJ movies to Wrath of Khan's imapct on Trek... a return-to-roots space adventure makes Star Trek accessible to everyone and makes it fun to watch again.

Actually TWOK was full of symbolism, literary allusion, and unlike that piece of trash Abrams put out, the characters had depth.

No one here is complaining about the effects in TOS, and I think Knightstorm is wrong about the "campiness." "Campy" is Lost In Space or Batman-1966;

In the 60s campiness infected everything and the producers of the series had to constantly fight the network over it.  You can't tell me that the episode with the space hippies calling Kirk a Herbert wasn't campy as $%^, even if it did have redeeming social commentary at the end.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14:28 am »
It was but how else you going to do space hippies when you can't get them high on TV :crazy2:

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 08:03:12 am »
I'm sticking to my guns on this, even though I can't believe I'm defending "Way To Eden"   ::)

Definition:
camp: providing sophisticated amusement by virtue of having artificially (and vulgarly) mannered or banal or sentimental qualities;

It's trying to be over the top that defines "camp", which is what I would call Lost In Space or Batman. Those pressures you mention to be silly or goofy and "non-cerebrel" were definitely coming from the network, but I wouldn't call it "camp"

Offline maelstorm

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »
I'm sticking to my guns on this, even though I can't believe I'm defending "Way To Eden"   ::)

Definition:
camp: providing sophisticated amusement by virtue of having artificially (and vulgarly) mannered or banal or sentimental qualities;

It's trying to be over the top that defines "camp", which is what I would call Lost In Space or Batman. Those pressures you mention to be silly or goofy and "non-cerebrel" were definitely coming from the network, but I wouldn't call it "camp"

well some episodes did have some level of "camp" but they weren't where the camp was the meat and potatoes of the show.  that early batman tv show would probably be a better defenition of a campy show. i mean seriously..

Batman bomb run

seriously come on .. kirk never did anything like this.  oh and The latest batman movie .. ended something like this too.