Topic: Can a tholian starship be created High-Poly?  (Read 11760 times)

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
Re: Can a tholian starship be created High-Poly?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 03:51:17 pm »
Tholians are beings of crystals. Maybe the grow there ships in the way crystals are formed. Something along that line of thought, though I think that could be more of a texture styled set-up more than a poly.

Hey MANI, long time m8  8)

Yeah I agree with your input on the Tholian m8, I understand the background etc, but ATOLMS ship looks more constructed than naturally grown (grills etc) ...  :-\

Its gotta be one or the other? or is it a bit of both...?   Tholians grow the main bit, then retro fit etc?  :-\

Anyway it makes a big difference as to where i go next on the mesh, and the communities collective idea of Tholians, more importantly though Atolms vision for the render his friend is producing... whats the desired output?

Do we have a simple generic, stone looking ship with some details?

Do we have a stone themed ship with constructed features?

Do we go ENT on it, and give it windows and greebles :-)

I'll leave that decision to the artist himself  ;)

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 05:38:26 pm »
I still lurk the forums all the time lol.

I think that model you have now is near perfect as can be actually, The textures are where it will seal it all up.

You know since you brought the stoned them up, lol, I do think only the monsters in EaW and OP might have been the closest thing to that, I don't recall any other races even close to that.

On the crystals as I was mentioning, it would be similar to paneling on any other races ships. Just that it would have that crystal look to it, instead of say looking like metal paneling. No the greebles might be something to look at once it gets done, as a visual check to see how itd look.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:04 pm »
Hey MarkyD that;s looking sweet.
you may want to use this for some hull details (notice the hull details, the ship seems to have a opalescent striations):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/tholianweb/interesting/

http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/tholian-starship-the-tholian-web-5.jpg?w=655
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:01:26 pm by Atolm-Rising »

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 08:29:02 pm »

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 06:56:52 pm »
I assume this thread is related ...

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?79750-New-Tholian-Ship-Needed

Aye mate.  Bolian Admiral is doing a fan series with a Surya-Class called the USS Gemini... He asked me to design the ship (needless to say I did :) ).  although, I like my tholians a bit more elaborate, nevertheless i did it as per spec.  it was then posed to me if I could model a high poly tholian... I think to myself, "is that even possible?  I mean its a TOS tholian ship!"  So here I am posing the question to you guys, who are far more knowledgeable on these things (originally I tossed the question to Tus, we talked a bit on it, then decided I'd better ask here).
It's a cool project that has brought up some intriguing things... For instance, I never realized that in TNG the ep with the Sheliak, it was established that the Federation first encountered them during Pike's era (this came up as cool idea with the tholian having a territorial conflict with the sheliak... Needless to say,  I'm working on a TOS sheliak design as well).

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
Looking great Markyd. Cant wait to see the textures

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:42 pm »
It has certainly got a lot of us thinking Tholian ships to be sure.   :)  Before now, I never gave them much thought but I love it when creative minds come together.  Markyd, great work on the mesh so far.  It will be interesting to see where you and Atolm take this one. 

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 06:43:43 am »
Thanks,

I will clean the mesh up a little this weekend, Ill model the grill effect for the rear glow area, and detail in some lines on the hull as shown in the REF image. Im going to try and make my own texture, a stoney crystal feel keeping it looking as much like the TOS hull as possible.

What colour were you thinking for the glows?

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »
Reddish mate... In TOS, they had a subtle reddish hue.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34:46 pm »
If you are looking to add a more stone like look to her you can try grant counter tops for the hull and jewels fro the warp grills and lettering. I tried somthing like that a few years back if you are interested
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163390686.0.html
I'd offer the textures but they are currently taped on a HD I cant get to work

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 10:54:02 am »
Thanks mate, the textures will be a little less stonelike though as I am trying to keep it like the textures on the original TOS. Will continue work on it this weekend.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:01 pm »
That is better than the box ones Cryptic has players buying.Pretty nice Head Waffler and I want some.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 08:35:15 am »
Thanks Age..

Does anyone here use Max 2009?

I am currently having an issue with this it crashing all the time on my laptop and its having a massive effect on getting anything done. Im sure max 2009 was ok my desktop.