Topic: Can a tholian starship be created High-Poly?  (Read 11754 times)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
Can a tholian starship be created High-Poly?
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:30:20 pm »
Out of curiosity I have an easy tos tholian scout ship/patrol vessel (like a cutter), but i cannot see how o make the ship render worthy (with another High poly), as it is a tholian ship?
 Here is the vessel in question:

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
Re: Can a tholian starship be created High-Poly?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:30:45 pm »
Certainly looks like a Tholian. Enterprise series concept art perhaps? I have no doubt it can be done by one of the remaining non-Federation modle makers still around.

Always nice to see a non-Federation ship.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:52:27 pm »
Other than modelling in the vents on the forward section of the ship, there doesn't seem to be many place to add modeling details.  You could model in some plating similar to the way the Tholian Webslinger was done and give it a good weather texturing job.

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/tholian/tholian_webslinger.jpg

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:06:11 pm »
you could do some greebles, but it would be better off with hi-res textures. That is just my opinion ofcourse.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »
See I think Mani hit it right...you can only do a really high res texture with it.
the reason I'm asking, is that I have a friend who has a great hipoly Suyra class and he's looking for a tholian to match... so I drew up the tholian, and actually have a basic mesh of the ship's shape already built, but I can only do so much for hi poly and hi res textures.
Thanks for the feedback mates.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:51:20 am »
I think Tholian ships are better using just simple shapes anyway.

The basic webspinner from Tholian web is still my favorite Tholian out of everything outside of Klingon Academy. Even over the newfangled replacements.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:35 pm »
I think Tholian ships are better using just simple shapes anyway.

The basic webspinner from Tholian web is still my favorite Tholian out of everything outside of Klingon Academy. Even over the newfangled replacements.
exactly, but if you had to do a render or even a fan movie, you need something to make it comparable to the Connie in terms of presence... such a simple shape, is fine, but then you need something, otherwise the ship is like 14 polies, while a Connie an be over easily 100k.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:22 am »
Well you could make it semi hi-poly you still will not get as many as the Connie because you have allot of flat areas were the Connie is round
You could make the Tholian more cone shaped and then extend the protrusions from there. smooth and round the sharp edges will also increase the count. Add cuts and inlays in the flats as well and you can detail it up pretty well. Mapping will be a pain though if you do that
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:14:06 am »
Hey Atolm,

Do you mind if I have a crack at making it high poly..

Made the lower poly mesh..

But I think I can make a high poly one of these tonight, I'll upload the mesh here when done, it will have a low poly cage so mapping will be easier and it will be able to be backward compatable for use in games.

Such as SFC  8)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:50:41 am by markyd »

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:59:01 pm »
I think in answer to your orginal question... Yes it can...

this basic model sits at 17k polies, the advantage being the massive reduction in HARD edges, as no edge is 100% sharp, a lower poly mesh would show that on a quality reder.. anyway it not finished, but it proves the point i think.

I may continue with it, not sure. (I like the design mate)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:51:10 am by markyd »

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:44:54 am »
Looking real good

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »
Wow that looks mint!

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:44:22 am »
Thanks, ill start adding in some detail and see how it looks, how much detail were you thinking? Ent type of tholian or tos type?

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:38 am »
Thanks, ill start adding in some detail and see how it looks, how much detail were you thinking? Ent type of tholian or tos type?

Markyd, nice start

i tryed to make one to but got only to 1076 polys with the detail i'm willing to add

i could model in the squares for the warpgrills but i'm to lazy for such things  :P

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »
TOS mate... As she has to stand up to scrutiny in a scene with a high-poly Surya-Class, to simulate an actual show scene.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:19 pm »

Markyd, nice start

i tryed to make one to but got only to 1076 polys with the detail i'm willing to add

i could model in the squares for the warpgrills but i'm to lazy for such things  :P

Terra, you too are amazing. 

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:17 am »

Markyd, nice start

Nicely done mate, hope you decide to texture it too :-)

TOS mate... As she has to stand up to scrutiny in a scene with a high-poly Surya-Class, to simulate an actual show scene.

Ok cool, Ill keep details to a minimum then.

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 09:53:54 am »
Rebuilt the model today, prefer the new mesh, its cleaner and i learnt some things in the process. Took a bit more time with it. So will start detailing tonight.

No more detail than the sketch is that correct?

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »
More progress, poly count 153K  :o

So I am unsure as to how to detail as the only ref image for a TOS Tholian is the generic one, that looks like one shape, with a couple of grooves and some lighting to make it look interesting.

Are you thinking that this ship should look constructed? Pieces and elements... or more stone and natural like?

Thanks  ;)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:00:37 pm by markyd »

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 03:18:23 pm »
Tholians are beings of crystals. Maybe the grow there ships in the way crystals are formed. Something along that line of thought, though I think that could be more of a texture styled set-up more than a poly.