Topic: Space: 2099  (Read 8650 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Space: 2099
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »
Link to full article

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced plans for a reimagining of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's famed franchise of the 1970s, then called Space: 1999.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Space: 2099
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »
Interesting. I did like the old one with Landau (sp?) as a kid growing up. And while the physics of such a thing is laughable, It made for a good yarn or two.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:31 pm »
OMFG ~!!!!!!!

*armpumps*

YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »
Aw, yeah.  Sure, it needs a little "reimagining" for today's audience.  Probably more than most franchises, based on an overly fantastical premise of the moon being blasted away from the Earths orbit and traveling how fast?  Encountering new planets each week...  Hmmm.   Still, it'd be great to see the Eagle's fly again!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »
might be cool, but if you look at Knight Rider, it was a bad remake of a good show.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 01:22:42 pm »
It had decent theme music in series 1 & 2. Why they changed to something totally crap for series 3 baffles most people. Actually series 3 never explained where or what happened to most of the original cast who were mysteriously replaced by newer faces.

I have the original technical spec for the Eagles dating back to the 1970's....

Propulsion was by nuclear fission reaction using Plutonium fuel pellets. Maximum speed was 0.05c though in the opening episode of series 3 an Eagle was fitted with additional engines to give 0.15c.

Shielding was by magnetic fields and forward object deflecting sweeps.

The filming technology and techniques used for space craft flight later went on to be used in Star Wars. Space 1999 pioneered computer controlled camera movements to give the illusion that it was the model that was flying.

Some of the plots in Space 1999 episodes were "recycled" in Star Trek TNG.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »
The only big concern I have, is it is by the same peeps who did the Bionic woman (which I did like kinda), and 'V'. But I am still excited about this show. Panzer , that is awesome that you have that.

I remember reading a fan fic, years and years ago, that was about the loss of the moon, and the terror planet Earth went through, given the lack of it's pull. No idea where I saw it , or if it is even on the web, but I'll try and find it, once I get over this damn Head cold.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »
I'm going to take this announcement with a very big grain of salt - the only bit of news out there is that above press release on "Hollywood reporter"; at the very least it'll be years until we see this I bet. And while I share the concern over comparisons to the redo of "V," it'll really depend on who the company gets to produce it. Then again, the guy spearheading this, Jace Hall, is mostly a videogame producer... but had nothing to do with "Bionic Woman, 2007."

Interestingly, the name "Space: 2099" was used by a fan/professional who was "enhancing" the episodes, recutting them to make them move faster and to take out now-outdated references to the year 1999, moving it up a century. His site for this http://www.space2099.com:80/space-2099-tes#!__space-2099-tes is now connected to his push for a sequel series, http://www.space2099.com/legacy#!__legacy, but there's nothing on his page (or the ITV site) that links his project with the HDFilms remake.

And a small factual error above - there were only 2 seasons ("series" to you Brits) of 24 eps each. Wouldn't want someone out there looking for something that didn't exist  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999

While some of the FX people from 1999 did work on "Alien" and "Empire Strikes back," they used wildly different filmmaking techiniques; "1999" using very old-school technique and not the motion cameras used by ILM in Star Wars. Although I've read the original Millenium Falcon was too similar to the Eagle for Lucas, who had a new model built.

Completely different studios, production companies, writing staff, working 12+ years later.... Any similarities between 1999 and TNG are coincidental at best. Wasn't it Plato who said there were only like 9 plots to all stories? Mebbe even less in scifi  ::)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:59:20 pm »
I would rather have a UFO reboot.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »

Given that Space 1999 was supposed to be a continuation of UFO you could get both in one package.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 06:24:14 am »

Given that Space 1999 was supposed to be a continuation of UFO you could get both in one package.

Um, no. It just benefitted from the never produced second run of UFO.

Space: 1999 owes much of the visual design to pre-production work for the never-made second series of UFO, which would have been set primarily on the Moon and featured a more extensive Moonbase.

Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:21 pm »

Now that you mention it... a reboot of UFO rings a bell. After a wee search...

There was a attempt at a reboot in 1996 that whithered on the vine. Someone is reportedly working on one now, a planned set of movies to restart it, with the apparent blessings of Anderson.
http://ufo-themovie.com/shado/

I'd expect to see this before a reboot of 1999, IF it happens. (A big if there.)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:32 am »
Julian Gollop's legendary computer game "UFO - Enemy Unknown", or as it was labelled in the US and Canada, "X-COM - Enemy Unknown" was totally inspired by the UFO TV Show. The modern remake of X-COM is due out this year.

Plot theme pretty much the same.... Secret UN funded organisation fighting alien incursions and conquest of Earth.... operating inside a varying budget...... keeping the UN members happy.... Researching and learning about the aliens then thwarting their operations....

PC World readers voted it the best ever computer game that has ever appeared so far a few years ago. Not bad for a PC game released in 1990.

If you've never played the game you will not understand why. It is now free to download under the title "X-COM Gold" as a version modified to run on Windows Xtra Problems, Vista and Windows 7.
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:41 am »
I never fully understand the series UFO. Who where the aliens and what did they wanted?

We can get our finger cross so that the new version of Space 1999 will be good. :popcorn:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
I only have the vaguest memories of this series but Wikipedia has an article that may clarify things for you Don.