Topic: What we've been up to - from a Modeller's perspective.  (Read 18549 times)

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
What we've been up to - from a Modeller's perspective.
« on: December 23, 2011, 01:10:38 am »
Happy Chrismakwanzika...

Anyone want to take a guess as to the most common asked question on Dynaverse these days? Yup, you had it right: "What's going on with SFC:CE?" ... well, I'm happy to tell you that over the last couple months we've been hard at work. I asked Frey if I could show what I, specifically, have been working on and he was gracious enough to let it these out of the bag.

You see, part of the later planned stages of SFC:CE is art overhaul. Here's an early show of that effort.

All models so far come in under 8k polies (at their highest resolution) and will have a single texture with baked effects, full break models, and impressive levels of texture detail.

But here's the catch. As you all know Frey runs Dynaverse.net out of his own house and its an expensive endeavour. Want to help SFC:CE come about? Give this a read and Donate what you can spare towards the maintaining of the servers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:28:25 am by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: What we've been up to - from a Modeller's perspective.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:17:57 am »
Care for a few SFC:CE wallpapers for the holidays?

Abbe-D
Abbe-S
Abbe-V
Akula
Constitution2
Fencer
Kirov
Miranda
Wolverine
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:36:14 am »
Very nice but how about un update on the non-Federation fleets?

I would love to know what the Mirak, Klingon and what other COMPLETE ADVERSARY FLEETS are actually going to be available.

We can not hope to attract new players in ny great numbers without equally cool adversary ships, NEW STATTIONS, PLANETS and some added bells and whistles for the ADHD kids out there.

Thank you for sharing this news.

Qapla'
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:38:12 am »
Oh don't worry. I plan on EVERYTHING getting some attention: Planets, Nebulas, Starbases, Freighters. I've already "donated" my Kzinti fleet (which will need an overhaul to meet the new standards) to the project.
Robinomicon

Offline CaptCujo

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:56:41 pm »
I can't wait to see the final product -

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:08:09 pm »
Whats the CE stand for?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:08:50 pm »
"Community Edition"

The idea is now that we have EAW's Source Code, we're bringing it up to OP standards and well beyond :)
Robinomicon

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:50:50 pm »
WOW! That's really something to look forward to!

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:57:52 pm »
Tangible evidence on a project is always a good sign :) Great looking presentation on our favorite classes and ships from elsewhere.

My only critique is against the Wolverine and the Fencer. Neither ship has enough changes to make them visually distinct from a baseline constitution profile. At least the Kirov has enough modifications to make it look different than just a Connie with the nacelles flattened out. Good show on the aft superstructure! And the Akula looks close enough to the original silhouette for me to be happy. Props on the Abbe as well!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 12:02:46 am »
Regarding the wolverine and fencer: There will be plenty of ships that break the mold, so I feel like its nice to have a couple that don't. Remember that our baseline is still SFB - I'm going to be using the Constellation for the F-GSC (Galactic Survey Crusier) and the Chandley for the F-CAD (Drone Cruiser), so there will be plenty of deviation. that being said, I wanted the wolverine and the fencer to "feel" like modifications of the original spaceframe. I feel like I can get away with that on occasion (but not to worry, I won't be letting things be as kit-bashy as SFB-proper).

Thank you on the Kirov and the others. That kirov aft hull was quite a pain the the bum.

also: I was very much tempted to throw the under-saucer deflector (ala Abbe) on the Miranda, but I didn't want to play too far from canon on an official design :3
Robinomicon

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 12:21:54 am »
Honestly, I'm glad he didn't.  When those ships were built it was, if not actual war, a high tension time.  Starfleet would want to get a lot of ships out as quickly as possible, why not use as many common parts as possible?  Kit-bashing is not necessarily a bad thing, but like all things it can be taken too far.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
So will the Knox be included as the new F-FF??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 12:11:36 pm »
I'm curious: Was there ever a heavy cruiser design in SFB that served both a troop transport and a cruiser role?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 12:22:59 pm »
So will the Knox be included as the new F-FF??

Meaning the slight variant on the Miranda? It'll probably be used as a NCL variant along side the Miranda (which is another NCL variant). Just because someone calls it a Frigate doesn't mean it would work well for SFC's Frigate.

I'm curious: Was there ever a heavy cruiser design in SFB that served both a troop transport and a cruiser role?

I imagine there is, but even if there were I don't want to use an awesome ship like the Chandley for a ship that will never be used (A Commando Heavy cruiser... how many people flew that particular bird?)
Robinomicon

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 01:17:53 pm »
The Chandley was a marine transport in the FASA starship combat game. The two big built up areas/wings were for baracks, gymnasiums , training areas etc.  I guess the wings could be considered as missile storage for this purpose?  Otherwise it's a big waste of space to explain.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »
I do recall a photorp-boat variant, but even if not: I'm not above using her for something else.
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »
I if I might ask are community models going into this or will they all be Original construtions?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »
They're all going to be original builds.
Robinomicon

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 08:02:26 pm »
The Chandley TMP version is a well rounded multi-role platform. Very mission versitile...Add marines, add science equipment or make it an auxilliary CV/Missile cruiser etc. I'd love to see it with a deflector built into the bottom of the saucer.

FASA lore be damned *cough* frigates...

I recommend the TMP era Belknap as the fast cruiser and Churchill as the FCX and were off to a great start.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:56:03 am by Klingon Fanatic »
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »
Do you have a list of needed hulls and races yet?