Topic: Does anyone still play multiplayer?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline whitekrok

• Ensign
Does anyone still play multiplayer?
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »
Hi all,

I'm brand spanking new to both the forums and the game (yes, seriously : ). I've been on a nostalgia kick lately playing a lot of the older games I loved back in the Mplayer and GSA days but I never got into SFC (or any other Trek games) despite being a big Trek fan (I got hooked on shooters back then). I was wondering if there was still an active multiplayer community for SFC3 (or the other versions)? Are there clans / fleets still playing or even "freelance" members playing group battles? Do any of the other older Trek games have active multiplayer communities? I don't know if this is the right place to post but I was just clicking links Google threw up and hoped I'd get lucky.

Thanks,
Krok

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Re: Does anyone still play multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »
My son, some friends and myself have the occasional LAN battles with several computers linked through a hub.

We run SFC 1 though considerably modified from the standard game.

These are either Cooperative missions versus the AI, such as attacking a Borg cube, etc. or team versus team.

All scenarios are created before hand using the Fleet Mission Script Editor (FMSE) by Eagle Eye Software. This can be found for free download on Battleclinic and elsewhere.

It is mainly the closeness to the original Star Fleet Battles board game that keeps SFC alive and many fans are also veteran SFB players.

Complexity offers more oportunities to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for the more devious and cunning player....

Apparently it is possible to play directly between players via peer to peer over the internet though I haven't tried that yet.

I suppose it might be possible to host a LAN game and include a WAN player.

Which version of SFC do you play??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline whitekrok

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »
Apparently it is possible to play directly between players via peer to peer over the internet though I haven't tried that yet.

That's what I'm looking for. Some old school online multiplayer action. I don't have any of the games yet because a)  they're expensive even second hand on Ebay and b) my main reason for doing this would be to get involved in a multiplayer community.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »
There are SFC 2 EW and OP campaigns running, from time to time, on Dynaverse. Recruitment posts pop up occasionally.

There was a Lyran versus Lyran campaign running at the beginning of 2011.

You'll have to look around the Dynaverse forums to see what the latest or upcomming campaign will be.

If you haven't played either SFC or the parent Star Fleet Battles board game expect a steep learning curve combat isn't as simple as in Legacy or Bridge Commander.... its a lot more involved in managing one's ship(s) for power, damage control and weaponry. There's also fighters and shuttle to manage.

Cunning and deviousness in battle are always useful.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Voidwar

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:48 am »
You can find me on Gameranger for SFC OP 4.0  battles.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
-J.B. Books  www.hotandspicyforums.com