Topic: X-COM Coming To The X-Box 360....  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
X-COM Coming To The X-Box 360....
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:52 am »
For those of you who can remember playing and becoming adicted to Julian Gollop's "X-COM UFO Alien Unknown" (Europe) or as the US and Canada knew it as "X-COM UFO Defense" then you are in for a pleasant surprise....

A remake is coming to the X-Box 360, with all the features of the old one PLUS you have first person real time control of the personel you recruit and send (sometimes to certain death) on ground missions to deal with the alien threat.

You'll still have to attract funding, maintain the project's budget, make hard decisions and cuts during hard finacial times, recruit and progress troops, gather and research alien technology, kill aliens, go on away missions and investigate alien incursions.

The usual deployment of bases globally and shooting down UFOs will also be in the game.

It will also have Co-op features for online team play.

My son, an adict of the game when he was a kid in the 1990's has been following the developments of this updated classic online.

The X-COM project is now set in the early 1960's at the start of the secret UN task force and some aspects of the beginning seem to be very X-Files in nature.

There was a PG 12 on the trailer online as some of the aliens portrayed are very shocking, especially the "Skin Of Evil" type one.

This will be probally the only serious competitor to battlefield 3 for game of the year 2011....

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: X-COM Coming To The X-Box 360....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:08 am »
Is this the X-Com Enemy Unknown game coming out next month?  It's by 2K Games and Firaxis Games (Civilization)

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/videos

The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:10 am »
That's the one.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens... which isn't like chess at all ... now that I think about it." --Jake Soloman

http://www.gamespot.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/videos/xcom-enemy-unknown-jake-solomon-undercover-6397603/
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
OK the version that had trailers for the X-Box, etc. had the story set in 1960, at the beginnings of the X-Com project, and was sort of a first person shooter along the lines of an FBI / Project Blue Book / Men In Black type thing.

The one released this month is a poor remake of the brilliant original where a lot of the gameplay has been seriously dumbed down or removed completely.

Players no longer have to make those budget decissions, decide the research priorities or decide how many skyrangers with what sized teams with what and how many wepons, grenades, explosives, etc. are in a base.

Players don't even have a say in the layout of the base or even how many satelite bases, outposts or radar stations are positioned around the Earth.

Basically playerss are now led by the hand and "unlock" technology along a pre-defined storyline.... The game has been seriously nerfed....

Disapointed?? Me along with all the other tens of thousands of folks who love the original X-Com - UFO Alien Unknown (UK), X-COM UFO Defense (US & Canada) and X-COM - Mexican Unknown (Texas)....

I've started playing the original again as it is far better in terms of game play....

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!