Topic: Star Trek Original  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Star Trek Original
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:10:26 am »
I was watching the episode of Star Trek from seasons 2 : I think its episode 45 Bread and circuses. The description of the ship: S.S. Beagle, small class 4 stardrive vessel. Crew of 47. What this ship look like?

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Re: Star Trek Original
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:32:50 am »
I think of the SS Beagle as a Canopus Class survey vessel, as in Rich Sterbech's Space Flight Chronology.

It has the right size (small) to be the SS Beagle and its suggested service period covers TOS.

I tend to think that its scientific missions would have been controlled by USEPA rather than Star Fleet as it isn't a naval starship.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:49 pm »
I believe it was a freighter.  The captain was kicked out of Starfleet Academy so I doubt it was a survey vessel.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:43:24 pm »
I believe it was a freighter.  The captain was kicked out of Starfleet Academy so I doubt it was a survey vessel.

I see it as a freighter. The Star Fleet of TOS is modeled heavily on the US Navy of the late 18th and early 19th century with cruisers being the cornerstone of the fleet. The Enterprise (Constitution class) even echoes Joshua Humphreys heavy frigate designs being bigger and faster than anything smaller and faster than anything bigger. A freighter would likely moonlight doing survey work as the non-existent or extremely limited armament would not be considered the threat a warship would allowing them to go places that threatening warship couldn't.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:50 am »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:04:33 pm »
I checked out the beginning of the episode and it was indeed classed as a survey vessel.  The captain however was expelled from Starfleet Academy (class mate of Kirks) and based on how he appeared to have described those like Kirk who succeeded apparently held them in awe.  The ship only had 47 crew so it would have been quite small.  Neither the ship nor its wreckage was shown.

My interpretation of this is that the Beagle was a civilian ship surveying in detail where the larger Starfleet vessels had already explored and found no civilizations dangerous to a star ship that didn't try to contact them.  It might well resemble a F-Frigate or be a converted freighter.  Neither would be well armed or shielded as they aren't supposed to be where anyone can attack them (the Orion pirates excepted).
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »
Som wreckage is shone passing by Enterprise in the remastered episode.

The captain however was expelled from Starfleet Academy

The trem used was "droped" which is not quite the same thing.

based on how he appeared to have described those like Kirk who succeeded apparently held them in awe.

That is because back then Roddenberry wanted ships like Enterprise to be very rare and special; no more then a dozen where supose to exist in the whole starfleet. That ment men qualified to command them would also be rare.