Topic: Ken Burns Prohibition Documentary.  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Ken Burns Prohibition Documentary.
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:37:55 pm »
First, Let me be clear here guys, After the recent activity last week, let's please please please be respectful while discussing this.

Ok, I only caught part three on TV last night, but you can catch the whole 5 and a half hour documentary here... http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/watch-video/#id=15393956

So much information packed into this, from Prohibition itself, to Chicago Beer wars, To presidential elections, to lessons we can learn today as far as legislating Morality.  The Great Depression and how allowing beer to be made, gave hundreds of thousands of jobs, to the final whisper of the 18th being removed.

In todays world, my friends, this offers a glimpse back as to what to avoid, as we have so many people pushing their lifestyles on others. From Smoking, to what we eat, what happens in our bedrooms, to Gun Control laws. After watching this, I have came to the opinion that I will be more steadfast in allowing people the right to do as they please, but if they harm another person deliberately, due to what they do, then they should face a harsher punishment. Ie. Stronger drunk driving laws.

I posted this here, instead of hot and Spicy, as I believe we all have the maturity to discuss the ramifications not only of Prohibition, but of the laws we have. I trust all of you to be pleasant when we disagree, But I for one believe it is a great topic of conversation, with 5 hours of video to show where we come from.

And this is not only for us in America, The world can look to us and our mistakes of the past to make their own minds up about their home countries.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: Ken Burns Prohibition Documentary.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
Unfortunately I have only seen some of this so cannot truly discuss the film. From what I have seen though it is another great one as we have become accustomed to from him. Prohibition is a classic example of the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:52 pm »
I couldn't agree with you more Brush Wolf.  It should be a good reminder today, of what we went through.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:35 pm »
It is also an example of what happens when one or both sides in the political arena refuse to compromise.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:07 pm »
Laws by definition are about imposing morality.  The consumption of alcohol was deeply engrained in our society to the point where too many individuals refused to obey the laws prohibiting it for it to work.  A better description of the failure of prohibition would be to describe it as the peril of legislating against centuries or even millennia of deeply held tradition.  The example of gun control that you mentioned fits very well into this.  Countries without a strong tradition of gun ownership have imposed rigid gun control regimes with little to no fuss.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:54:38 pm »
It is also an example of what happens when one or both sides in the political arena refuse to compromise.

At this point still Greed rules any issues!  Why was there slavery in the USA before it was the USA? Greed ! The spain plunderd the top soil of the gold and silver. That done they plunderd the soil to make sugar and other food for the old country but YET they did not want to work for it them selfs so they went to africa and got slaves!   Even to this day average americans are HATED for slaves .
 YET it was Spain that created the issue!  And now in real crapola the words" Jobs that americans wont do" is an issue ?  GREED is the rule on that "ISSUE" I own and run a farm most of politics is general bullshi!

I can NOT afford to hire help due to Gov bullcrap rules  !  ANy jack hole can claim a headache and insurance or legal pays claims. The simple stuff alone is a killer of new jobs any more.  Not to say anything about race issues, Hire anyone of any race most claim they do not have to work.  Its a Gov issue.
But Yet GOV any where is poeple  that should rule it not a few!
I call it the Lawyer loop hole end game .  The ideal Obama nation that has been created. Its not about who is working for who its now costs + ! Machines do alot of the work now anyway but still the cost$ Greed where and why? Legal issues?!  All = endgame   ALL about those few controlling all and get to cry about others for the null resulsts of Obama 2 1/3 years. 

Hot and spicey ?????? I have asked several ppl  Frey  also  i am to stupid  i guess  . My wife says i am better than that not to figure how to access anyway. :crazy2:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:44:35 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »
i watched this and it is fantastic. did you know that the word "scofflaw" is from the prohibition? americans who drank anyway were "scoffing the law" hence "scofflaw"

while i knew a lot of things about prohibition, it really solidified what i did know and reinforced that with new info. i have using prohibition as an example for years in the movement for legalization of another drug (guess ;) ) great 3 part series. go watch it!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »
On the scofflaw bit I have always believed that we had the same thing happen with the 55 speed limit.