Topic: "Patterns of Force" showin in Germany.  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
"Patterns of Force" showin in Germany.
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:22:36 pm »
I think this is wonderful, and shows that with time, even the deepest of wounds may heal.  It makes me wonder, if given 60 years or so, that any of one's enemies, may eventually turn to a friend. All the same, I understand why Germany had banned the episode, and am glad that they are allowing it to be seen now. Please note, I am not in anyway disparaging the Germany we have today at all. They are a great people, and have came along ways on their own , since the horrors of WW2.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/11/08/banned-star-trek-nazi-episode-boldly-goes-on-tv-for-first-time-in-germany/

Fans of the original Star Trek series in Germany got quite a surprise last Friday when an episode from the show’s second season was finally shown on the country’s public television station ZDFneo after being banned from broadcast for more than four decades, and the reason for the ban had nothing to do with the Chancellor being a Picard fan.

“Patterns of Force” was first broadcast in America on February 16, 1968 and found Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Dr. McCoy searching for a Federation historian (and one of Kirk’s professors at Starfleet Academy) on the planet Ekos. When they beam down to the surface they notice that the planet’s soldiers are dressed like Nazi stormtroopers.

The shadow of the Third Reich looms large over the action as Kirk and company soon find themselves in the midst of an galactic conflict between Ekos (ruled over by the missing historian) and the peaceful and technologically-advanced peaceful Zeon. It’s also the first time Spock has ever appeared shirtless in the show, and no stardate is mentioned at any point during the episode.

Nazi imagery is prevalent throughout “Patterns of Force,” something Germany has understandably always been very sensitive about in their entertainment. When the episode was originally slated for broadcast back in 1968, the downfall of Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich was still too fresh in the minds of a nation fighting to put the horrific legacy the Nazis left in the wake of their deserved destruction behind them forever. Despite being banned from television airings in Germany, “Patterns of Force” was shown once on pay TV and has subsequently been released on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray in dubbed and subtitled versions.

Until now it was the only episode of Star Trek banned from German television. ZDF editorial director Simone Emmelius told the German newspaper Bild, “By showing this episode, Star Trek fans will be able to see the complete series for the first time in its entirety.”

-----------

In many ways, Star Trek is again, leading the way, by allowing a country for the first time to revisit it's own past, without pointing fingers, or accusing the newest people of said country.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
Re: "Patterns of Force" showin in Germany.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »
Yea!! TOS still breaking barriers nearly 50 years later. 

Unrelated, I saw Sunshine on the SciFi channel this week.  Poll?
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:10:01 pm »
Sunshine sucked.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:18:26 pm »
Ahh sorry about the Poll guys, Things always hit hard this time of year, But I'll do my best to get back to it. I really need to just do a spread sheet, and go that way, so I can keep caught up.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:25:33 pm »
Yes it did.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:37:24 pm »
real life is more important, take care of that.  maybe put out a list of all movies in this tier, then I can work at watching those I don't remember well.  The time can be spent well by the rest of us as you work towards having some extra time for this.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »
There is just one little problem with this,.. ZDFneo is a HDtv digital defacto pay tv channel and as good as no one has it.
It is easy to broadcast something controversy if you exactly know that only a tiny fraction of the population is able to watch it.

Anyways tv is done  for me, they will quit sending analogue sat signals in april 29.2012., thats the last tv day for me.

They wont get a damned dime from me for this EU propaganda bs +  pseudo HD(720p) pay tv crap..

ZDF and ARD are state broadcasters,..and they are eager trying to force the EU concept and a miss understood  idea of Multi culty ideology down our throats.

They can go and FTS.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »
Yep, I haven't had TV for over three years now.  Just because nothing was really worth watching for the price I was paying to get it.  Sadly I didn't get that much time back to do things with, but it was a good move.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »
I think this is wonderful, and shows that with time, even the deepest of wounds may heal.  It makes me wonder, if given 60 years or so, that any of one's enemies, may eventually turn to a friend. All the same, I understand why Germany had banned the episode, and am glad that they are allowing it to be seen now. Please note, I am not in anyway disparaging the Germany we have today at all. They are a great people, and have came along ways on their own , since the horrors of WW2.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/11/08/banned-star-trek-nazi-episode-boldly-goes-on-tv-for-first-time-in-germany/

Fans of the original Star Trek series in Germany got quite a surprise last Friday when an episode from the show’s second season was finally shown on the country’s public television station ZDFneo after being banned from broadcast for more than four decades, and the reason for the ban had nothing to do with the Chancellor being a Picard fan.

“Patterns of Force” was first broadcast in America on February 16, 1968 and found Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and Dr. McCoy searching for a Federation historian (and one of Kirk’s professors at Starfleet Academy) on the planet Ekos. When they beam down to the surface they notice that the planet’s soldiers are dressed like Nazi stormtroopers.

The shadow of the Third Reich looms large over the action as Kirk and company soon find themselves in the midst of an galactic conflict between Ekos (ruled over by the missing historian) and the peaceful and technologically-advanced peaceful Zeon. It’s also the first time Spock has ever appeared shirtless in the show, and no stardate is mentioned at any point during the episode.

Nazi imagery is prevalent throughout “Patterns of Force,” something Germany has understandably always been very sensitive about in their entertainment. When the episode was originally slated for broadcast back in 1968, the downfall of Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich was still too fresh in the minds of a nation fighting to put the horrific legacy the Nazis left in the wake of their deserved destruction behind them forever. Despite being banned from television airings in Germany, “Patterns of Force” was shown once on pay TV and has subsequently been released on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray in dubbed and subtitled versions.

Until now it was the only episode of Star Trek banned from German television. ZDF editorial director Simone Emmelius told the German newspaper Bild, “By showing this episode, Star Trek fans will be able to see the complete series for the first time in its entirety.”

-----------

In many ways, Star Trek is again, leading the way, by allowing a country for the first time to revisit it's own past, without pointing fingers, or accusing the newest people of said country.

Stephen

Just wondering did they ban the Enterprise Epps that had the Nazi issue with alien influence?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:24:50 pm by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:31:22 am »
There is just one little problem with this,.. ZDFneo is a HDtv digital defacto pay tv channel and as good as no one has it.
It is easy to broadcast something controversy if you exactly know that only a tiny fraction of the population is able to watch it.

Anyways tv is done  for me, they will quit sending analogue sat signals in april 29.2012., thats the last tv day for me.

They wont get a damned dime from me for this EU propaganda bs +  pseudo HD(720p) pay tv crap..

ZDF and ARD are state broadcasters,..and they are eager trying to force the EU concept and a miss understood  idea of Multi culty ideology down our throats.

They can go and FTS.

FTS indeed. I had no idea that was what was going on brother.  If you haven't seen it yet , please let me know man. If anything else, I'll give you some log in details for my NEtflix account and maybe you can stream it for yourself. (Providing they don't block Netflix)

Stephen