Topic: Mismatched TOS stock footage  (Read 3170 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Mismatched TOS stock footage
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »
First chance I've had to post since I noticed this, but I was watching TOS DVDs during Irene,and the appearance of the Enterprise varies between scenes.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Mismatched TOS stock footage
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:33:19 pm »
Most of TOS.  They changed the tips of the nacelles and the deflector dish early on, but they seem to have continued using the stock footage of the unmodified Enterprise.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:02:34 pm »
Thats because they would use stock SFX footage from the Cage and Where no man has gone the 2 pilot episodes.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »
$ was the issues thoughout the entire Trek . 
Time for life!

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:21:10 pm »
Just recorded the All good things ending  of Tng , i swear i seen the same 3 kvort attack.  That almost took out the Galaxy X,  If it would have been made now days i still dont think fans would have a part as $ Is the real issue. Why pay fans for their thoughts when they own rights for many themes. Sad they go that way but its the face of Trek now. I vote for more fan made themes!  Enjoy the German and Mob theme  epps as in my opinon they are the best of Tos.
Time for life!

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:14:10 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this?

No offense meant, but I laughed out loud when I read this  :o

To me, the re-use of effects is part and parcel of the Styrofoam rocks, costume armor made of placemats and several planets that look just like Vasquez Rocks in LA... they did what they could with the budget they had "Cheapo" is kinda a harsh, arm-chair criticism of the reality of television production that exends through all of series'. No matter how much improved the effects get, every show got to the point of cutting corners, and hopefully, (and in their defense, usually) doing it in a way that only us obsessed fans notice after multiple viewings.

I mean, it's not like they're "trying to pull a fast one on us." They're making a show with what they've got. I just read a great quote from Lorne Michaels said about Sat. Night Live, "The show doesn't go on because it's ready, it goes on because it's 11:30." At some point or another, the show must go on, no other way to put it.

Personally I've really enjoyed the Blu-rays os TOS, two reasons being that A) they did a awesome job redoing the effects digitally, and B) with a click of a button, I can see the original effects..

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:46:21 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this?

No offense meant, but I laughed out loud when I read this  :o

To me, the re-use of effects is part and parcel of the Styrofoam rocks, costume armor made of placemats and several planets that look just like Vasquez Rocks in LA... they did what they could with the budget they had "Cheapo" is kinda a harsh, arm-chair criticism of the reality of television production that exends through all of series'. No matter how much improved the effects get, every show got to the point of cutting corners, and hopefully, (and in their defense, usually) doing it in a way that only us obsessed fans notice after multiple viewings.

Anyone remember Kojak? Every time they showed the under plane view of a landing or takeoff you were looking at the landing gear of a B52. To me a very glaring mistake but the average person would not notice. Shows use whatever footage they can get and think is close enough for their needs.

I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:32 pm »
animal, reread my post before you laugh at it.  At no point did I criticize them for using stock footage or pretennd that I had caught them trying to put one over on us.  I am a little disappointed that they continued to use obsolete footage, and that they mixed it in with newer footage.  But, I'm more disappointed with myself for not noticing it before.  I also wanted to know if anyone else had seen it earlier.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:04:39 pm »
again, and I mean this with all good humor, you just noticed this???

Sorry, maybe it's just me, having seen these episodes for FORTY plus years, I just assumed everyone was in on this by now... and you're right, you didn't criticize, but the thread seemed to be jumping on a "yeah, and they did it in xx too!" direction. I'm just trying to point out that it's a small thing, like the stryofoam rocks and shatner's changing waistline. For me, at least, it's about the story being told. I'm sure the producers would have loved to have new effects, but given a choice between reusing footage or not showing the Big E at all, they went with reusing shots.

I'm just turning into a grumpy old man, don't mind me  ;)

I loved it when the low budget forced some real interesting decisions, like how in "The Empath" they were lost in a huge empty space that was just a barely-lit soundstage, or the almost surreal "Western" town in "Spectre of the Gun."