Topic: Buck Rogers Begins  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Buck Rogers Begins
« on: August 28, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »
I`m told it is very low budget.
Link to IMDB
Credited cast:
Gil Gerard    ...    William Rogers
Bobby Rice    ...    Lucas 'Buck' Rogers
Erin Gray    ...    Frances Rogers
Nick Santamarina    Anthony 'Tony' Rogers

The original was Anthony Rogers not Buck.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Buck Rogers Begins
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »
I learned of it yesterday while talking to a guy who had met Erin Gray in the last day or two at a convention (he says she looks great for her age) in Toronto. 

It`ll be interesting to see.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 11:16:42 pm »
I already hate it.  I just do not like inserting anachronistic technology into the early 20th and period comic book spaceships.  The older I get, the harder it is to suspend disbelief.  Apollo 18 is my idea of historical sci-fi.  Buck Rogers has to have a believable back story.  There was no way to induce any kind of suspended animation back at the beginning of the 20th, and producing a rocket-plane before WWII just wasn't done, especially in the USA.  It sounds like "The World of Tomorrow."

If you want a descent Buck Rogers, the back story could, at the earliest, start with some secret project in the 1960's, with some poor test pilot voluntering for a suspended animation experiment that went wrong and was covered up.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:49:56 am »
You know, and to have Gil Gerard and Erin Grey in it, they could at least go with a more modern setting.  I mean, their Buck Rogers left earth in 1987 (and had the coolest fighters).  The quicky trailer was pretty weak sauce.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:49 am »
Oh see Tulwar, I loved the original Buck Rogers and Flash Gordons also. Even set in the 20's and 30's. There was just something about those old Radio shows, and little Films before the big talking picture that was gold to me.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:37 pm »
Oh see Tulwar, I loved the original Buck Rogers and Flash Gordons also. Even set in the 20's and 30's. There was just something about those old Radio shows, and little Films before the big talking picture that was gold to me.

Stephen

I don't mean to detract anything from the productions made in the 1920's/30's.  Sci-fi writers were ahead of their time.  Now, sci-fi writers have to struggle to keep up!  My gripe is with Hollywood producers that want to retain Art-Deco spacecraft designs for some sense of nostalgia.

With excellent writing, acting, and production techniques, a good director can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Just look at Stargate SG1.  I think it was the stupidest, most unbelievable concept for a series, but man, they did such a good job of it!  I'll be watching reruns until Hell freezes over!
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »
now that I can agree with 100%.  I still go back and watch reruns of SG1 and Atlantis.  Heh, I recently re-watched an old old Movie , called , the  Last Dinosaur.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076294/

Like the movie the Green Slime from the 60's, it was a japanese/American made film, horrible acting, The T-rex kept changing size all through the film, but the Story was great. when I think about it, while it was Elric of Melnabourne, it was I believe one of my first TV shows that introduced the Tragic failed Hero.

Stephen

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »
Ole buck huh i hope they get the fighter thoughs close atleast.
Time for life!

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:38 am »
Looks pretty awesome to me.  I'm eagerly awaiting their first episode.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.