Poll

The Last Starfighter vs Planet of the apes.

The last Starfighter
10 (55.6%)
Planet of the apes.
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: August 21, 2011, 05:01:03 pm

Topic: Sci FI Poll Bracket 2:  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci FI Poll Bracket 2:
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »
Starting Bracket 2, and will fill in if needed with other films.

The Last Starfighter (1984) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087597/

vs

Planet of the Apes.  (1968) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063442/

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: Sci FI Poll Bracket 2:
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:39:44 am »
Going to think about this one. I enjoyed Starfighter more, but think Apes made a better contribution.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:24 pm »
I hope we don't keep getting ties.  Both were good, but Starfighter was silly.  Besides, PotA had "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

What makes classical music?  A definition, that may not be right, says that any music that is later redone by someone else is classical music.  Nobody will ever remake starfighter.

And so...

Composer Craig Safan was recently interviewed about his involvement with various scores ...  ... and discusses his tremendous work on THE LAST STARFIGHTER.
"There are plans for a sequel. There has been a script written, it's been storyboarded. I think they're just sort of waiting for the final go."

Well crap.  I voted for Apes because it was better.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:19:28 pm »
I went ape as well. ;D
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
I picked a few days a go my pick is Last starfighter .  Hopes that this movie will be the final and NOT be remade in to normal crap as what remakes are to this date. The remake of POTA has been made and is not fan fair like some wants even though it was a better movie than the original in my eyes.
Time for life!

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:45 am »
Loved Last Starfighter.

Apes is a classic, and more science Fiction, but overall I simply enjoyed Starfighter more.  It didn't take itself too seriously and was just there to have fun.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:52:35 pm »
Starfighters purpose was to show off computer animation more than anything else.  No models all work done on a supercomputer. 

Planet of the Apes was to make a fun movie.  The sequels were to capitalize on its success while spending less money on each of them while wondering why they weren't as successful as the original  :smackhead:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »
Starfighters purpose was to show off computer animation more than anything else.  No models all work done on a supercomputer. 

Planet of the Apes was to make a fun movie.  The sequels were to capitalize on its success while spending less money on each of them while wondering why they weren't as successful as the original  :smackhead:

I will disagree over planet of the apes, it was not made to be a fun movie.  It had a very politically charged story/value being pushed.  1968, deep in the cold war with nuclear war hanging over our heads.

I also minorly disagree with your starfighter line also, but not anough to write up an offense on it, it is close anough.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.