Poll

The Andromeda Strain (1971) vs. District 9 (2009)

The Andromeda Strain.
3 (50%)
District 9
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 10, 2011, 07:46:27 am

Topic: Sci FI Poll 33: Old vs New  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci FI Poll 33: Old vs New
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:46:27 am »
The Andromeda Strain (1971) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066769/

vs.

District 9 (2009)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Sci FI Poll 33: Old vs New
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:32:53 am »
Must abstain from this one. I haven't seen district-9 yet.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:54 am »
Neither have I. :(
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:03:30 am »
as meh as District 9 was, it still was a little bit better than the The Andromeda Strain so District 9 it is for me by a hair
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:50:03 pm »
Thank goodness you put the 1971 Andromeda Strain up instead of the newer one.  The newer one sucked!

Here's the take from the IMDB:

This is the MTV version
4 June 2008 | by siderite (Romania) – See all my reviews

During the late sixties, Michael Crichton wrote a novel about contamination with an alien microorganism. At that time, science was hailed as the pinnacle of human achievement and it was thought that anything is possible. Therefore it is normal for the book and the subsequent film from 1971 to focus on the science, on the formalism, on the way people think their way out of a situation.

Fast forward to 2008. People are dumber, science is a joke, people need to look good and the design must be perfect. Some horrible deaths and some fear of government conspiracy or terrorism is the only way tension can be achieved.

The problem is that I have anticipated this. My own theory says that if you expect it to happen, there won't be a negative response, yet I am terribly angry at this mini series BECAUSE it was exactly what I expected. Things have been added to the original story that make no sense and make no sense to add: government black ops, wormholes, message from the future, ecological controversy over ocean vent mining, etc, etc. As expected the effects were really good, the people looked good, the computer interface design was flawless. And it all fell completely empty.

If you are familiar to The Andromeda Strain book or 1971 movie, you might find it interesting to see how it can go horribly wrong. Otherwise, just watch the 1971 version. It is slow paced, faithful to the book and a lot more interesting.

Still regret buying that DVD.  The 1971 original is a classic that was done very well, and didn't need this stain on it's reputation...

With all that, I voted for District 9.  I liked it a lot, so there!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »
I've never seen the Andromeda Strain, but District 9 has "doggy style with a demon."