Topic: Star Trek – Infinite Space FTP MMO  (Read 3468 times)

Offline BlazinBud

• Lt. Junior Grade
Star Trek – Infinite Space FTP MMO
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:56:13 am »

Link for Star Trek IS.  http://startrek-is.com/

Came across this; this morning.  Decided to give it a look.  I think its still in early beta but they are taking signups for beta testers now.  The screenshots look good also.  Here is a little info I found on it. 

A new Star Trek Online game based on the Star Trek: Deep Space 9 series is currently being developed by Keen Games and will be published GameForge this fall. The name of this new Star Trek Online game is Star Trek: Infinite Space and it is built using the Unity 3D engine which is the same engine that powers Super Hero Squad Online and Battlestar Galactica Online.

In Star Trek: Infinite Space, you can either play for the Federation or for the Klingon Empire as a Starship Captain where you will be commanding and managing your own crew. One part of commanding and managing your crew is by sending them to explore planet surfaces. Unfortunately, as the Captain of the ship, you will not be allowed to take part in the exploration, at least for now.

Most of the gameplay of Star Trek: Infinite Space will focus on space combat rather than on exploring surfaces of planets. Some players might get disappointed by this limitation but it does give the game some room for expansion. Who knows, they might make Surface Exploration as an additional future update to the game but, for now, it will be all about space.

Stats and skills are normal part of every MMORPG but, in Star Trek: Infinite Space, your stats and skills will depend on the quality and abilities of your crew. The better your crew, the better your stats and skills will become. Progressing through the game will give you better crew, better weapons and other things to customize your ship. You’ll also be able to get bigger and better ships as you advance in the game.

Star Trek: Infinite Space will play more like a traditional MMORPG where you can form parties with other Starship Captains and work together to finish a mission. Like a traditional MMORPG, there will be a tanker, a damage dealer and a healer which is the Holy Trinity of MMORPG. Of course, the game can be played solo and there will be lots of missions for you to fully absorb the Star Trek experience.

As a Free-To-Play game, Star Trek: Infinite Space will have an Item Mall where players can purchase vanity items. Items that will boosts your level gain like an XP Boost or something will also be able in the Item Mall. The game will have both PVE and PVP but will there be items that will benefit players in PVP? I have no idea. I guess, we’ll just have to wait and see

Here is a link for some 3d models of in game ships, just change the ships with the "select ship arrow" might have to download a plugin in order to show the 3d content.  The ships look really good IMOP.  Click and drag the 3d model to move it 360 degrees.  Zoom in and out with mouse wheel.
http://startrek-is.com/media/

Sample sound track sounds good also, nice Star Trek orchestra music at the bottom of the media page above.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:03:46 pm by FA Frey XC »
Thanks alot,

RFA-asa-BlazinBud

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: Star Trek – Infinite Space FTP MMO
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »
I've been following this for a few months now.  The graphics look intense, but the Tanks-Deeps-Heals set up has me concerned.  It's the main reason why I never got into STO, and if this has the same setup, I'll skip by this one too.  I don't need to be playing WoW in space.  I can re-up my WoW account if I need that kind of fix.  (So far, I've been WoW free for two months... (Sounds like an AA meeting doesn't it?))
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »
Please check with admins of this board before posting adverts for other games.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »
Totally agree with you Q! Yes it does sound like an AA meeting! lol

Why can't game makers make a Star Trek MMO without tanks, dps, and healers!? I mean it sounds like they just don't want to put an effort into making a solid Star Trek game based on SFB and Starfleet command. So annoying!! At first seeing this post I got excited but was dismayed to find why another game company would go out and make another STO clone. Go figure, well we can all hope that someone will take up where Taldren left off.  :banghead: Very sad times, I feel like the Federation in the show Enterprise waiting 10 years before the Vulcans would give them the green light to launch their warp 5 Enterprise NX-01!

Don't get me wrong, the models look good but the game sounds lame! Another WoW in space!

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:31 am »
The "Tank -DPS - Heals" mechanic of a Starship game is f*cking retarded.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »
Well, the problem is that no one wants to put the effort into making a fleet combat game that is an MMO, and SFB is off-limits.  Mostly due to Mr. Cole, but Paramount doesn't want anything to do with SFB either.  Whether that's due to Mr. Cole's demands for compensation above and beyond what it's worth, or the direction that Cole took the game, I suspect that it's a combination of both.  So, with the focus on graphics rather than game play, they just redress a game mechanic that is popular, and instead of making the characters Elves, Dwarves and humans, they make them Federation Starships, Klingon Warships and Romulan Warbirds.  Despite its ludicrous factor.  The Tank-DPS-Heals set up works in a fantasy environment where magic (or something similar) is pervasive.  Not in a pseudo-reality where it's technology that differentiates it from our reality.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »
Man sounds like we are sooo screwed then!!!  :banghead:

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »
naa, just hope SFC makes a come back when all the patch work is done.

Offline EagleEye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »
Hear Hear!!! Yes lets hope so!! Would love to see the numbers like I saw back in my M-Player days! ;)

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 10:33:53 pm »
Now those were the days!

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:08:56 am »
I completely agree with your remarks on Paramount and Cole,  Lt-Q, but I think the simpler logic comes down to, "WoW" is very popular/successful $-wise, so the industry jumps on the bandwagon. Which is a shame, 'cause this site alone shows the tenacious appeal of a game like SFC, whether the support comes from wargamers, Trekkies, insane modelers, what-have-you.

How to draw eyeballs to this game is a question for the ages.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »
Well... not really at this point.  WoW just released their Q2 numbers, they're down another 300k subscriptions.  Putting them down just shy of half a million for the year.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112078-World-of-Warcraft-Subscriptions-Continue-to-Slide

I think part of it is people cutting unnecessary expenditures, but I know a large part of it is the lack of content, and the repetitiveness of the Tanks-DPS-Heals instances.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:12 am »
"Scout -  line ship -  specialty ship"  absolutely can work but it would require SvC and Paramount to stop being c*nts about all of this.  How many medicre (okay, sh*tty) game need to come out before they realize this just doesn't work?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .