Poll

2010 : Odyssey 2  vs K-pax

2010 : Odyssey 2
8 (57.1%)
K-pax
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 04, 2011, 01:32:53 pm

Topic: Sci FI Poll 31  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci FI Poll 31
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »
My apologies for being late on this, have some real life stuff going on.

2010: Odyssey 2   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086837/

vs,

K-pax  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272152/

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
Re: Sci FI Poll 31
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:35:21 pm »
K-PAX was such a wonderful, touching movie.  2010 wasn't much like 2001 except it was based on the same events.  K-PAX made you think.  2010 made it so you didn't have to, but without adding anything exciting to replace it with. 

You can tell where I voted.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:22:39 am »
I hear ya Andromeda, I enjoyed both movies for differing reasons, but as for raw emotion, K-pax was great. 2010 will always be in my mind, a memory of the cold war in many ways.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
K-PAX is my vote .  :crazy2:
Time for life!

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:42 pm »
Stephen,

Is that cold war reaction an American thing?  I lived through it too, but I don't remember attaching much fear to it. 

I did think the cold war think was very heavy-handed in 2010.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:25:53 pm »
To be honest, I was pretty much in only on the tail end of it, the Reagan years etc. But I do remember films such as this, and Rocky, having a back story of the cold war ending, in our generation.  To be honest, I believe most of the fear was in the 60's what with America and the Then Soviet Union playing international chess, and of course reaching a height during the Cuban Missile crises.

I was told, that members of the family had built fall out shelters, and /or helped local businesses schools make them , But it was always in passing, Much like stories of the War of the Worlds and Aunt Finace packing up all the kids to run from the Aliens, a few decades earlier.

I'm sure the fear was very real to them, but it raises an interesting concept. Much as you and I , never lived through a hatred of Japs or Germans, Blacks, or Italians, It is very possible, that 40-50 years down the road of time, our own children may not think twice of friendships between current enemies we have now.

But getting back on point, The 80's was alive with trust but verify, and it was amazing seeing two world leaders, who where great friends, but stood light years apart on ideology.  I believe the cinema reflected on that relationship to a great extent.  To give another example, look at the 50's, and our new found friend Atomic energy, which was reflected in 100's of horror films from Ants to uhm something else that starts with a "Z". (as a side note, a large number of those silly 1950's films, are personal favorites of mine, not just counting classics such as The Thing from another world, or The day the Earth stood still.)

so, to kind of you a time line for myself, I was born in 1970, long after many of the cold war battles had been fought, such as Korea, or Steve Adlay at the UN, hell, Save Gary Francis Powers was something I read about in books, once again, in the 80's.  In many ways, I feel fortunate to have not lived through that time, as I don't know how I would have been able to keep my mouth shut when they played the "Duck and Cover" cartoons at school, when common sense would have told me, a desk will not help.

Stephen

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 08:09:45 pm »
I'm about ten years older than you and grew up in a coal-mining town in Ireland.  I guess we had different issues on our minds than the USA/USSR situation.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:37:55 pm »
I'm about ten years older than you and grew up in a coal-mining town in Ireland.  I guess we had different issues on our minds than the USA/USSR situation.
The wars had diffrent results depending the area where one comes from.
USA/USSR situation can be put on 1 person General ?????? Name it poeple? This one General hated the idea of Ussr to try to go to war on a second front in the middle of WW2. Media ran with that issue.  :-X Fear on bolth sides made the cold war!
Time for life!

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »
I know Patton was an advocate for making an early peace with the Nazis and turning on the Soviets... really wouldn't have been a bad idea...
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »
I'm thinking Ike to be honest. He hated the Russkies IIRC.

@ Andromeda, Oh I can imagine man, differences where night and day.  Hugely different things going on between our two nations at the time.

Stephen

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:41:53 am »
The wars had diffrent results depending the area where one comes from.
USA/USSR situation can be put on 1 person General ?????? Name it poeple? This one General hated the idea of Ussr to try to go to war on a second front in the middle of WW2. Media ran with that issue.  :-X Fear on bolth sides made the cold war!

I don't think you can place the "blame" for the Cold War on any one persons shoulders. When WWII ended Joe Average on the streets of the Western world pretty much forgot about the Soviet Union. That all changed in August of 1949 when the Soviets tested an atomic bomb. This new fear was further reinforced with the start of the Korean War even though the Soviets were never officially involved although they did unofficially provide pilots for the North Korean Air Force.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 02:03:45 am »
K-Pax was boring, 2010 wasn't...guess which I picked.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.