Poll

2001 : A Space odyssey vs. Dune

2001: A Space Odyssey
16 (61.5%)
Dune (1984)
10 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: July 06, 2011, 02:06:42 am

Topic: Sci Fi Poll 23: Sand and Space.  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci Fi Poll 23: Sand and Space.
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:42 am »
20001: A Space Odyssey   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/

vs

Dune (1984)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/

Two classic Sci FI goes head to head this time. I'll even have to think about this one.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Sci Fi Poll 23: Sand and Space.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:10:17 am »
while Dune was a good show, I was disappointed in much of the way it was done.  I probably would have liked it much more if I hadn't read it first.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:14:51 am »
If it were the book, Dune would win. But David Lynch (Mr. style over substance himself) and a substantially epic story like Dune just don't mix.

That said, I have never watched the ending of 2001 without falling asleep.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:24 am »
2001 may have had some boring moments, but the beginning was a classic.  Dune had nothing redeemable about it. 
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »
While 2001 was an enormous triumph - I chose Dune for it's pure - more interesting - sci fi premise.

I also can't watch 2001 without falling asleep - but I catch parts of Dune all the time - and I'm one of the few contrarians who actually believe it was a good interpretation of the source material (if not the most accurate).

Death to the non-believers!

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:07:58 pm »
Lessee, that movie with all the cool drug induced sequences at the end (not by Mr Clarke, but the guys who made the movie),

versus Patrick Stewart yelling 'Atomics!'

Yeah, for entertainment factor, I'm going with Dune.  2001 is good hard sci fi (to a point), which showed us what an orbital station, etc. might look like, but Dune has psionics, sandworms, dueling houses...

Something for the detractors to consider.  The movie very likely attracted a lot of interest in Herbert's books, which is good for the Herbert Franchise.  And, as I've said before, David Lynch had a LOT of concepts to cram into a single 2 hour+ movie, and didn't have a sequel in mind, so I think his interpretation hit upon a lot of the finer points all things considering.

The efforts that came afterwords, while more true to the 'script' put forward by the books, did drag on at times...

I enjoyed 2010 more than 2001, simply for the replayability factor.  Roy Scheider and the gang made a very enjoyable movie, with no funky drug induced sequences to pass the time.  Of course, the kaleidoscope effects of 2001 do appeal to some... so while I do enjoy 2001, it's not a movie I feel the need to rewatch over and over.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:51 pm »
 :o !

I'm practically speechless here....

When I voted, I was sure that it was going to show up as one of those one-sided polls, like "Empire Strikes Back"  vs "Attack of the Clones"...

I mean, I like David Lynch... I mean, I really really do.... to me, "Eraserhead" is one of the most unique and interesting films I've ever seen....

but, Dune?? Seriously?? Over 2001????

Man. Kids today...  ::)

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »
For pure entertainment value I went with Dune. I hated the computer in 2001 and the end of the movie left me...bored. I always wanted "Dave" to make some smart-***ed remark to Hal.

Dave. What are you doing, Dave?-Hal

Im playing with......-Dave

Well, you get the idea.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
Personally I think Blue Velvet his magnum opus.

That said Dune is a nice style flick. Lynch has great style if nothing else. Unfortunately it captures little of the substance of Frank Herbert's novel.

The SciFi miniseries did a much better job of that.

Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:51 am »
Blue Velvet, really.  If it is the one I am thinking of I shudder.  :crazy2:
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:54 am »
Personally I think Blue Velvet his magnum opus.

That said Dune is a nice style flick. Lynch has great style if nothing else. Unfortunately it captures little of the substance of Frank Herbert's novel.

The SciFi miniseries did a much better job of that.

I couldn't agree more.  SciFi did an excellent interperitation of Dune.  The 1984 film sucked.  I hated it from the Baron's pimples to the lightning bolts comming off Shai-Hulud.  If we were comparing books, Dune would win hands down.  Dispite being a poor story, the special effects in 2001 have yet to be recreated.  The habitat portion of the Discovery was filmed inside a Ferris Wheel.  That still amazes me.  They showed computer before computer animation was possible.  Kubrick did a lot of amazing special effects in that film that flowed like nature.  Except for the worms themselves, there was not one special effect in Dune that didn't look like straight up animation.  If you want a story, read the book.  I've never read anything by Clarke I wish to remember, but the way Kubrick set up the shots in his film was pure genius.  When I see a film, I want eye-candy.  2001 had pleanty.  Dune was an amazing novel, and had a compelling plot.  Any director could work with that, but Lynch threw in a lot of stupid crap that didn't need to be there, and completely missed the themes of the book.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 02:10:08 pm »
(As an aside, here's a little tidbit that I thought was common knowledge, but over the years I've found that many didn't realize this)

"2001 A Space Odyssey" is neither a "movie based on a book by A.C. Clarke" or a "book based on a movie by Kubrick." The two men worked cooperatively on it; Kubrick initially approached Clarke and asked to corroborate on a "good sci-fi film." They brainstormed and shared ideas, using Clarke's short story "The Sentinel" as a starting point, and then began to work on their indivdual works, continuing to mold the story together. They adjusted as they went, which is why the book sends Dave & Hal to Saturn but the movie uses Jupiter -  Kubrick's FX people found Jupiter easier to build. There are two great books on this - "Lost Worlds of 2001" by Clarke, with stuff lost and/or changed as they went, and "The Making of Kubrick's 2001," which is more of a collection of articles & stories about making the movie.

In the "Making Of" book there was, among many others, a quote from Kubrick that went, "My advice to any young filmmaker is, to get a camera and make a movie, of any sort." When I was 15 I did exactly that, and haven't put it down since :)

I don't know how hard it is to find those books nowadays but both are worth the search.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 12:44:03 am »
Dune i vote, there was some action and a plot that a average human can understand .  2001  more up to the thoughts of one viewing at the times. mushrooms or acid needed for some parts but the  tech and space rgi are spetacular for cgi and others!  :angel:
Time for life!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:45:29 pm »
:o !

I'm practically speechless here....

When I voted, I was sure that it was going to show up as one of those one-sided polls, like "Empire Strikes Back"  vs "Attack of the Clones"...

I mean, I like David Lynch... I mean, I really really do.... to me, "Eraserhead" is one of the most unique and interesting films I've ever seen....

but, Dune?? Seriously?? Over 2001????

Man. Kids today...  ::)

I had to vote for Dune as unlike 2001 most people could "get" most of the movie without having read the book. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 01:16:51 am »
Is the poll about the books or the movies?   
Time for life!

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:12 pm »
Movies, but 2001 was done as a movie and a book at the same time.  It is based on an earlier short story by Clarke.
If it was books, I'm sure Dune would win going away.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:24 pm »
It's strange, I saw nothing in the movie Dune that made it worth my while watching it.  Folks on this forum are saying that it is a better film than 2001, because it had a good story.  I've read the book, and didn't need to see the film.  The film added nothing to what I experienced reading.  It was nothing more than a typical Hollywood hatchet job on classic literature.

2001, on the other hand, did not butcher a classic.  Sure, the plot and story was some kind of pointless psychodelic BS, but it did something that went far beyond that limitation.  It presented a different world.  Imagine if the space program was not cut back in the 1970's, and we continued to build upon what we had started.  Then there are the wonderful visuals of people dealing with zero-G.  There was the stewardess in velco socks, and David Bowman jogging inside a ferris wheel.  These two scenes alone justify looking at the film.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 06:24:01 am »
I remember many scenes from 2001 vividly. All I can remember about Dune was that Sting was in it.

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 10:26:19 am »
For me both movies are brilliant in their own special way. I cant vote for one or the other.
If you read Frank Herberts book its painfully obvious that it is to big to be adequately put into pictures.
But its a nice compressed trip  through the story,and the music is awesome.

Well and 2001 ,what can i say, i was already with twelve a fan of it and lured unsuspecting classmates into the movie,.. the reactions to it were,.. well interesting;).

At that time i also thought we would be eventually be able to make huge parts of that technology a reality.
Which is/was just an extension of Wernher von Brauns future vision for nasa ,I underestimated the unwillingness of the public to grasp how important space exploration is,and consequently fund it.

Today i think its possible that the whole conventional approach is wrong and unnecessary,to shorten it up my thoughts circle around  a Holographic structure of the universe and the nature of time as a function of space.
Dream time of the Aborigines comes into mind..,maybe drives like in Dune are closer then we think.

I would love to become a navigator and fold space.
Maybe we all do that with our daily decisions already by selecting all the time one variation of reality from phase space,why not chose the  vivid,even if its short lived, cat on Mars instead a alive or dead one in a box... etc you proly get my drift:)
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division