Poll

ST: Insurrecton vs. Nemesis.

ST: Insurrection (1998)
14 (70%)
ST: Nemesis (2002)
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 17, 2011, 10:42:07 am

Topic: Sci FI Poll 26: Insurrecting my Nemisis.  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci FI Poll 26: Insurrecting my Nemisis.
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:42:07 am »
Here we go, two movies from the Next Generation crew.  Both of which fared poorly at the box office. Who will win here, Insurrection, the most poetic piece in ST movie lore, or Nemesis, the film with more doppelgangers than you can shake a torpedo at?

Star Trek : Insurrection  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120844/

Star Trek Insurrection Trailer

vs.

Star Trek Nemesis.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/

Star Trek Nemesis Trailer

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Sci FI Poll 26: Insurrecting my Nemisis.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:45 am »
Both were awful. >.<
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:29:52 am »
Insurrection wasn't AS awful.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:42 am »
Guess you have to pretend you are voting for president and instead of voting for the best, you vote for the least worst.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:43:47 am »
Nemesis had the more epic battle scene, but Insurrection had the Enterprise flying through Hubble telescope photos.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »
Insurrection, Id have to say mainly due to Rykers interesting flying during the main battle scenes there
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:20:14 pm »
Insurection. No contest. Insurection suffered from not being First Contact. Children coming home to evict their parents. That's the kind of social story star trek is known for.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »
I have to go with Insurrection also.  There was just something about it I liked better.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »
Both struck me as 'try hard' and just didn't capture what TNG was to me.

I think... (pondered this for about 10 minutes)  they are equally bad! So I guess I can't vote! lol

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »
I really liked Nemesis.  Insurrection was okay, but pretty boring at parts.  Nemesis was a pretty good movie and didn't really understand why it got such bad press from Trekkers/Trekkies.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »
Nemesis was a pretty good movie and didn't really understand why it got such bad press from Trekkers/Trekkies.

Messing with continuity (Remans). 

The idea that a slave race could make the scientific breakthroughs (scientist slaves?) and build a mega ship right in the Romulan system without it being noticed.  Imagine as a comparison the idea of black slaves during the civil war building a diesel powered dreadnought right in the southern shipyards without it being noticed, sounds silly doesn't it?

The ridiculous Picard clone idea.

And so forth.

Obviously I'm for Insurrection.
 Just how many light years away did they detect the various android parts (how much power did those parts have to emit to be detected that far away and why wasn't Data detectable the same way?)? 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 07:21:51 pm »
Nemesis was a pretty good movie and didn't really understand why it got such bad press from Trekkers/Trekkies.

Messing with continuity (Remans). 

The idea that a slave race could make the scientific breakthroughs (scientist slaves?) and build a mega ship right in the Romulan system without it being noticed.  Imagine as a comparison the idea of black slaves during the civil war building a diesel powered dreadnought right in the southern shipyards without it being noticed, sounds silly doesn't it?

The ridiculous Picard clone idea.

And so forth.

Obviously I'm for Insurrection.
 Just how many light years away did they detect the various android parts (how much power did those parts have to emit to be detected that far away and why wasn't Data detectable the same way?)?

Don't really know how the Remans messed with conitinuity.  As for how a slave race was able to build a powerful warship, I think the film explained that the Romulans gave them a lot more freedom during the dominion war because they needed troops.  Shinzon was originally intended to replace Picard as a Romulan sleeper agent.  When the project was scrapped, he was sent to the mines of Remus to die.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »
Have to go with Insurrection as well.  Nemesis had some promise, but the fleet battle which would have been epic, (and almost made up for some of the giant plot holes) was stopped by a hit that they were "ready" for?  Although when I was watching it in the theatre... I couldn't help but scream "It's about time!" when Picard ordered a full phaser spread.

Insurrection was TNG episode, albeit a three parter crammed into one sitting.  I think Riker had a "wait a second" moment when the bridge was being shot up around him.  Took the helm himself instead of letting Deanna take it.  But it does beg the question (which Q asked in the "Q Continuum" book series ("Nice ship Jean-Luc, but what happened to the last one? Don't tell me, you let Troi take the helm?"))  Did Picard have Troi take the helm because he knew she wouldn't miss?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
Re: Sci FI Poll 26: Insurrecting my Nemesis.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:39:08 pm »
I thought Insurrection was sweet and Nemesis was hateful.  What a horrible way to end the TNG franchise.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:44 am »
Don't remember much of either of these movies... so no vote.  Must not have been that memorable...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »
I found the poll to be a hard choice but ultimately felt that Insurrection was a better film.

FWIW, "out there" on the internet is the script for Nemesis by John Logan that has dialogue & scenes not in the movie that would have made it, if not a better film, at least not as much of a Picard?data show, again.

http://movies.trekcore.com/nemesis/nemesis.pdf

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 09:26:38 pm »
I did not like either movie big part of Tng not trek to me, just crap. BnB went all hot and spicey Even Enterprise has the suckyness. Just my opinions. Vote of the 2 - i go for Nemisis .
Time for life!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »
Don't really know how the Remans messed with conitinuity.  As for how a slave race was able to build a powerful warship, I think the film explained that the Romulans gave them a lot more freedom during the dominion war because they needed troops.  Shinzon was originally intended to replace Picard as a Romulan sleeper agent.  When the project was scrapped, he was sent to the mines of Remus to die.

The very existence of the Remans which is never mentioned before (or likely since) as a crucial part of the Romulan military (by building their ships) does so. 

More freedom?  Enough to gain the education to design and build a super ship?  Enough that they could hide it in a shipyard that HAD to have security that would have noticed such a ship?  Enough to build weapons that could devastate Romulus?  Seems unlikely to me.

Picard just isn't important enough for such a target.  How could the Romulans even brief such a agent properly?   The Enterprise bridge crew knows him too well the clone would need to be perfect in every way, the tone of voice, the phrasing and timing all would be give aways.  It might fool strangers but not his close associates (not to mention a shipboard empath).  The moment it tried to act it would be countered.  Ships Computer:Please enter security code.  How does the clone get them?
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 09:32:27 pm »
Only one episode really dealt with the Romulan homeworld in depth.  If the Remans were the slave race that was building the Romulan ships, they would have already had sufficient education to build a powerful warship.  During the war, they would have had the resources to scout out  a location, as well as sources of supplies to build the Scimitar..  As for Picard not being important enough to replace, he was one of the Federation's most prestigious and someone likely to ascend to a key position in the Starfleet hierarchy in the near future.  He became captain of the Federation's flagship, and was offered a promotion to the admiralty in season 1.  Regarding critical information, the Romulans were shown to have the technology to rip information from someone's mind.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:45:32 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 08:00:37 pm »
If the Remans were the slave race that was building the Romulan ships, they would have already had sufficient education to build a powerful warship.  During the war, they would have had the resources to scout out  a location, as well as sources of supplies to build the Scimitar..  As for Picard not being important enough to replace, he was one of the Federation's most prestigious and someone likely to ascend to a key position in the Starfleet hierarchy in the near future.  He became captain of the Federation's flagship, and was offered a promotion to the admiralty in season 1.  Regarding critical information, the Romulans were shown to have the technology to rip information from someone's mind.

The knowledge to build and the knowledge to design and make tech breakthroughs are not the same.  A "Rosie the Rivetter" might build large sections of ship without being able to design those parts.  Even a machinist who makes others designs may well be limited in creating their own original designs let alone making scientific breakthroughs. 

Who the heck lets slave fly around in their own starships to find locations for shipyards?  Who lets them control unrestricted resources (antimatter for one thing). 

Even with the "raw" knowledge of Picard it doesn't give the ability to imitate him in detail.  Phrasing, timing vocal tones and body language are all difficult to handle. You also still have the resident empath and Geordi whose vision would reveal differences in the clone from the original.

You only get offered promotions so often before being passed over.  Picard has refused often enough.  Even with all that he was still refused permission to fight the Borg at Wolf359 (not trusted enough remember).