Topic: Preview of the next Star Trek Movie???  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Preview of the next Star Trek Movie???
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:41:55 am »
I just played a game called Star Trek Expeditions.  It's been recently released and occurs in the NEW alternate Star Trek Universe.  It's illustrations are actually photos...and hence I am wondering if this game is actually a preview of the next Star Trek movie.

It may, it may not, be aware...if it is...spoilers follow...

The game has photos of Klingons in some sort of battle armor, aliens, and characters.  It also has a model of a Klingon Battle Cruiser...and it looks similar and yet different from what we are used to.  For starters it has two giant guns (which I assume are disrupters) sticking out of it.

The game basically has the Enterprise trying to convince the planet Nibia to join or align with the Federation, only problem is that Nibia is having some geological disturbances, and at the same time a Klingon Fleet is coming to try to convince Nibia to join the Klingon Empire.  A Klingon Battlecruiser is already in orbit, whilst the Klingons try to instigate a rebellion amongst the people against the planetary government, and Kirk and Company try to fight off the Klingons, quell their advances on the planet, and convince the planet to align itself with the Federation, before the big battle and coming of the Klingon Fleet.

Normally I might say that it's just a game, but the photos in it are making me wonder if it's a preview to the next movie, and if that movie is going to basically be one with Klingons.

Just me wondering.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Preview of the next Star Trek Movie???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:21 am »
I had read an article earlier, and it had mentioned, that it is indeed a filler between the first movie and the second, and that it will be Canon in the new Trekverse. I'll try and find it for you in a bit Dash.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:08:21 am »
The game has photos of Klingons in some sort of battle armor, aliens, and characters.  It also has a model of a Klingon Battle Cruiser...and it looks similar and yet different from what we are used to.  For starters it has two giant guns (which I assume are disrupters) sticking out of it.

looks like this

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:44:55 am »
you know something... I kinda like the way that looks... definitely screams predator.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:22 am »
Looks good so far ,Im sure the true fans will hate it as always.
Time for life!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:52:02 am »

So, what do you mean by a true fan?  I like that Klingon ship overall, so that mean I am not a true fan?
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:32:39 am »

So, what do you mean by a true fan?  I like that Klingon ship overall, so that mean I am not a true fan?
The 70% of persons that hated the first movie before release and what 85% after, most Trekies i would say. Hell from what i read and see most here hate jj theme work.  :-X Edit im not trying to offend just stateing facts i see. I myself is a fan of jj work cause its new to me new is all that matters. After all its all for fun is it not?
Time for life!

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 02:18:18 am »

looks like this

Yep, thats the one.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:43:34 am »
I don't think so but you never know.

I would think it is ths game you are talking about [youtube]IZxZgb83Ax0[/youtube]

Look out StarFleet Battle types an new Kid is in town.I can see this being turned in to a pc game as well.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:16 am »
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Trek-Game-Will-Bridge-The-Story-Gap-Between-Star-Trek-And-The-Sequel-25536.html

Star Trek Game Will Bridge The Story Gap Between Star Trek And The Sequel

It’s starting to seem like the team behind Star Trek is at last getting to work in earnest on creating Star Trek: The Next. As part of that endeavor Star Trek writer Roberto Orci has been consulting on an upcoming Star Trek video game which will not only pick up where the last movie left off, but will bridge the gap between the Star Trek movie we saw in 2009 and the next one, whenever that finally gets done.

Talking to Game Pro Orci explains their plan this way:

So one of the reasons we were excited to participate in this game is that we wanted it to be very much something that can fit in between the two movies, something that was in a way – fans will tell you that it's only canon when it’s on screen in a movie; and so fine, Alex [Kurtzman] and I, and Tim [Jones] and J.J [Abrams]. and Brian will acquiesce and say that it’s not canon unless it’s not on film. But we would like to think that the game and everything that we do in between to be as close to canon as you can get because it’s actually being taken into consideration with where the movies are.

So I would say that what’s going to be different about this game is that it’s going to fit into our new universe. It’s going to fit into the Star Trek that we were lucky enough to generate, and it’s going to be a story that happens within that universe and that story is not going to be fan fiction. It’s going to be a story that fits into our movies, and fits into between the first two movies. The things that we are thinking about for this game very much fall into what can happen between the two movies, and that’s exciting for me as a fan.

As a fan, it’s sort of strange to hear Orci so worried about continuity when their last movie was crafted almost entirely around the idea of free themselves from existing Trek cannon. But it sounds like they’re determined to make it all fit together going forward, in creating a cannon of their own.

The game, which is a co-op shooter, is set to hit store shelves next summer. That means you’ll be able to get your hands on it long before the next Star Trek movie actually hits theaters, whenever that is. Sounds like this could be a good way for us Trekkies to get out fix, while we wait for Orci to give us what we really want.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 06:21:19 pm »
Thanks for the link and the article.

-------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »
More than welcome Dash.

Stephen