Poll

SW ep 6 vs SW ep 3

SW: The Return of the Jedi
22 (84.6%)
SW: Revenge of the Sith
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: July 10, 2011, 07:58:36 am

Topic: Sci Fi Poll : SW final showdown.  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci Fi Poll : SW final showdown.
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:58:36 am »
Last of the SW films.

Return of the Jedi.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/

vs.

Revenge of the Sith   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Sci Fi Poll : SW final showdown.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:47:33 am »
Hardest one...arguably the worst (or I should say, the least good) of the original trilogy against the best of the prequels.

For me ROTS did much to redeem itself over the previous two films, especially considering it was the tie-in movie that had to link together everything we'd already seen. Lucas did a surprisingly good job of that (the one fault being why didn't Obi-Wan recognize the droids? But that's relatively minor.) ROTS was a darker film and more enjoyable to watch (the lightsaber fights were also awesome). There was also some real good acting - Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid were both outstanding, as was Christopher Lee all too briefly. It was almost painful at times to see such fine actors struggling to find a way to render Lucas' horrible writing.

The downsides of ROTS are Lucas' horrible writing, Vader's fall (the central plot element of the film) being not real convincing, and Hayden Christiansen. His acting range does not seem to go beyond whining tween, and no doubt the last two points are related.

ROTJ had its own issues but they were small by comparison. I understand the role Lucas wanted the Ewoks to play, but they were still annoying. I am usually asleep from the time Leia falls off her bike until they get to the shield bunker. There is also something of an inconsistency in how we see Luke at the end of the previous film, and the start of this one (I don't mean his face). Nothing really explains how he matures from the half-trained rookie who ran off on impulse and got Vaderpwnd, to the calm, poised all-but-Jedi who was able to handle Jabba's whole gang with relative ease, and face down Vader and the Emperor with absolute (over)confidence.

On the plus side is Luke's confrontation with the Sith, culminating in Vader's redemption and the fulfillment of the prophecy. Luke falling here (as Lucas originally intended) would have been much more interesting but overall it was still well done. We also get to see the only real fleet battle in all the films.

In the final balance I have to vote ROTJ, as ROTS, despite being better than the schlock that was Ep. I-II, has too many fatal flaws.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:09:15 pm »
Return Of The Jedi.  I left the theater in a good mood.

Revenge Of The Sith.  I left the theater saying to my brother "There's two and a half hours of my life I'm not getting back".

Episode III was a disappointment to me on so many levels. But I can sum it up around Anakin Skywalker's script.  You KNEW going in to the theater how he'd end up, but I kept waiting for plot twists, etc. which might make you think otherwise.  Instead, he beelined to the dark side, and no suprises.

It's kind of like reading the last chapter of a novel first.  We had that with Episode IV-VI.  Lucas knew that we all knew, and yet made absolutely no effort to titilate us with plot twists r.e. Anakin.

Special Effects aside, Episode III is by far the worst Star Wars Movie ever.  At least with the Ewoks, while too cute, you were rooting for the guys as they bashed Imperial scout walkers!

I wasn't rooting for anything in Episode III.  Other than for the pain to end after the first hour...

The lava sequences were nice looking though.  Just not nice enough for me to endure that POS piece of writing again.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:20:48 pm »
Return of the Jedi was the best of the Star Whores films.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »
mmm, I have to go with Return of the Jedi
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »
I went with Return of the Jedi.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:26 pm »
I wanted all Ewoks to be turned into fur coats.  i absolutly hated it.  The attack to blow up the new Death Star, sucked.  Fly the MF inside and hit the core reactor, with more nimble Tie fighters not being able to follow it, yeah right.  Even the final fight for Luke and Darth Vader was a let down.  Death of the Emperor was crappy also.

Now was Revenge of the Sith good not really.  i actually think most of the SW movies sucked overall.  Plots are all weak, usually fair to midland acting, and special effects are good based on the times they were done.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:38:31 am »
I always found Jedi to be the weakest of the original trilogy.  I'd rather watch it than Empire Strikes Back, but Empire was a better movie.  The acting, especially the supporting roles and Carrie Fisher, just wasn't that interesting.  The Ewoks, for such important characters, were a real problem.  Even with the size and cuteness issues, they could have been more developed if they could speak.  Chub-chub just wasn't enough expression.  I didn't have a problem with Luke being confident.  A Jedi should always seem confident.  Luke went far past confident into cocky, and for that he had no justification - perhaps other than ignorance.  I liked the space battle, but the Falcon should have had more trouble than the TIEs in the interior.  Still, that was exciting. 

Sith was a good movie, but it had the problems of the bad guys won in the end and Christiansen not being a good enough actor to pull off the role in which he was cast.  I can't blame him for that failing, but I do blame whoever cast him as Anakin.  Obi-wan was a great character and it was sad to see the younger version go.  I can get technical and justify the later version not seeming to know R2 and 3Pio, but I won't.  I liked the pace, I liked the final battle.  This movie made a great lego game! 

Sith, for all its flaws, was a good movie.  Sure, it will never be considered a great movie by any critical standards, but I enjoyed it.  Some parts of it were just really stupid.  Jedi, for all its flaws was about in the same situation.  I can't really say there were some parts of it that were really stupid.  I voted for it.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:49:01 am »
I wanted all Ewoks to be turned into fur coats.  i absolutly hated it.  The attack to blow up the new Death Star, sucked.  Fly the MF inside and hit the core reactor, with more nimble Tie fighters not being able to follow it, yeah right.

In the previous two films we established that Imperial pilots suck.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:15 am »
I know, the imperial pilots sucked.  But how did they go from the Clone Warrior awesome pilots to Imperial Pilots not being able to fly through a whole twice their size (that the MF could fly through and just barely fit)?

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:50 pm »
Genetic deterioration from repeated clonings?  Abbreviated, and inferior flight training as the empire began to rely on numbers as opposed to quality?

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »
That would only happen if they cloned each generation from the previous one. From all we've seen it looked like the Kaminoans were using only the original DNA.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 02:22:30 pm »
I'm just throwing ideas out there about how the storm troopers went from the powerful fighting force that they were in the prequels to the walking bullseyes that they were in the original trilogy.  Other than the fact that they're the badguy's henchmen now so they're easy to kill.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »
Well, the stormtroopers seemed to do well enough assaulting Leah's diplomatic transport. I saw several dead rebels in that corridor.  Those may have been Vader's handpicked troops, however.

Keep in mind that Episode Six brought us that iconic Akbar line:

It's a trap!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:21 pm »
and they have stormtrooper armour that doesn't protect against a hand throw rock, or stick.

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »
In regard to Obi wan not recognizing the robots,i found it to be perfectly logical.
If you bring the sequences up in your mind you will notice Obi wan doesn't admire technology hes pure on the other side of the spectrum.
 For him they are just tools,.. i cant remember any scene where he would call them by their names.
When he first saw c3po the android wasn't completely assembled. I remember the scene when he flew to that clone planet,.. a lot of swearing in that one regarding technology:).
If you connect that with the fact how cybernetic implants a valued.,as symbols for drifting to the dark side it becomes even more obvious.
And culminates in yodas hide..in episode V bare of any technology.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 04:24:19 pm »
after 18 years those droids all look alike.  Since R2 was saying he was the property of Obi-Wan, Kenobi had said, "I don't remember owning any droids"  which was true, they were not his.  After all that time an R2 would look like any other R2.  Also, the last time he saw 3PO, it had really shiny gold colored skin.  now it is just a beat up old thing.  I could see him not recognizing those droids.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 05:19:09 pm »
Well, the stormtroopers seemed to do well enough assaulting Leah's diplomatic transport. I saw several dead rebels in that corridor.  Those may have been Vader's handpicked troops, however.

They had a large numerical advantage, and were fighting people with the goofiest looking helmets ever.

and they have stormtrooper armour that doesn't protect against a hand throw rock, or stick.

That's because the Empire is corrupt, and greedy officials pocket most of the money and send the troopers out with unacceptably thin armor.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:42 pm »
Return Of The Jedi.  I left the theater in a good mood.

Revenge Of The Sith.  I left the theater saying to my brother "There's two and a half hours of my life I'm not getting back".

Episode III was a disappointment to me on so many levels. But I can sum it up around Anakin Skywalker's script.  You KNEW going in to the theater how he'd end up, but I kept waiting for plot twists, etc. which might make you think otherwise.  Instead, he beelined to the dark side, and no suprises.

It's kind of like reading the last chapter of a novel first.  We had that with Episode IV-VI.  Lucas knew that we all knew, and yet made absolutely no effort to titilate us with plot twists r.e. Anakin.

Special Effects aside, Episode III is by far the worst Star Wars Movie ever.  At least with the Ewoks, while too cute, you were rooting for the guys as they bashed Imperial scout walkers!

I wasn't rooting for anything in Episode III.  Other than for the pain to end after the first hour...

The lava sequences were nice looking though.  Just not nice enough for me to endure that POS piece of writing again.
I Vote for Epp3  Its hard for me to like 2 mini sasquatch and an adult to be the saviors of the universe. One can get real sick of ewoks even as a kid  in the 80s. If it wasnt for Chewy and the crew of that walker  the story would be crapola.  I was not a fan of any of the 3 new movies untill i watched them for the 20th time but the storys must go on.  The clone wars anime shows helps .  Epp3 wins my vote. Starwars fan here!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:40:29 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 02:46:49 am »

LOL yes, and this.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762