Topic: So I'm watching B5 episodes back to back again, some thoughts  (Read 3061 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
I cracked out the B5 DVDs, and am currently approaching the end of Season 3 again.

It's now been 18 years since the pilot was released (1993), with Season 5 wrapping up in 1998, and a few movies, Crusade and such coming afterwords...

Star Trek, and even the new BSG series can't hold a candle to how well written this story arc was.  And every time some character made a reappearance (Sinclair, Lyta Alexander, Bester, etc.), their backstory immediately comes to mind, and it is important.  J Michael Straczynski really crafted a true gem here.

Incidentally, JMS wrote 92 of the 110 B5 episodes, including all of Season 3 and 4.  Other notable writers include DC Fontana and David Gerrold.

Even the time travel episodes were well done, in comparison to some other attempts by other shows.  They seemed very well thought out to me, not having that one off feel probably helped in this regard.

The other thing that I really appreciate was the attention to physics in the space battles.  Watching Star Furies do battle is always a treat.

Having Harlan Ellison as a consultant probably helped a bit...

The CGI doesn't always stand up, but to be honest I haven't found that a distraction.  The CGI sequences always tie in well with the story, which makes it easier to overlook.  Imagining how some of the stuff would look using today's technology does make one wonder, though...

Captain Hiroshi's last act still gets me. :'(

We've lost a few actors since the series was completed: Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway, Richard Biggs, Tim Choate (Zathras).

It is too bad that the B5 universe never really did get a decent video game treatment.  Even a Star Fury battle simulator would have been fun. if I ever hit the lottery, and can get JMS and WB to agree...

Chris Franke's music is still brilliant after all these years.  'Nuff said!

I think Walter Koenig's portrayal of Bester was absolutely dead on!

B5 won a few awards back in the day...
    Emmy Award: Outstanding Individual Achievement in Special Visual Effects, 1993 (The Gathering)[63]
    Emmy Award: Outstanding Individual Achievement in Hairstyling for a Series , 1994 (episode, "The Parliament of Dreams")[63]
    Hugo Award: Best Dramatic Presentation, 1996 (episode, "The Coming of Shadows")[64]
    Hugo Award: Best Dramatic Presentation, 1997 (episode, "Severed Dreams")[65]
    Saturn Award: Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series, 1998[66]
    Space Frontier Foundation Award: Vision of the Future, 1994
    Space Frontier Foundation Award: Vision of the Future, 1996
    E Pluribus Unum Award: (Presented By American Cinema Association), 1997[67]

It would have been good to see Crusade or Legend Of The Rangers get some traction, but them's the breaks in the world of tv.  Heck, I'm still torqued about Enterprise getting cancelled just as it was getting interesting, but that's another story.

Most of the B5 actors are now 'out of their prime', so a revisit of the series with the original cast would probably not hold up at this point.  Besides, with Andreas gone, G'Kar's shoes would be very hard to fill in any case.  Any re-imagining of this series would probably not go well...

Some useless trivia: Jerry Doyle left acting to become a talk radio personality.  He hooked up with Andrea Thompson, but the two later split.  Pat Tallman hooked up with Jeffrey Willwerth, but those two also split up several years later.  Recently, Bruce Boxleitner and Melissa Gilbert have announced their separation, after being together for many many years...

Several B5 actors have since moved on to other things, while others still appear in interesting places now and then.  Ed Wasser (Morden) hasn't acted in some time...

One of my favorite B5 quotes:
"The avalanche has started.  It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:32:51 pm by EschelonOfJudgemnt »

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: So I'm watching B5 episodes back to back again, some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:10:26 pm »
There are actually some short story episodes about the B5 era.

In addition, the Crusades series was supposed to move on from the plague in season 2 to the telepath wars and give the story of Bester's demise.

It's a real sad feeling when you know some story or TV show you like is going to end without an ending. Even though B5 technically was the end of the arc, it could have gone on much longer to me...

I revisit B5 all the time, awesome series.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:38:39 pm »
I ran across these awhile back. They would be good here

Babylon 5: In Memory of Andreas Katsulas

Babylon 5: In Memory of Richard Biggs

One

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:20:27 am »
I forgot how much I loved J'kar.  I'm sorry to hear that the man who brought him to life has passed away.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:51:29 pm »
G'kar
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
yep G'kar, But I mirror Tulwars feelings on this. Hell I also liked the doctor , and in my random writings, I always pictured him as a supporting character.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »
B5 succeeds in my view because it didn't concentrate on the special effects (went for "good enough") but did concentrate on character, acting and story (with continuity) line.

Londo always has reminded me of my best friend.  (He of course doesn't see the similarity :) )
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:15:06 pm »
Does that make you G'Kar? That would be an interesting story how you guys met!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
Does that make you G'Kar? That would be an interesting story how you guys met!

Nope, I'm not nearly that volatile.  We met in a college class. 

Actually what got me to watch B5 was a online quiz that was linked to from here which was supposed to tell you what SciFi character you were most like and I got Captain John Sheridan of B5.  When I saw the episode where it showed how he got the name "Star Killer" I laughed as it was as close as possible to how I took out a F-NCL with a R-WB using mines and asteroids (except I didn't even take significant shield damage).  After that I couldn't deny the similarity.  ;)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:36:57 am »
Just kicking in one thing on your points..

Was a fan of the show from the teasers for the first pilot.  The Newtonian flight with the Starfuries is what hooked me.  No "I fly here, zoom zoom, I'm a car!" like Star Trek.  Had a peanut gallery in my head for a while of B5 characters making comments to real world events.  And when you hear G'Kar, Londo, Marcus and Kosh making internal comments to you about random things, that gets interesting.  (I do a small amount of writing for personal, anyone writing would probably understand what I mean about internal comments, for everyone else.. it's not something you need medication for).

But a fairly decent B5 space simulator was done on the Freespace 2 engine called "The Babylon Project".  Spent a few years trying to get it running under Linux on and off, but have played a few games in Windows.  Nicely done simulator in my opinion and free of course.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »
A friend of mine and I just started watching an episode each of B5 and BSG and commenting on them.  This week we watched the pilot movies for both.  I liked B5: The Gathering more than Kadh did, but we both thought the BSG intro was better.

We are both big B5 fans, and, while I don't care that much about the new Battlestar, Kadh liked it.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:53 pm »
While I was on a road trip yesterday, I pondered how cool Earth/Terran ship names would be using B5 character/actor names, the next time I play one of those 4x games...

The list:
E.S.S. Sheridan
E.S.S. Sinclair
E.S.S. Garibaldi
E.S.S. Ivanova
E.S.S. Franklin
E.S.S. Allan
E.S.S. Lockley
E.S.S. Boxleitner
E.S.S. O'Hare
E.S.S. Claudia Christian
E.S.S. Katsulas
E.S.S. Jurasik
E.S.S. Tallman
E.S.S. Furlan
E.S.S. Koenig
E.S.S. Tallman
E.S.S. Straczynski

Yep, that'd be one cool sounding fleet!

Just wrapped up season 4.  That last episode is just weird.  You could tell when the second to last episode was filmed that they were trying to wrap things up.  As I remember, Season 5 was in limbo at that point (TNT hadn't stepped up yet), so JMS felt the need to have an ending of sorts.

Fleet battles in B5 are always fun to watch.  And ship spotting is always a treat!  The CGI guys made some very outstanding designs for the various races.  Heck, even the Vree ships look interesting, with their 'death from above' gatling beam attacks!