Poll

SW Ep 4  vs. SW Ep 1

Star Wars E4 A NEw Hope (1977)
22 (84.6%)
Star Wars E1 The Phantom Menace (1999)
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: June 19, 2011, 08:59:12 am

Topic: Sci FI Poll 18: The force is already telling me the winner.  (Read 7517 times)

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Sci FI Poll 18: The force is already telling me the winner.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »
One other point about the 1977 Star Wars movie, before Lucas 'updated' it... (Yes, dammit, Han shot first!).

That was hardly the only disaster in the update!  The origional edit is no longer, but even the existing version of Episode IV compares favorably with the collections of cliche's that came later.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 07:22:28 pm »
There was nothing wrong with the story. He shot himself in the ass with three things mainly:

1) His own soap-opera style writing
2) Hayden Christiansen
3) Jar Jar

4) Damn Nascar.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 08:05:30 pm »
I'm with Shadow. The original three where the best. And Damn IT HAN SHOT FIRST!

Stephen
I had to vote for the Epp1 for the fact its atleast a begining of it all  :-X  For years as a child I wondered what the hell was really going on, Return of the jedi made things more clear but alot still was a ?
. Later years I made up my own story untill Lucas and others shot that all down with Epp1 but atleast its done. Now the public needs to remake it in their own immage and have fun with it.

Damn right he shot first ! A awol storm trooper blah blah isnt gona get caught by the likes of Greedo.  Lucas did let alot get screwd up but i think most of that had to do with the kids watching and the markeing $$ of it all.  The shame of it they should have added Han in there near the end of epp3 joining the Republic just before the sith took it over.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:27:34 pm by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 08:22:20 pm »
Oh shoot man, You should hear me rant about ET and the Rifle to walkie Talkie thing . GRRR.

On second thought, no one needs to hear that rant. LOL

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:13 pm »
Oh shoot man, You should hear me rant about ET and the Rifle to walkie Talkie thing . GRRR.

Stephen

They were turned into flashlights.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 11:16:09 pm »
There was nothing wrong with the story. He shot himself in the ass with three things mainly:

2) Hayden Christiansen
3) Jar Jar

Hayden Christiansen proves the power of the darkside, for it is through the emperor's will that he is transformed from a whiney emo *%tch to the awesomeness that is Darth Vader.  As for Jar Jar, Star Wars is not supposed to be taken seriously, I had no problem with him.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:33 pm »
Flashlights, your right.

Stephen

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:26 am »

2) Hayden Christiansen
3) Jar Jar

4) Damn Nascar.

NASCAR was not til episode IV. Poor Porkins.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 01:53:22 am »
Flashlights, your right.

Stephen

Wasn't there also some film where they removed cigarettes in the DVD release?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »
Flashlights, your right.

Stephen

Wasn't there also some film where they removed cigarettes in the DVD release?
I dont recall in the old remakes but there was that little wana buy a death stick comment in epp2 in the city.  For all that wants to bitch about starwars think this Trek would NOT be the same without it!  ILM made many to add to the Trek.
Time for life!

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »
A friend of mine likes to tell the story of how he first saw episode IV.  A friend invited him to go with the friend's family to see this new SF movie at the drive through so they could laugh at the wires and cheesy special effects.  Then came the Star Destroyer fly-by... 

Episode IV was ground-breaking in special effects.  Remember the computer generated wire-model of the Death Star?  That changed a lot of engineering design in the real world.  I always found Return of the Jedi to be the worst of the original trilogy.  Empire was technically the best, but still A New Hope Star Wars was a bigger phenomenon.  And the only version that matters was the theatrical release.  Later editing just doesn't count so I pity the people who never saw it the way it first appeared. 

I liked Revenge of the Sith best of the new trilogy.  I didn't have any problem with Jar Jar in the first movie.  I enjoyed it, but it wasn't special.  It was just another movie.  If it hadn't been part of Star Wars, I would have seen it once, been happy, and forgotten about it.
this sig was eaten by a grue