Poll

the Ice Pirates vs. Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared-syn

The Ice Pirates (1984)
11 (91.7%)
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-syn (1983)
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 22, 2011, 11:26:03 pm

Topic: Sci Fi Poll 19: we are the 80's.  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci Fi Poll 19: we are the 80's.
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:03 pm »
Ice Pirates (1984) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/

In the far future water is the most valuable substance. Two space pirates are captured, sold to a princess, and recruited to help her find her father who disappeared when he found information dangerous to the rulers. A real Space Opera with sword fights, explosions, fighting robots, monsters, bar fights and time warps. You have to be there to see it.

vs.

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085935/

A seeker named Dogen rescues Dhyana after her father is murdered by the evil Jared-Syn. To avenge her father's death, Dogen must find Jared-Syn's hideout in the mysterious "Lost City", but the only person who knows where it is an aging, burned-out seeker named Rhodes. Along the way, they will need to do battle against the hunter Baal and his Cyclopean minions for engaging Jared-Syn in a final encounter. It's High Noon at the end of the Universe.
-------------------

Ahh the 80's so much fun, enough hair to provide for billions of cancer survivors. And of course, great movies such as these here.

Stephen

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Sci Fi Poll 19: we are the 80's.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »
I have never even heard of either of these B-movies.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:25:49 am »
Another movie I watched 700 times as a kid  Ice pirates. Have a vcr tape of it still and Damn its lame now but memorys last i guess thats how i vote . If i dont recall cant vote for it. :-X
Time for life!

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:56:43 am »
Ice pirates. Where else could you find a space herpie and have sex and a few minutes later your now grown sons saves your butt?

The other was just a rip off of every other save the girl, battle monsters crap. It could have been set in any time period, world, etc.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:01:21 am »
I just thought of an movie that was equally a crappy as Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn. Battle Beyond the Stars. Johnboy from the Waltons as a space hero.  :o

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:48 am »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:46:38 am »
I loved battle beyond the stars. IT was the 7 samurai in space. And yes, Sybil Danning. :D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

• Captain
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:31 am »
If a bit of T&A was all it took to make great sci-fi, then all sci-fi would be great. I mean, come on gentlemen. I have the Capt Kirk Complex*, too. However, my tastes run a bit deeper than that.

*Capt Kirk Complex-The abililty to enjoy sexy, nubile, half dressed, alien women. Especially those from primitive worlds who have had the intelligence to devote all their intellect and resources into developing the push up bra.  :o  ;)

I'm God's gift to women!

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »
Let's not leave out Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone...

BTW, does anyone else feel like Michael Ironside gets underutilized as an actor?  He ends up in a LOT of B-Movies...

Lessee, other than Terminator: Salvation, The Perfect Storm, Starship Troopers (one of his better roles, even if the movie was campy), Total Recall, Top Gun... he seems to not get taken very seriously for meatier roles.

http://www.fandango.com/michaelironside/filmography/p34547

I think he has great acting chops, but seems to get cast in 'stereotypical Ironside roles' a lot...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »
I don't know these ones either, but the time period and "Ice Pirates" title brings "Time Bandits" to mind. Has that one made your poll series yet?

And for some odd reason this thread title has me swaying like Stevie Wonder and singing "We are the world..."  :music:  ;D

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:27 pm »
Ice pirates. Where else could you find a space herpie and have sex and a few minutes later your now grown sons saves your butt?

The other was just a rip off of every other save the girl, battle monsters crap. It could have been set in any time period, world, etc.

This!

I voted for Ice Pirates too - logic need not apply - nostalgia takes the day.

(even saw this in the Mall theater - whoo boy the 80's were awful)

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »
Oh god, I remember these. At least Ice Pirates didn't take itself seriously. 
this sig was eaten by a grue