Poll

Galaxy Quest vs. Serenity

Galaxy Quest (1999)
9 (42.9%)
Serenity (2005)
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: June 04, 2011, 11:47:08 pm

Topic: Sci Fi Poll 14  (Read 7842 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci Fi Poll 14
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »
Most people may have thought the last poll # 13 was evil given the number, But this one is truly evil. Pitting two beloved greats against each other.

Galaxy Quest (1999)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177789/

vs.

Serenity   (2005) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: Sci Fi Poll 14
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:39:59 am »
Most people may have thought the last poll # 13 was evil given the number, But this one is truly evil. Pitting two beloved greats against each other.

vs.

Stephen

I am not a fan of a gunsmoke scifi show. Lazer bolts from a colt 45 revolver is not scifi to me. I vote Galaxy Quest because though the plot is lame its more plauseable.  :crazy2:
Time for life!

Offline Voidwar

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:46:57 am »
Gentlemen, I want that third option !
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
-J.B. Books  www.hotandspicyforums.com

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:16:18 am »
Oh goddamnit! hard question: I went with serenity for the sheer loyalty factor.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:56:17 pm »
Hard choice, but in the end Galaxy Quest was a comedy in a SciFi setting not SciFi itself. 

The one thing I disliked most about Serenity was putting so many habitable planets in one solar system. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »

vs.

Stephen

I am not a fan of a gunsmoke scifi show. Lazer bolts from a colt 45 revolver is not scifi to me.

The revolver fires actual bullets, not lasers.  I would normally agree with you, but I think Firefly/Serenity manages to pull it off without being overly campy and tacky.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:15:52 pm »
wow, tuff one indeed....

truly a nit to pick, but they establish in the Firefly 'verse that most/all of the planets & moons were terraformed to be liveable; "a dozen planets and hundreds of moons."
http://www.fireflyshipworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/verse-frontbig1.jpg

While it's a tough call, I think they both hold up really well as science fiction, just one of them is played for laughs. If the Thermians had picked up a squad of Marines instead of out of work actors, it woulda been a different movie for sure!

I even just watched Serenity the other night for the umpteenth time, but still voted for Galaxy Quest; one of teh funniest films ever, and the best non-Star Trek Star Trek movie !

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »
Still trying to decide.  Galaxy Quest has Grabthar's hammer
What a Savings

But Serenity has what's got to be one of my all time favorite movie lines
I`m unarmed

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »
Sticking for the minority once again: I hated Serenity.  Thus my vote was no contest.  Too bad the couldn't have actually done it with Bill Shatner and crew.  Although GQ this way was probably funnier than with the ST cast could have ever been.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »
hard choice.. Serenity I think wins for me though
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 04:51:49 am »
Ack, two movies I think are awesome.  For different reasons of course.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:38:06 am »
this one's gonna be close!
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

The revolver fires actual bullets, not lasers.  I would normally agree with you, but I think Firefly/Serenity manages to pull it off without being overly campy and tacky.

Agreed!

Loved them both tho!

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »
I loved the series Firefly.  There is nothing as much fun as a spaceship run by criminals.  I could tolerate Blake's 7, for that reason.

Unfortunately, Serenity wasn't as funny as the series, but made up for it with compelling drama and deep character interest.  Galaxy Quest was just another one of these halarious concepts that came across flatter than a pancake.  I laughed when I saw the trailer, but never giggled once, during the film.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Grand Master of Shadows NCC37385

• Captain
  • 107th Confederate Militia! Sic Semper Tyrannis
    • Gun Kit Builders
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »
No contest. Serenity! GQ looked as if it was written by a couple of 12 year old boys.

I'm God's gift to women!

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.-Robert A. Heinlein

Help control the idiot population. Have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:36 pm »
wow, tuff one indeed....

truly a nit to pick, but they establish in the Firefly 'verse that most/all of the planets & moons were terraformed to be liveable; "a dozen planets and hundreds of moons."

First I recall them indicating all those planets are in one star system was the movie.  Just how big was that star to have a habitable zone that big?  Then you would have "years" centuries or millenia long, plants and animals are not evolved for seasons like that.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:54:32 pm »
I loved the series Firefly.  There is nothing as much fun as a spaceship run by criminals.  I could tolerate Blake's 7, for that reason.

Criminals?  Rebels I think.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
criminals/rebels, "Poe-tato"/"po-Tah-to"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 03:50:14 pm »
criminals/rebels, "Poe-tato"/"po-Tah-to"

So you don`t mind calling George Washington and the other U.S. founding fathers criminals? 

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »
So you don`t mind calling George Washington and the other U.S. founding fathers criminals?
If they had lost? The British certainly would have tried them as such. Treason is a crime, I believe.

Look, before this spins out too far, I just wanted to point out that in "Firefly" and "Blake's 7", the stars of the shows were on the run and were, by their universe's laws, considered criminals, that's all. It was part of the appeal of the shows.

Not for nothing, my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was one of the Founders, Roger Sherman. The only man to sign all four of the documents that founded the United States. Bonus points to anyone who can name all four.

If they had lost and he had been hung, I wouldn't be here ;)