Voting closed: May 19, 2011, 02:38:32 am

Topic: Sci Fi Poll 9  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Sci Fi Poll 9
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:38:32 am »
A machine from the Future took out the Alien Menace in our last round, Let's see who wins this one.

Bladerunner (1982) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/

Highlander (19886) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091203/

The man who might be a replicant vs. the man who would have a prize.

Classic villains in both shows, Big name stars, Harrison Ford against Rutger Howard

Christoper Lambert vs. The Kurgen.

and Oh yeah Sean Connery, the only man who made wearing a red Diaper look cool vs, Darrell Hannah who makes everything else look good.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: Sci Fi Poll 9
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:20 am »
You are an evil evil man, another hard choice. While I enjoyed both movies I went with Bladerunner as it is based on a Sci-Fi storey while Highlander is more of a fantasy storey.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:08:35 am »
Had to give it to Blade Runner as this is a Sci Fi poll...

However - I've probably watched Highlander 50 times versus the 5 times I've sat through BR.

Now - if you want to see a little sci-fi mixed in you Highlander see the unedited version of this:

Highlander - The Search for Vengeance

http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-Vengeance-Animated-Alistair-Abell/dp/B000OYCMNU

That is a bad ass animated movie set in the future of the Highlander world - one of my all time favorite anime's - a real pity they cancelled the pc game based upon it.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:27:43 am »
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire, off the shoulder of Orion! I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

All those moments will be lost in time....like tears in rain.

Time to die."

No contest.  :)
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:07:20 am »
and those attack ships, off Orion's shoulder, that'll happen by 2017? It's been a few years since I've been in LA, but have they started work on the giant building yet? The flying cars, too; how they coming along?

I shan't go on a rant but this is where my real ire for Ridley Scott takes full bloom. I can't help but see BR as something elevated way beyond what it really is - a bad pastiche of film noir cliches coated with a thin veneer of sci fi elements, assembled somewhat ably by an art director who made commercials.

Ghaa.

I may abstain from voting in this one; can't vote BR, and altho Highlander is ripping fun, I don't see it as scifi. :)

ps The quote above from BR confirmed to me what I had suspected - Rutger Hauer is a great actor (he ad-libbed those lines). The rest of the movie made me think, "huh, maybe Harrison Ford isn't such a great actor after all."

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:42 am »
You do realize the movie was made 30 years ago.

Space 1999 anyone?
Fleet Vice Admiral 762

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »
I'm ashamed to say, I've never seen Blade Runner so I can't comment on it.  As for Highlander, the only truly bad thing I can say about it is does Christopher Lambert sound like someone from Scotland?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:34:40 pm »
Christopher sounds like he has his own country. But I've always thought his voice exotic.

That being said, Don't be ashamed Knightstorm.  To be honest with all the remasters, directors cuts and special editions, we could have a 50 page argument on what version of Blade Runner is best. So trust me, you have time. + Once again, Darrel Hannah.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
Uh....there is no argument there. I don't think I've ever met or even heard of a living soul who likes the voiceover over the director's cut.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »
I had to vote for BR based on the director's cut.  Didn't really like it (which is to say hated it) when I first saw it.  I never got into Highlander until the Adrian Paul series.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:52:31 pm »
You do realize the movie was made 30 years ago.

Space 1999 anyone?
well, I'm still pissed that my local dealer isn't carrying Eagles, so thanks for opening up that old wound!

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »
Another really tough one....

Remember, when this is all over
There can only be one.........

Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »
Somehow I have missed seeing both of these though I'm sure I have a DVD of Bladerunner lieing around somewhere.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."