Total Members Voted: 19

Topic: sci fi Poll 4  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
sci fi Poll 4
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »
sorry all, had a busy Easter, and power kept going on and off.

This time, we put two classics head to head against each other...

1953 War of the world http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/

vs.

1960 The Time Machine  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054387/

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: sci fi Poll 4
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:49:42 pm »
Not fair...

I can't decide between the two...  :'(
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:07:48 pm »
It is a tough one again. esp. since I am a huge fan of scifi from the 50's and 60's.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »
In spite of The Time Machine having Yvette Mimieux I have to go with War of the Worlds.

I actually think it is better to put shows of the same era against each other as then they are judged by the same standards.  Also some like myself will have certain eras less seen (in my case more modern ones) and they have to vote either on a movie they haven't seen or abstain from some of the votes. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »
To be fair to others, I'll prob. add in remakes at a later date, but you do raise an excellent point as always Nemesis.

Stephen

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »
First words out of my mouth were"Oh crap!" when I saw the 2 listed. I'll have to think about it, I just caught part of the time machine on AMC last month so that's more fresh in my memory. It's a flip of the coin almost. :(
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:30 pm »
I actually think it is better to put shows of the same era against each other as then they are judged by the same standards.  Also some like myself will have certain eras less seen (in my case more modern ones) and they have to vote either on a movie they haven't seen or abstain from some of the votes.

I think that's a good idea. Also series should be bracketed against each other first...all the Star Treks in one bracket, the Star Wars in another, etc.
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »
Dang it Tool! are you just trying to make more work for me? ;)

Stephen

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:02 pm »
Duh!
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »
Dang it Tool! are you just trying to make more work for me? ;)

Stephen

I've started a conspiracy to do so.   :angel:

To be fair to others, I'll prob. add in remakes at a later date, but you do raise an excellent point as always Nemesis.

Stephen

How many remakes equal let alone improve on the original (beyond the tech used to make it)?
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »
zero.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30:50 pm »
zero.

Stephen

I wouldn't go so categorical. 

Though not exactly a remake the Lost in Space movie was to me better than the show because of how it filled in the gaps left in the show.  As I recall the show never explained how and why such a family group of "homesteaders" acquired the Jupiter II nor why a saboteur would go after them among other things.

The Mask of Zorro for another was so well done as to be better than the earlier versions (IMO of course).

One thing that always mystifies me about Hollywood is why they remake successful movies rather than remake movies that though they failed it was due to some form of error or ineptness on the part of those making it rather than a conceptually flawed movie. 

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 10:08:52 pm »
Good point Nem. In fact I was disapointed that the new lost in space tv serial never launched after the movie. I believe it was WB that had it in the works, there is even the pilot out there on the Interwebs.

For Zorro, it depends man. I enjoyed both of them for differing reasons. I prob. would have to go with the original, simply because of my love of that era in film, although I am a huge Hopkins fan (Titus best movie ever hands down!)

Stephen