Topic: Farscape  (Read 4992 times)

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Farscape
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »
I have previously seem much of the first season of Farscape but since I got the other 3 for Christmas I've started watching through it.  I am quite impressed with the acting of Gigi Edgley who plays Chianna.  Her consistent stance, body language and verbal timing makes the character one of the more convincing aliens I've seen portrayed in film.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Farscape
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »
I'm glad you like it bro, sadly, I just still to this can not get into it at all. My daughter brought over the Peacekeeper wars a few months back, and it still seemed to me like sci fi with puppets. Still, if your getting enjoyment out of it, That is what matters.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:36:16 pm »
I'm glad you like it bro, sadly, I just still to this can not get into it at all. My daughter brought over the Peacekeeper wars a few months back, and it still seemed to me like sci fi with puppets. Still, if your getting enjoyment out of it, That is what matters.

Stephen

It is better when you see it from the beginning.  I don't rate it as high as Star Trek or other shows like SG-1 or Babylon 5 (which also had to grow on me) but it is better than a lot. 

Like Babylon 5 it has an ongoing story with consistency between episodes and ongoing minor characters. They also seem to handle details better like Aeryn Sun's granddaughter, mother and younger self were all played by actresses where you could believe the relationship (think of the Robinson kids in the original Lost in Space - did they look related?  :thumbsdown: I never thought so).

In any case they at least have limited the "puppets" to roles where puppets do them better than people and not a lot of puppets for the sake of having them. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:50:11 pm »
There is that on the puppet thing. I just don't know why, but even when the show played, it just rubbed me the wrong way. I 'might" check out the first season, as I've been surprised before, But it'll be a bit down the road.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:55:28 pm »
There is that on the puppet thing. I just don't know why, but even when the show played, it just rubbed me the wrong way. I 'might" check out the first season, as I've been surprised before, But it'll be a bit down the road.

Stephen

Jabba the Hutt, and Yoda were puppets, does that mean you don't like the original Star Wars flims?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:30:29 pm »
Not really, I did back in the 70's when I was a kid though.  These days, I can't stomach anything of Lucas's.

Stephen

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »
Speaking of farscape, I got the complete series box set for Christmas.  One thing I hate about it though is that not only do the DVDs not allow you to skip the FBI warning (most will let you skip it by hitting either skip or menu), but there is an endless parade of mandatory studio credits that you can't skip.  I personally find those things the most obnoxious.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »
I have to admit, the series was a bit hit and miss for me.  I just recently watched it, having missed it when it was on air.  I didn't mind the puppets, and after a time, didn't think of them as such very often.  The cast really rotated a lot, with every season seeming to change up the crew (and the bold move of splitting the crew up in one season).  There were characters that drove me up the wall though.  I hated Stark when he was all crazy.  I just wanted him to go away, and I wanted to stop watching, but then another part of the story would happen and I would calm down.  It was overly silly at times, but that grew on me.  It was just sort of fun at that point.  I mean, they even had a full on animated looney-toonseque episode.  All in all I liked the series by the time it was done (although I found the peacekeeper wars a little lacking but was a decent closure to the series).  When Browder and the other chick came on to SG1, I thought "they hired that Farscape guy?" but now I kinda get it, although I did like him in the other series, but hated her character.  I actually liked her in this one, which was a rough road because of how much I disliked her character on SG1 and how they kept letting her be a part of the team.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »
I am quite impressed with the acting of Gigi Edgley who plays Chianna.  Her consistent stance, body language and verbal timing makes the character one of the more convincing aliens I've seen portrayed in film.

She is excellent. Tickles my fancy in many ways. Turns my crank, floats my boat etc...

You guys are aware it is a Jim Henson Productions product and what Jim Henson was known for?

Browder and Black make a lot more sense in Stargate when you have seen Farscape.

Farscape always makes me think of Strafer.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:26:57 pm »
I hated Stark when he was all crazy.  I just wanted him to go away

I really dislike him for that reason as well.  I also dislike the "mysticism" in so many SciFi shows.

I actually liked her in this one, which was a rough road because of how much I disliked her character on SG1 and how they kept letting her be a part of the team.

I can't complain about her SG-1 character too much as it resembled in a lot of ways my favourite to play D&D characters.  Liar by policy, crooked, self centered but with an underlying tendency to heroic action when not given time to think it out.  I must admit he drove everyone a little crazy at times :angel: .

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »
Jabba the Hutt, and Yoda were puppets, does that mean you don't like the original Star Wars flims?

I do recall saying something like "Oh no Star Wars has been taken over by muppets".  I still dislike the gratuitous muppets like in the RoTJ band and Jabbas little "side kick" but did accept those which served a real purpose in the movie.  I find the Ewoks more annoying.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »
Speaking of farscape, I got the complete series box set for Christmas.  One thing I hate about it though is that not only do the DVDs not allow you to skip the FBI warning (most will let you skip it by hitting either skip or menu), but there is an endless parade of mandatory studio credits that you can't skip.  I personally find those things the most obnoxious.

Videolan on your PC, it skips that nonsense if you want it to.  Of course you need a good monitor (or the ability to output to TV) to make it worthwhile.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 01:00:04 pm »

Videolan on your PC, it skips that nonsense if you want it to.  Of course you need a good monitor (or the ability to output to TV) to make it worthwhile.

Still, why do studios need to put mandatory logos in the DVDs.  Its not as if they aren't stamped all over the packaging.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

Still, why do studios need to put mandatory logos in the DVDs.  Its not as if they aren't stamped all over the packaging.

I don't know.  Why they think fans want to see the same ads every time they play a DVD especially in a multi season TV show is beyond me.  I find it very annoying and if it is played on my TV it is muted.