Topic: Soooo, Tron Legacy...  (Read 3027 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Soooo, Tron Legacy...
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:48:03 pm »
I liked it.  A few things nagged at me (namely the people looking too much like people, and other things seeming too much like real life), but the vr world definitely looks beautiful.

Not giving it 5 stars or anything, but it was a nice ride.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: Soooo, Tron Legacy...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »
I cant wait to see it. I hated avatar till i saw it for the 10th time now i like it go figure. I dont think tron will fail totaly but we will see.
Time for life!

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:53 am »
Going to definitely see it too. I had heard so-so reviews but this is good news. It seems like one of those movies that you can enjoy on the big screen even if it isn't perfect.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:52:45 am »
Going to it today with my son. Looking forward to it.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »
Went, seen, enjoyed.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:00:51 pm »
Loved it... I had three nitpicks but they were very minor.

Got me thinking, though: The Grid would be an awesome MMO setting, if done right, and I'm not even all that MMO Crazy.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:03:13 pm »

Got me thinking, though: The Grid would be an awesome MMO setting, if done right, and I'm not even all that MMO Crazy.
The Tron theme its self would work for a MMO but lacks a real end game which im hopeing some can come up with soon . It ends up more the same as mech warrior on the grid games play. If it was riged more like  DND where your not stuck  just playing grid games you can explore the net verse per say and fight as wanted/ needed it would work but the cost ? Screw cost gime a kobolt with glowy parts i would kill it with my flying disk  :P DDO upgrade 2011  :laugh:
Time for life!

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:08 pm »

The Tron theme its self would work for a MMO but lacks a real end game which im hopeing some can come up with soon . It ends up more the same as mech warrior on the grid games play. If it was riged more like  DND where your not stuck  just playing grid games you can explore the net verse per say and fight as wanted/ needed it would work but the cost ? Screw cost gime a kobolt with glowy parts i would kill it with my flying disk  :P DDO upgrade 2011  :laugh:

That would be great  ;D. Tronline!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 01:16:20 am »
Ah, it'd be great. I know exactly how I'd do it too :).
Programs are Characters, You could be a Program type (Class): Enforcer (Fighter), Spyware (Rogue), Enhancer (Buffer), Rewrite Program (Wizard), Compiler (Pet-master/Crafter), Recovery (Cleric), Webcrawler (Ranger). Rewrites are special code bits that modify the virtual world (like magic). Inventory and class advancement are "Functions" that can be added to your program's base code.

Would be REALLY cool.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:40 am »
If you are interested in Books that go that way look up Jack L. Chalker he wrote man computer based worlds

The Soul Rider seriesSpirits of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, 1984 (ISBN 0-8125-3320-8)
Empires of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, 1984 (ISBN 0-8125-3329-1)
Masters of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, January, 1985 (ISBN 0-8125-3281-3)
The Birth of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, 1985 (ISBN 0-8125-2292-3)
Children of Flux and Anchor, Tor Books, September, 1986 (ISBN 0-8125-2340-7)

The Saga of the Well World seriesMidnight at the Well of Souls, Del Rey, 1977 (ISBN 0-7434-3522-2)
Exiles at the Well of Souls, Del Rey, 1978 (ISBN 0-7434-3603-2)
Quest for the Well of Souls, Del Rey, 1978 (ISBN 0-7434-7153-9)
The Return of Nathan Brazil, Del Rey, 1980 (ISBN 0-345-28367-8)
Twilight at the Well of Souls, Del Rey, 1980 (ISBN 0-345-28368-6)
The Sea is Full of Stars, December, 1999 (ISBN 0-345-39486-0)
Ghost of the Well of Souls, 2000 (ISBN 0-345-39485-2)

The Wonderland Gambit seriesThe Cybernetic Walrus, Del Rey, trade pb in November, 1995
The March Hare Network, 1996
The Hot-Wired Dodo, Del Rey, Feb. 1997

The Rings of the Master seriesLords of the Middle Dark Del Rey Books, May, 1986 (ISBN 0-345-32560-5)
Pirates of the Thunder, Del Rey Books, March, 1987 (ISBN 0-345-32561-3)
Warriors of the Storm, Del Rey Books, August, 1987 (ISBN 0-345-32562-1)
Masks of the Martyrs, Del Rey, February, 1988 (ISBN 0-345-34309-3)
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline manitoba1073

• FLEET ADMIRAL OF THE YARDS
  • Lt. Commander
    • manitobashipyards
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 01:04:20 am »
 I don't think the well of souls series really count as computer worlds. As they were actually more like a managery of worlds into 1 world.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »
Btw: I saw it again in theatres. I can tell you when i started to dislike it: As soon as they stepped onto the solar sailer. The exposition started sucking right as that happened, and afterwards it became a collection of one-liner cliches. Very strong opening, very weak ending.
Robinomicon