Topic: Alien prequel- in 3D  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Alien prequel- in 3D
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:26:57 pm »
Link to full article

Sir Ridley Scott has been talking up his Alien prequel, promising a "really nasty" 3D treat which he described as "the dark side of the moon".

The movie will be set in 2085, five years before the original, and will see the protagonists "first come across this thing on a planet called Zeta Reticuli". Scott teased to Screen International: "Were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would actually go in and clean up a planet?"

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Alien prequel- in 3D
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:05:57 am »
"dark side of the moon" ?  :skeptic:

I have a theory about certain movies. There are severe budget limitations... so... they don't light anything. I've seen movies where 70% of the screen is black 70% of the time... might as well be a radio play.

Though I certainly would not expect a new Alien movie to be a case of that. I would be horribly disappointed if it was. Geiger deserves better.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:51:11 am »
The original Alien movie was itself pretty dark.  I found it odd that a space craft/factory ship would be so poorly lit.  I also wondered how 3d would work in such a dark setting.  About the only thing really 3d "worthy" in the original film was the chest burster. 

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:20 pm »
I am really letting myself get excited about this one - but man - does EVERYTHING have to be in 3D now!??

This better not suck!!!

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:11:46 pm »
I for one, do not want 3D,
I can see going out to a theater and wearing the glasses for an hour or so.....but not like all day on Sunday (NFL Tickey) or 3/4 hours for gaming.   let alone for any type of HD3D programming...I already wear glasses...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »
H.R. Giger is involved.

Link to full article

Great news for Alien franchise purists, as Alien conceptual artist H.R. Giger has been confirmed as a contributor to the prequel that Ridley Scott is set to begin shooting in February. The originator of the 'xenomorph' design, Giger was left out of James Cameron's Aliens (1986), since Cameron only needed a new 'Alien queen' design, and had come up with that himself. The eccentric Swiss artist participated as a conceptual designer for David Fincher's Alien 3 (1992) - though by this time he had long-abandoned the elaborate airbrush techniques that made him famous via the coffee-table book Necronomicon, which inspired ex-Dune (the abandoned 1977 Jodorowsky version) collaborator and Alien screenwriter Dan O'Bannon to suggest his work to Ridley Scott  for Alien (1979). Instead Giger faxed pastel and chalk sketches to the Alien 3 production office, unwilling to once again face his fear of travel (and especially air-travel) as he had done to move to England as a resident designer for Alien throughout  that film's production in 1978-79.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »
I read  a week or so back that this project has changed and though the team is making a movie it is no longer a Alien movie.  Ridley Scott is against making a horror movie sequel.