Topic: Stargate Universe cancelled  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Stargate Universe cancelled
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:44:58 pm »
Link to full article

For the first time since 1997, the Syfy channel will be Stargate free. According to ComingSoon, Syfy will end the action-adventure series, Stargate Universe, in the spring of 2011 after airing the final ten episodes of its second season. While no official reason has been given, low ratings are thought to be the deciding factor.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: Stargate Universe cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »
Link to full article

For the first time since 1997, the Syfy channel will be Stargate free. According to ComingSoon, Syfy will end the action-adventure series, Stargate Universe, in the spring of 2011 after airing the final ten episodes of its second season. While no official reason has been given, low ratings are thought to be the deciding factor.

I wonder if the network purchaced showtime pay per view its weird that stargate sg1 is on a pay per view network.
I dont belive in what ANY one says comeing from the New so called Syfy network/channel.   If you are a christian that belives that dinos ruled with man then it fits. The network was purchaced by an org that is ANTI science in nature and wants to push an agenda on the rest of the public calling it Science fiction. Religon rules in the eyes of the owners, more change i guess.
I wonder if this network purchaced showtime pay per view its weird that stargate sg1 is on a pay per view network now. I dont recall EVER that a free series tv show was shown on a pay per view network. The reverse is typical but not what i see now.
Time for life!

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »
Thought Stargate started on Showtime, for like 44 episodes, before going to the SciFi channel.

I still like the lineup they had when it first did with the Invisible man, Stargate, and Farscape.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 04:02:02 am »
WTF? Have we been negligent as fans? I love Stargate Universe.

If only there were some way we could "stuff the Neilson box".

It is like TV execs like to torture sci-fi fans: "Look, we can do this well... but you can't have it! Neener, neener, neener!  :P"  Seriously, that is how it feels as a fan.

edit: waaaitt a minute.... I see a pattern. First, Defying Gravity and now Stargate Universe... See the common themes?  :skeptic: 

It would lead me to believe that the next big industry backed Sci-Fi box-office smash will be starring Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Reynolds and feature a storyline about... ponies? (space ponies?) Something nice and safe.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:58:50 am by Bonk »

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:51:54 am »
It's been a huge ratings failure. It's a wonder that it has taken this long to cancel. No politics, just numbers and a lack thereof.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »
Bummer... the story was just getting good in both cases. I wonder will they finish writing it? (have they already?)

Remember the talk of a Foundation movie? Well why not make a novel/trilogy out of Stargate Universe and then let somebody make the movie 40 years down the road when people start to get it... ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:24:18 pm »
For those who need Stargate fixes there are novells (original not just novellizations) for all 3 series (up to 15 for SG-1 and SG-A I think). 

With the novells I do wish they would follow some of the other teams at times not just focus on the "A" team. 

I'm sure that a new series could be done.  I know that I myself have thought of at least 2 story lines that could be used in the SG universe setting.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:24:34 pm »
WTF? Have we been negligent as fans? I love Stargate Universe.

If only there were some way we could "stuff the Neilson box".

It is like TV execs like to torture sci-fi fans: "Look, we can do this well... but you can't have it! Neener, neener, neener!  :P"  Seriously, that is how it feels as a fan.

edit: waaaitt a minute.... I see a pattern. First, Defying Gravity and now Stargate Universe... See the common themes?  :skeptic: 

It would lead me to believe that the next big industry backed Sci-Fi box-office smash will be starring Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Reynolds and feature a storyline about... ponies? (space ponies?) Something nice and safe.  ::)

Bonk;

If I had a nickel.......
Do you remember your post....http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163390936.msg1123014740.html#msg1123014740

WE KNEW THIS WAS COMING!!!!!!!
Them basteages were going to cancel it when they moved it to a new time slot!! see: http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2351453&view=findpost&p=6865778

Damn them!!!!! Damn them all!!!
they suck us in, give us a few shows then WHAM!!! cancled...just when you start to collect the series in DVD or Blu-Ray wham....the end it!!

Who gives a rats behind about WWE Smackdown on SYFY!!! it does'nt belong there..we can't allow it...I don't watch it!!!!
Don't they have TNT Monday! :knuppel2:

give me a show of reply's on how many people think Warehouse13 with there artifacts is strongly mirroring that old Friday the 13th (the series) with artifacts??
OR
how many people really want to watch Michael Bien in B-Rated meteor movies, or that B-rated Baldwin brother in aliens movies, In the name of the king (dungeon siege?), Polar meltdown, solar flair,  Mega Quake,  Shark Attack......please give me a break.....
get rid of the crappy shows, Ghost hunters, Ghost hunters international, Fact or Fiction, Tokko, all stupid..

Check this out Dec-22-2010 from 6:00 to 24:00....18 HOURS OF GHOST HUNTERS....IT'S INSANITY!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:18:37 pm »
Scifi is going the way of the discovery channel.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »
It was bound to have lower ratings in my opinion because of it taking more of a BSG type turn (thus some older fans might not have liked that) but still absolutly rediculous, As is I barely watch TV anymore, its soon to disappear entirely if syfy keeps this up *sighs*
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:19:34 am »
SG Universe was dull and depressing.  I only watched it because I'm starving for science-fiction.  I get enough disappointment and discouragement in real life.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 01:41:35 am »
While i liked where it was going this season (it was finally backing off the drama a bit and the crew was finally cooperating and ralling together) I can understand why. 

1. Its much darker for SG genre, prolly to dark for most fans tastes.  Maybe i'm the exception, but I still like my good guys to be good, and bad guys to be bad, not shades of both.  I also prefer my protaganists to actually work together to achieve a common goal and not constantly vie for power (which gets old quick). 

2.  The camera work is second rate imo.  high contrast and shakey camera work get annoying fast with me.  Whatever happened to actually trying to get a good, meaningfully shot that meaningfully captures what is going on.  instead we just get zoom in for and shake for emphasis.

3.  Finally way to much damn drama, its sci fi, not a soap.  Characters need depth, yes, but not to the point where the story is sacrificed.

Don't get me wrong, as i said it was turning around.  And i loved most of the CGI work (minus that shakey camera crap).  But even though they are backing off on alot of these points, its too little too late, they poisoned the well I think.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:00 am »
Truthfully the whole effort felt tired. It was like Stargate Voyager. While I think the universe still has plenty of room for storyteling there was no need to go to yet another unknown galaxy. It felt contrived just to get a mosly clean slate again. I would have prefered a more cinventional ship based show based on a Deadalus or next gen ship rather then "Lost in Space 3" ;)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 10:48:19 am »
Maybe BSG blood and chrome will make up for the loss?
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »
SyFy isn't interested in SciFi anymore....

How long have they had WWE on now?

SGU was just getting good, but it wasn't the ratings draw SG1 was... nor was it the campy-ness of SG:Atlantis...

I swear every time I look at the channel, they are showing ghost hunters or wrestling...

I haz a sad n0w.... no more good scifi for the forseeable future....
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 09:10:31 pm »

I just re-read this piece of sarcasm from myself... and you know what? It could just work. A la Spaceballs. Only more sick and twisted. A statement on the state of SciFi. We couldn't write it in public though, it would be that twisted. A cross between Mel Brooks and David Cronenberg early direction styles and Philip K. Dick and Gary Larson writing styles.

:flame:  I'm tempted to start writing. The way that Blazing Saddles marked the end of the classic western...

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:47:56 am »
SyFy isn't interested in SciFi anymore....

How long have they had WWE on now?

SGU was just getting good, but it wasn't the ratings draw SG1 was... nor was it the campy-ness of SG:Atlantis...

I swear every time I look at the channel, they are showing ghost hunters or wrestling...

I haz a sad n0w.... no more good scifi for the forseeable future....

The " true " own the network now so expect the same as is. Science is a fad , fiction is in the dumb arse eyes. Fact well toss that totaly out the window unless there is something $ to gain from it.  :laugh:
Religon well they will tell their storys.  When ever did any buffy style horror flik be scify? The day religon theme buys a network.   syfi :o
Time for life!

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 01:06:32 am »
The who purchased it?

Um... I can't believe NBC gave it up....  perfect vehicle to throw all their bad science global warming flicks on....
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 01:22:15 am »
The reason Sy Fy is dispensing with new shows is quite simply, the revenue is not there.  Sci-fi has always been expensive.  Ghost Hunters and wrestling are cheap to produce, and still sell ads.  Television, as we know it, is already an outdated medium, making future revenue models uncertain.  Worse, current economic conditions make selling ads difficult.  Like any company, Sy Fy has to invest in whatever produces the most revenue, even if it is an excavating company in Asia.  Still, a company must produce the product that it was created for.  This is because a company relies on more than tangible assests.  One cannot readily put a price on program library and any number of potential customers, willing to watch advertising.  These are things that noone else has and can be made to make money.

Even under better conditions, a specialty TV network has only so many resources to devote to producing programming.  It is not even that STU is failing to make a profit.  As the company invests its resources in one program, other potential programs cannot be produced.  As Sy Fy looked into the future of STU, all they could see was a shrinking audience and less revenue.  The future on the company requires programing that maintains and builds an audience.  STU did not do that.  In fact, it was so depressing that it repelled many veiwers.  Sy Fy just has to cut their losses and do something else.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:25:09 am by Tulwar »
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:05 am »
Totally logical analysis Tulwar. Most Vulcan.  :)

The " true " own the network now so expect the same as is. Science is a fad , fiction is in the dumb arse eyes. Fact well toss that totaly out the window unless there is something $ to gain from it.  :laugh:
Religon well they will tell their storys.  When ever did any buffy style horror flik be scify? The day religon theme buys a network.   syfi :o

The True?

Interesting comment on religion, I figured the religious/atheistic(?) overtones of Defying Gravity and Stargate Universe were for sure the reasons they were cancelled.

Science fad?  Don't get me started on what people call science these days... and who the media calls scientists. :shakeshead: The public is led to believe that certain fields of study and exploration are science... Not.

While Jamie and Adam and the vegan redhead's boobs are entertaining... but that is not the type of "science" reporting that gets me. It is when the media presents biology and medicine as science. Or Nature publications.... if it is published in Nature you can pretty much rest assured it is populist crap. That really gets me going.

edit - Allow me to qualify my opinionated view so as not to offend (as much): Biology is a study and Medicine is an art, each wonderful in their own right, and can each employ the scientific method, but to be semantically correct; sciences they are not.

Gaming is the new vehicle. Start writing folks!  :)

<Ryan and Reese ride through Ringworld on their pink ponies, blasting every Puppeteer creation they see into oblivion and ride off into the stars...>  ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:11:19 am by Bonk »