Topic: Dear Space Channel...  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Dear Space Channel...
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »
 :soap:

Nobody wants to watch "Being Human" OK?

Something happened to Space about oh two years ago... right around when they rescheduled the stargate timeslot in the middle of the last season with no announcements whatsoever. I thought the series had been cancelled. All of a sudden it was gone. I had to watch the Ori season in re-runs out of sequence... I was pissed.

Now this? Being Human? I can tell it is a bad Twilight ripoff and I have never even seen either.  And they run it ALL THE TIME. They even blackout the good shows "accidentally" for days at a time in the hopes someone will watch that Being Human crap. We don't want it.

Insert sexist rant: OK... Sci Fi has no room for touchy feely existential teenage dating angst crap... I mean come on.

The obvious and transparent trend in SCiFi in recent years has been to make a grab at the extremely lucrative young female market (it is where ALL the money is - all of it). The result? Crap vacuous content with lots of mobile phone ads. Grrr.

Get off my lawn!

I'd swear... it is like Space is trying to self destruct... change the timeslot on their flagship program with no announcement in the middle of its super-hyped final season... then the best new sci fi series in ages comes along... axed 13 episodes in... now Todd and the Book of Evil? (redone, badly, and milked out into episodes...) Being Human? To all outward appearances, it would seem that the Space Channel is being destroyed from within. I don't see why the parent network wouldn't just pull the plug instead of doing this. There must be some money in it for them if they go down in flames.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:27:43 pm by Bonk »

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: Dear Space Channel...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:20:36 pm »
makes me glad I don't have TV anymore.  Don't have to watch all the crap anymore.  It is sad, because you can watch it, you do. 
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »
And with the removal of Caprica, and again with moving SGU to another time slot, further degrades the channel IMHO...

What in the world is wrestling doing on sci fi.. I got tired of ghost hunters, fact or fiction and the like, on the first episode. there is no Scf-Fi in a reality show...and then they put WWE on my all time favorite channel.....

They terminated the Sarah Connor chronicles, killed Jeremiah, buried Warehouse 13 and made Eureka disappear.

AMC shows more Sci Fi now then ever..........I'm moving too there...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »
@ ShadowDiver... they killed Eureka too? :smackhead: what idiots...

@ marstone ... Yes, as the old saying goes... "Don't like the war? Turn it off."  We didn't have a TV until I was 12. (And Gramps sent it to me from the Sears catalog cause he felt bad... I used it to watch David Suzuki back when he was good.)

I like my sci-fi and fantasy shows though. Commercials in online content aren't so bad, I'm pretty fast with the mute and alt-tab to go read a few gizmodo stories until the ads are over. But the old volume blast trick is worse than ever... very dangerous with headphones... actually considered writing to the Candaian Standards Association about that one... if they damage hearing with it they can no longer deny the tactic.

I have a standard demonstration... wait for an ad to come on... turn the sound down until you can just hear it clearly... then wait for the program to resume... complete silence until the next ad. I don't know how the industry can deny it with such boundless enthusiasm. It really does make them look bad.

The equivalent trend in online video snips is the appearance of very loud and annoying splashes on the beginning of every video.

The louder and more agressively you advertise yourself, the less likely I will buy your products...

I will NEVER buy any of the following due to their ads being so annoying and dangerously irresponsible towards hearing damage:

-Toyota (yaris series of ads)
-Sony (that effing helicopter...in the new camera commercial whoop, whoop, whoop... oh god my ears!)
...there are a bunch of examples like this.
-Smart Car.... (these guys are sadists... seriously, I can guarantee that Daimler blew speakers and eardrums around the world with that punch noise... oh yeah, real cute, blow my speakers and eardrums and then expect me to buy your crap car...) Are advertising execs really that stupid?

It has gottent to the point with me that most advertisements motivate me to NOT buy the product because the ads are so annoying and loud. Occassionally, an ad comes along that is not loud or annoying and simply describes the product... sometimes I buy those items even if I don;t need them, just to reward them for being nice and not trying to burst my eardrums as I watch stargate.

I have a certain advertising get rich quick scheme... needs significant initiaql investment, but the returns should be good. Buy lots of time on all the hot programs... get your sound guy to build the most annoying 30 second track possible, ringing phones, screaming women, crying babies, simulated orgasms, screeching tires, fingernails on blackboards... compress it all to the max, amp every frequency to just short of clipping.. heck - clip some of them... and then... for those who think they can escape with the mute button... make the video track a multicolor whole screen strobe - the kind that lights the whole room and prevents any concentrations whatsoever, the kind that makes walking difficult... - seizure inducing levels...  - perfect... then at the end... put up the 1-800 number asking for $100. The customers get nothing... you stop running the ad on all their favorite shows when you reach your target revenue? $100M? That is what they will pay for, for you to stop annoying them.
Take TV hostage.   :flame:

I bet it would work. It is current consumerism and advertising taken to it's logical (though really absurd) and inevitable conclusion on its current path.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:56:51 pm by Bonk »

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:41:02 pm »
If you really really want to be depressed take a look at this [http://epguides.com/menu/discontinued_past.html] by no means is this a complete list but is show's whats happening in TV land folks..

Why is it that good scify shows get discontinued and replaced by pathetic, amateurish soap-operas swallowed up by eco-nazis trying to brainwash their viewers?

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »
when I did watch tv it was Discovery and History channel.  Then SciFi, followed up with Disney, Cartoon network.

I also liked David Suzuki when I was a kid.  Also Carl Sagan.

I feel for you Bonk, I miss good SciFi also.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:52:37 pm »
@Shadow, are you refering to old repeat episodes timeslots for eureka or new episodes, just confused which your refering to since new episodes arent returning till 2011

I pretty much only watch syfy channel these days, its shrinking with some of these crazy programs such as them picking up the WWE, Im positively annoyed with it taking up the Stargate timeslot on friday making it move to Tuesday. Its certainly sad, Once those shows go there wont be much left on TV except for the occasional good airing of something, thats about it. Commercials, well ill usually just mute them till the show is just about ready to come on again, saving a lot of aggrivation with commercials for me.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:36:12 pm »
umm... i though new episodes for eureka were due out in december....
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:32:04 am »
Why is it that good scify shows get discontinued and replaced by pathetic, amateurish soap-operas swallowed up by eco-nazis trying to brainwash their viewers?

Um... cuz Syfy is owned by NBC, who in turn is owned by GE.  Who is getting LOTS and LOTS of mula from the Federal government to promote their green products.

That is why....

Never thought I'd live to see Shadow Run come true.... but here we are...
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:59:10 am »
umm... i though new episodes for eureka were due out in december....

Really? Cool. I like that show.

What I don't get is why they cancel great stuff like Defying Gravity and then ram crap like Being Human down our throats. Ugh. The whole Todd and the Book of Evil thing grosses me out, as the original short was good for what it was. Turning a good short into a series is a no-go, sorry.

And what happened to Sanctuary? Cast change with no explanation, and not a good one. It does not work.

I think it is political correctness and marketing to where the money is. Unfortunate.

The new Dr. Who does nothing for me either, feels just like watching Fawlty Towers, which I never found funny at any age. I can stand about 45 seconds of either.

Grumble... lawn... get off!

We need a revival of written Sci-Fi, (or I need to catch up).  Where are the Asimovs, Dicks, Heinleins and Wells' of today? Do I have to write it myself?

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:22 pm »
And what is Space Precinct? 1994 rerunning a dead series with a 3 eyed yoda and a cheap terminator looking thing...

why don't they just start showing buck rogers again, or the original battlestar......woes...me..

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »
As far as I know there is 1 episode special on Dec 7th for Eureka and Warehouse 13 then they return sometime in 2011 for the rest of the season.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.