Topic: FYI: work in progress: OP+ 4.1  (Read 109382 times)

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
Re: FYI: work in progress: OP+ 4.1
« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »
Just a little note - Firesoul's shiplist will =-not=- be used for SFC EAW : Community Edition or SFC4.

This is due to licensing issues, nothing else.

Great work Firesoul!

Regards,

Interesting. I wonder what's not compatible.  *shrug*
It's not like I can't mod THAT too! :)

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »
Planet issue looks fixed now. I guess I'll release a RC5 today, so soon after RC4, after I review some refits.
Does anyone need an updated Planets.zip ?

-- FS

ie: op41_gorn_planet_POV__fixed_hardpoints.png  .... look! Plasma S!

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »
On a planetary assault I ran into Z-PL2 at range zero way before I hit the physical model if that make any sense. The planet had rings I think.

Yea, it makes sense. The rings are part of the model, and aren't fly-through.
Exception: there's a planet with rings where you can fly through the rings, but that's hardcoded in SFC's sourcecode, and not the model.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »
I have been wondering will this ever play on the Dyna again or just IP?

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2011, 06:45:37 pm »
I have been wondering will this ever play on the Dyna again or just IP?

:angel:

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2011, 11:38:00 pm »
Release Candidate 5 is up: more planet hardpoint tweaks, some Advanced Era cleanup.

OP+ Site: http://klingon.pet.dhs.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=SFC:OP_Plus_Refit
Release Candidate 4 Download: http://klingon.pet.dhs.org/OP_plusrefit/opplus_41_models_20110530204744.exe

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2011, 11:45:24 pm »
Just a little note - Firesoul's shiplist will =-not=- be used for SFC EAW : Community Edition or SFC4.

Great work Firesoul!

Regards,

If I had to guess, since licensing was mentioned, unless the additional SFB material is licensed through ADB, they can't use it in their update(s) to SFC.  What was already in the game is 'covered', any additional SFB ships are not.

What implications this may have for SFC4, I have no clue...

That being said, since you are doing a 'fan based' mod, and since people who care to will use your shiplist anyways, I don't see that there is a problem with having two or more choices r.e. the shiplist.

As for your planet mods, well I don't see any reason THOSE couldn't be used, seeing they aren't handled the same in SFB as they are in SFC.

I'm sure Frey will PM you or clarify what the issue is here shortly!

Keep up the good work Firesoul!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2011, 01:04:17 am »
On a planetary assault I ran into Z-PL2 at range zero way before I hit the physical model if that make any sense. The planet had rings I think.

Yea, it makes sense. The rings are part of the model, and aren't fly-through.
Exception: there's a planet with rings where you can fly through the rings, but that's hardcoded in SFC's sourcecode, and not the model.

These planets with rings are removed from the SG shiplist for just this reason. There are two in every race.

Offline D Boons Ghost

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2011, 09:59:10 am »
Forgive me on not knowing the ins and outs of the shiplist (which is fantastic, by the way) -- but after applying the third release candidate for a (Gorn/Early Era) single-player game, I began to have the smallest monster 'ships' as allies in patrol missions.

I'd like to imagine that the Beast Raiders learned to harness the monsters, but I am not too sure that is the intent.  :)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

Great work Firesoul!

Regards,

Not sure what your talking about here.

If I had to guess, since licensing was mentioned, unless the additional SFB material is licensed through ADB, they can't use it in their update(s) to SFC.  What was already in the game is 'covered', any additional SFB ships are not.

What implications this may have for SFC4, I have no clue...

That being said, since you are doing a 'fan based' mod, and since people who care to will use your shiplist anyways, I don't see that there is a problem with having two or more choices r.e. the shiplist.

As for your planet mods, well I don't see any reason THOSE couldn't be used, seeing they aren't handled the same in SFB as they are in SFC.

I'm sure Frey will PM you or clarify what the issue is here shortly!

Keep up the good work Firesoul!

Exactly. Firesouls shiplists include current ships from current ADB modules that were not licensed to be used in SFC. Firesoul can continue to release his most excellent shiplist as a mod, and thus will be the sole individual that will have to deal with ADB if they decide to come after someone for not getting permission to use their work in a derivative.

:)

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #410 on: May 31, 2011, 12:38:27 pm »
As this is a purely noprofit venture that puts it squarly in the fair use part of copy right law and should shield him from a red tape attack from lawyers ;D

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #411 on: May 31, 2011, 01:13:51 pm »
As this is a purely noprofit venture that puts it squarly in the fair use part of copy right law and should shield him from a red tape attack from lawyers ;D

My argument is simply this: I've added exposure to ADB. I hope I helped them increase their sales, beyond my purchasing stuff from them myself. I really do not see how my work can be any problem: it's basically free advertisement and endorsement.

-- FS

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:31 pm »
Forgive me on not knowing the ins and outs of the shiplist (which is fantastic, by the way) -- but after applying the third release candidate for a (Gorn/Early Era) single-player game, I began to have the smallest monster 'ships' as allies in patrol missions.

I'd like to imagine that the Beast Raiders learned to harness the monsters, but I am not too sure that is the intent.  :)

I understand. What mission(s) were you flying?

Who is allied to whom is decided else.
ie:
- mission script
- internal game .gf files.

I've just looked in MetaAssets\ServerProfiles\SinglePlayer\MetaMap.gf , and found that BeastRaiders are indeed quite friendly to Gorns. they're the next friendliest pas tthe Federation. If it bothers you, you can change these values a bit (0-1000, 0 == allied, 1000 == war) and set up a different secondary ally. ;)

Code: [Select]
[PoliticalTension/StartingTensions/Gorn]
Federation=0
Klingon=900
Romulan=1000
Lyran=900
Hydran=100
Gorn=0
ISC=800
Mirak=200
Orion=200
OrionOrion=400
OrionKorgath=300
OrionPrime=1000
OrionTigerHeart=200
OrionBeastRaiders=100
OrionSyndicate=900
OrionWyldeFire=500
OrionCamboro=200
Monster=200

Offline D Boons Ghost

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #413 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:15 pm »
Thank you very much, Firesoul.

I am flying the Evil Dave 'vs. ISC' campaign missions, if that matters.  But now that you clarified the situation, I wish to keep the Beast Raider relationship as is.  :)  Oddly enough, I have never once seen a monster used as an ally before. 

I found another oddity in the third release candidate I am running (Single Player, Gorn, Early Era, Evil Dave) ... when left-clicking the Prime Trader ships (PT1 and PT3) in the shipyard, the ship outline is blank (though the weapon layouts do appear) and it classifies as a 'Battle Station'. 

Much appreciation. 

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #414 on: May 31, 2011, 08:55:32 pm »
It seems to be working fine as for the missions it depends on were you got them from as I got mine from Pestalence's Enhancement Pack but they are ED.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #415 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:29 am »
Thank you very much, Firesoul.

I am flying the Evil Dave 'vs. ISC' campaign missions, if that matters.  But now that you clarified the situation, I wish to keep the Beast Raider relationship as is.  :)  Oddly enough, I have never once seen a monster used as an ally before. 

I found another oddity in the third release candidate I am running (Single Player, Gorn, Early Era, Evil Dave) ... when left-clicking the Prime Trader ships (PT1 and PT3) in the shipyard, the ship outline is blank (though the weapon layouts do appear) and it classifies as a 'Battle Station'. 

Much appreciation.

In the shipyard? .. hm. interesting. I wonder if this can be reproduced on my end. I'll research soon.

-- FS

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #416 on: June 01, 2011, 09:47:47 am »

My argument is simply this: I've added exposure to ADB. I hope I helped them increase their sales, beyond my purchasing stuff from them myself. I really do not see how my work can be any problem: it's basically free advertisement and endorsement.

-- FS

Your argument fails.

How have you increased their sales? Where is your proof? You have none, unfortunately, that I've seen. ADB seems to feel the same way.

Ask ADB. I already did.

Your just not making any money off this, which is why they haven't come after you. This isn't fantasy, and ADB is not in business for doing good things, which I've found out several years ago. They are still quite pissed at the entire SFC series, as they feel they didn't get their fair share of money from the licensing, and have expressed their position that if anything is added that is based upon current / past modules, they will ensure it's licensed , or removed.

The bottom line is it'd cost more money than it's worth right now to come after you, because they'd have to show certain things in a Civil Court, loss of use, copyright infrigements, etc... which you'd not be able to fight and would likely just cave in and remove everything. 

That would change if we included it in our CE and SFC4. CE is not a worry as we've already decided what we're going to use in regards to the shiplist (stock Taldren, obviously), but SFC4 is something we're going to work on and doing so means trying to resolve the bad blood there and work it out so we can use new stuff, or the stuff that was already there but never finished and is based upon ADB stuff.

This is why coders usually don't run businesses ;) And please Firesoul, before your ego blows the back of your head off, take a couple moments to breath and think about what I'm saying. While you may wish your argument was enough, I'm confident you'll see the truth if you really want to and anything you may suddenly desire to do (read: react) in regards to ADB would likely simply make the matter worse for the future of SFC.

So please, simply continue your great work on your MOD, and I think the community knows we'll be using it as a standard for the length of the life of SFC, as it's already established itself. Leave the rest to the people who've dealt with it before, and have experience with it.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #417 on: June 01, 2011, 03:44:12 pm »

-- FS

Steve Cole is a greedy jackass so don't be shocked if he tries to squeeze a few nickles out of you sometime in the future.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #418 on: June 01, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
So what did you finally do for XP refits?  The only thing that I didn't think would be too cheezy won't be the XPR power refit can conversion of Phaser 2 to Phaser 1, everything else would be absurdly un-balanced.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #419 on: June 01, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »
Firesoul, the Andros! mission was a blast. Thank you very much for that.
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron