Topic: FYI: work in progress: OP+ 4.1  (Read 109428 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: FYI: work in progress: OP+ 4.1
« Reply #280 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:25 pm »

I know a lot of players that won't play 4.1, simply because it is 4.1....I myself will not play 4.0 just because you put this effort into 4.1, I believe we should play 4.1, I'm not going to bounce back to 4.0 because they are being stubborn about change...

Its not so much that as it is the fact that noone wants to have 4.1 loaded when everyone else is using 4.0.  So of course noone uses 4.1, and as a result everyone still uses 4.0.  Typical catch 22.

Well I'm late to the argument on this. But I know as everyone else does that fractured community assets split the playerbase and lead to ill will. That cannot be argued against. FS deciding to offer to please everyone is sticky business and I'm glad I'm not in his shoes because he is in a tight spot, but everyone knows what I'd have done. Forward progress! Out with the old in with the new. You don't like it piss off! You could always backup those model folders and reload them into 4.1, hehe. No better way to change than to kill everything you are used to.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #281 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:02 pm »
Just realized the LODs are jacked up w/ those files... you have to zoom in way to far to get the high poly model... arg... i'm guessing that LOD transition numbers don't exactly corrispond to in game distance do it... I hate LODs

Edit:  Fixed... i think.  New files in previous post

So that is it? You updated the OP (EAW meshes are far less quality) planet meshes with WHICH hardpoint diagram? The color coded one or the black and white older version?

If it was that easy, sheesh why havent we fixed this earlier? Thanks Tus.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #282 on: May 08, 2011, 11:24:50 pm »
yours.  It was pretty straight forward though.  make a hp, set its 'center' to 0,0,0 , then do an 'array' clone at 15 degree intervals with 24 total hps as the end result.  Then it was simply import planet, skip the old hps when it asks and then export planet
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline DIFJosh

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »
hey Dizzy
you and Diehard should look me up
our teamspeak3 info is located at www.cugs.org
we still are around playing 4.0 and are considering trying 4.1 when Firesoul get it all finished
nice seeing you alive my old friend

DIFJosh CUGS

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2011, 02:23:48 am »

I know a lot of players that won't play 4.1, simply because it is 4.1....I myself will not play 4.0 just because you put this effort into 4.1, I believe we should play 4.1, I'm not going to bounce back to 4.0 because they are being stubborn about change...

Its not so much that as it is the fact that noone wants to have 4.1 loaded when everyone else is using 4.0.  So of course noone uses 4.1, and as a result everyone still uses 4.0.  Typical catch 22.

Well I'm late to the argument on this. But I know as everyone else does that fractured community assets split the playerbase and lead to ill will. That cannot be argued against. FS deciding to offer to please everyone is sticky business and I'm glad I'm not in his shoes because he is in a tight spot, but everyone knows what I'd have done. Forward progress! Out with the old in with the new. You don't like it piss off! You could always backup those model folders and reload them into 4.1, hehe. No better way to change than to kill everything you are used to.

OP+ 4.1 RC2:
- does not need 4.1 to be uninstalled
- comes with a tool to flip the installation back and forth, quickly, between 4.0 and 4.1

.. in other words, I eliminated the excuse.

.. as for pissing someone off, I won't be able to help with that. it WILL happen. I will however TRY to listen at least once and see it their way. .. I'll make my own decision afterwards if I want to say no to it, or not.

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #285 on: May 09, 2011, 02:27:35 am »
Ok, attached are the stock planets with new hardpoints that follow Dizzy's layout (not mps).  please note there are no texture files in here as the only thing changed are the .mod files.  I placed the hps slightly off the planets surface so they shouldn't shoot the planet when the fire.  I haven't test them in game though.

Edit:  Fixed, I think...

Thank you Tus. I'll take a look at these soon. I'm taking a short step back from SFC: it's actually gotten to me emotionally this weekend, while talking to some players.

My current Todo list, as it is:
- review of my pirates. Some of my pirates suck ass: powercurves shot.
  - I was actually warned on this. oops.
- review and inclusion of the planets models.

Offline Astarte

• Feline Mixtress
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Mew? *grins*
« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2011, 02:35:08 am »
Thanks Age!

Although I realize looking at it here that I should have blurred the ships in the background a bit for perception accuracy..but FS doesn't want me to mess with it anymore.  *chuckles*

Wow...you did those....(read..I'm floored!)...

I had asked FoaS a few months back if he could do a sig for me, but he has been super busy....
Would you have time to do one? If yes just tell me what you want / need to get started...

Paul.

If FoaS doesn't mind me taking a stab at it, I can give it a go at least.

FS' banner is pretty much a copy/paste job, but I don't mind exploring my photoshop.  It's fun!

I would basically need to know what size, colours, theme, font if you have it, any ships...stuff like that.

Oh!  And so as not to derail this thread...where should I post the product for you afterwards (ie.  Community Art and Renderings or dnet signatures)?

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:34 am »
Thanks Age!

Although I realize looking at it here that I should have blurred the ships in the background a bit for perception accuracy..but FS doesn't want me to mess with it anymore.  *chuckles*

Wow...you did those....(read..I'm floored!)...

I had asked FoaS a few months back if he could do a sig for me, but he has been super busy....
Would you have time to do one? If yes just tell me what you want / need to get started...

Paul.

If FoaS doesn't mind me taking a stab at it, I can give it a go at least.

FS' banner is pretty much a copy/paste job, but I don't mind exploring my photoshop.  It's fun!

I would basically need to know what size, colours, theme, font if you have it, any ships...stuff like that.

Oh!  And so as not to derail this thread...where should I post the product for you afterwards (ie.  Community Art and Renderings or dnet signatures)?

Start your own thread, dear.

Love,
-- FS

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:23 am »

OP+ 4.1 RC2:
- does not need 4.1 to be uninstalled
- comes with a tool to flip the installation back and forth, quickly, between 4.0 and 4.1

.. in other words, I eliminated the excuse.

.. as for pissing someone off, I won't be able to help with that. it WILL happen. I will however TRY to listen at least once and see it their way. .. I'll make my own decision afterwards if I want to say no to it, or not.

Great!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline Voidwar

• Commander
« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:20 pm »

Thank you Tus. I'll take a look at these soon. I'm taking a short step back from SFC: it's actually gotten to me emotionally this weekend, while talking to some players.

My current Todo list, as it is:
- review of my pirates. Some of my pirates suck ass: powercurves shot.
  - I was actually warned on this. oops.
- review and inclusion of the planets models.

Loved chatting with you on this Firesoul, I really hope my emotional input was positive and productive, please keep up the great work and we have been playtesting 4.1 and some polished up 6.0 already, over at GameRanger with the CUGS fellers.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
-J.B. Books  www.hotandspicyforums.com

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #290 on: May 09, 2011, 06:31:22 pm »
Question for FS and any who care: What would you like the upper limit for a hi rez planet to be? keep in mind that the current planets are 1k each at lod1
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #291 on: May 09, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »
Gentlemen! Be advised that I am not looking for hires meshes or textures to include in the distribution of this mod.

-- FS

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #292 on: May 09, 2011, 09:07:46 pm »
cool, then they'll be compatable standalones
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #293 on: May 09, 2011, 09:33:11 pm »
WHICH hardpoint map did you use? The colored version or the one I found in Modelsplease's planet hardpoint DL test? Note that BOTH hardpoint maps are mine. The grayscale version is simply older and had been lost to me.

About planet maps, the OP planet meshes that have been revised with new hardpoints should be the only ones used from now on for planets. Custom texture alternatives with lighting tricks would be a great add on. The lod's and hardpoints need to be left intact if the mesh is altered.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:20 pm »
FS, the pirates in OP and EAW for that matter were always underpowered... The engine doubling made up for that... for a time, but wrecks your ship. Iirc, EAW doesnt have engine doubling. I had thought that an earlier EAW mod of a SG server saw the engines of pirates boosted a tad to compensate... I think one of those servers a few people actually flew pirates on the server... hehe

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #295 on: May 10, 2011, 01:48:22 am »
WHICH hardpoint map did you use? The colored version or the one I found in Modelsplease's planet hardpoint DL test? Note that BOTH hardpoint maps are mine. The grayscale version is simply older and had been lost to me.

About planet maps, the OP planet meshes that have been revised with new hardpoints should be the only ones used from now on for planets. Custom texture alternatives with lighting tricks would be a great add on. The lod's and hardpoints need to be left intact if the mesh is altered.

colored
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #296 on: May 10, 2011, 10:46:38 am »
hey Dizzy
you and Diehard should look me up
our teamspeak3 info is located at www.cugs.org
we still are around playing 4.0 and are considering trying 4.1 when Firesoul get it all finished
nice seeing you alive my old friend

DIFJosh CUGS

Good to see ya too. Glad cugs is trying 4.1. If you like it, it would be nice to see cugs adopt it as the new standard.

Miss the old matches! Fun times, man. Fun friends. I'll see about getting on ts3 later. Wanna do some sfceaw stuff 1st.

Offline DIFJosh

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #297 on: May 10, 2011, 01:08:03 pm »
trying it but it still has alot of problems ie: powercurve on pirates, probes on pirate races they have none, drone control on ships such as Fed DNM ( 7 drone racks yet can only control 6 drones doesn't make sense) these are just a few to name. also how about the continuing refits minus X technology on ship list .

there is more but this is a start hope FS is feeling better
DIFJoshCUGS
your friendly SFC Community Angel 8)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #298 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »
Is there a single updated post that lists all the bugs for 4.1? I agree that 6 drone control on a ship with 7 racks is annoying. Forces you to split fire and manage single rack firing... Even if it is SFB spec'd at control 6 it needs to be boosted to 7, imo, just to avoid the micromanagement necessary when playing the ship. I think Pirates should have probes even if they normally shouldnt have them. Too many missions have too much real estate to not have them. As for the powercurves of the pirates, they have ALWAYS sucked, but OP has engine doubling. I dont remember if EAW has it... A small boost in power so they dont suck so awfully bad would be nice... but thats sticky stuff.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #299 on: May 10, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »
Pirates weren't playable in EAW? Any ship with 6 drones or more should have 12 drone control.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel