Topic: FYI: work in progress: OP+ 4.1  (Read 109413 times)

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
Re: FYI: work in progress: OP+ 4.1
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2011, 08:24:36 am »
Excellent web site Firesoul!

Offline ShadowDiver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2011, 08:26:18 am »
once again...

A BIG THANK YOU!!!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2011, 08:24:48 pm »
Thanks again and your wife does great banners.

Offline Astarte

• Feline Mixtress
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Mew? *grins*
« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »
Thanks Age!

Although I realize looking at it here that I should have blurred the ships in the background a bit for perception accuracy..but FS doesn't want me to mess with it anymore.  *chuckles*

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »
No you should not have blurred them. They are just right: there's no air in space to cause blurring.

Thanks Age!

Although I realize looking at it here that I should have blurred the ships in the background a bit for perception accuracy..but FS doesn't want me to mess with it anymore.  *chuckles*

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:47 pm »
FYI: I am working on a Release Candidate 2.

• There's been enough resistance from people. They want this to co-exist with OP+ 4.0.  ... Can do.
    • I may include a OP+ 4.0/OP+ 4.1 shiplist swapper.
  • Something silly from the OP+ 4.0 corrections thread: a missing PF Variant. A .. Lyran phaser PF Leader
  • Last chance for Dizzy's planet models.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
Thanks Age!

Wow...you did those....(read..I'm floored!)...

I had asked FoaS a few months back if he could do a sig for me, but he has been super busy....
Would you have time to do one? If yes just tell me what you want / need to get started...

Paul.

We cooperated.

I did the rendering for the chosen models. I picked which models I wanted, all made them point the exact same way with the same lighting and gave her the saved image. Note: the background was BRIGHT GREEN.

She loaded those images up into photoshop, tossed out the green and resized the ships. Created a banner of a certain size, found a nice background, created the text and placed the ships.

So!
For a good banner, we need to know what it should look like. What ship? What's it doing? (don't make it fire! lol)

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »
may I say....IMHO...don't do that.......if you, myself and most other players want to see this thru......make it go thru...if you make a mod to flip back and forth the BAK files...your still going to have this problem of players not wanting to switch...

I know a lot of players that won't play 4.1, simply because it is 4.1....I myself will not play 4.0 just because you put this effort into 4.1, I believe we should play 4.1, I'm not going to bounce back to 4.0 because they are being stubborn about change...

I strongly urge you to stand your ground and fight for what you have worked so hard on to achieve, Firesoul you really have done a fantastic job..and I truly appreciate it..

It'll be okay. I don't mind them switching back and forth. The REAL issue is that in the last 5 years people have customized their OPPlus 4.0 release. They'll lose all the customizations with this installation.

Besides, if they choose to play 4.0 no matter what, then it's an indication that I didn't give them what they wanted... to which I don't CARE! :)
I'll play it and love it anyway.

-- FS

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #268 on: May 07, 2011, 12:36:01 am »
Well that is your decision, but personally it is a poor excuse....I've been modding the crap out of EAW, then I just copied and pasted my mods to your OP files... I completely re-did the textures folders, shuttles folders, monsters folders and a few others...and I'm the noob at this...they could do it way easier/faster than what it took me...(if they wanted too, that is.)

It's okay. I'll be clear the 4.1 is better, every step of the way.

Besides, I've already got this:

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2011, 02:38:12 am »
FYI: I am working on a Release Candidate 2.

• There's been enough resistance from people. They want this to co-exist with OP+ 4.0.  ... Can do.
    • I may include a OP+ 4.0/OP+ 4.1 shiplist swapper.
  • Something silly from the OP+ 4.0 corrections thread: a missing PF Variant. A .. Lyran phaser PF Leader
  • Last chance for Dizzy's planet models.
This would be hard if using the SFC OP Shiplist Chooser as you have to uninstall OP+4.0 to install 4.1 as it will identify it as the same.It is in Pestalence's E Pack 5.1.I use it to swap mods to stock 2552 and OP+4.1.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2011, 08:05:04 am »
ok, so how do we fix the planets? noone wants to rehardpoint them?

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #271 on: May 07, 2011, 01:45:54 pm »
ok, so how do we fix the planets? noone wants to rehardpoint them?

You haven't provided a clear description of what the hardpoints fixes are. You also said you were going to look for the models. I understand what the problem is, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2011, 06:47:59 am »
It's a sweeping fix. What is involved is that the shiplist for all the planets with weapons are redone and then the models themselves will have to be rehardpointed. The hardpoints are currently located anywhere from 5 to 7 range above and below the equator on the physical planet model itself, which obviously causes point defense weapons not to fire because if a ship approaches the equator, the point defense weapons are too far away to fire.

Make note that any weapon that ignores a fire arc should not be used on a planet as firing through the planet mesh occurs and the resulting sound collision from that fire is quite annoying. Below you will see the planet fire arc where HW1 is the front of the ship. HW1 stands for heavy weapon hardpoint 1 and is the 1st heavy weapon column in the shiplist. PH11 stands for the 11th phaser hardpoint and corresponds to the 11th weapon column in the shiplist.

The Yellow arcs should be Ph3 hardpoints which should be present on ALL planets. The Blue are the Ph4's which should be standard on all armed planets. The Red should be heavy weapon hardpoints that should be on all armed planets. The Orange should be optional heavy weapon hardpoints. The rest shaded grey should be only used for homeworlds. Ph1's should not be used on planets as it would give the planet too many defensive phasers.

I do not remember testing to see if a planet can make use of defensive tractors vs drones. I think they do, and I would give all planets 6 and homeworlds 12.

I am fuzzy on the artifex program and do not remember specifically which planets are referred to as colony world, core world and homeworld. If there are other designations artifex uses that the scripts and the map match up, it would be easy to simply use the existing planets as a reference and arm them from the stock taldren template using the fixes I have made.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2011, 06:59:46 am »
FS, I'm not sure who can rehardpoint these planet meshes, but brezgonne tested them for me once and sent me a model. The Harddrive it is on is inaccessible atm. But all he did was move the hardpoints to the equator of the planet mesh spread out in 15 degree arcs using the new fields of fire. I tested it and was SHOCKED when ph3 fire wiped out some incoming drones, something that has never before happened in any planet assault mission.

Question, doesnt OP have better planet models than EAW? As in more polys? And I'm not even sure you want to use the OP or EAW planet models. I have seen some planted meshes using the latest tricks in transparency and colored lighting effects and they are stellar. Using them would REALLY polish the game. I know FoaS is an experienced modeler and could whip out a fantastic planet, but I dont know if he or anyone else would be interested in updating this part of the game... It sure needs it. The very least the hardpoint should be redone and the shiplist redone to match.

Diz

Edit: interesting, I found an old post by modelsplease where he also made a test mesh with rehardpoints. However, these hardpoint correspond to a different arc map. see below. Here is the link to his post where he includes his download link for the test planet: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163369003.msg1122733290.html#msg1122733290
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:19:46 am by Dizzy »

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2011, 08:58:46 am »
That sounds easy enough.  I can modify the original planets quickly once a hp template is made.

edit:  Is that picture there the reference for the hps that sfc would use?
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2011, 09:38:05 am »
If you want new planet textures/models from me you might have to give me a day or two - I'm knee deep in updating Robinomicon.com
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #276 on: May 08, 2011, 10:34:07 am »
Ok, attached are the stock planets with new hardpoints that follow Dizzy's layout (not mps).  please note there are no texture files in here as the only thing changed are the .mod files.  I placed the hps slightly off the planets surface so they shouldn't shoot the planet when the fire.  I haven't test them in game though.

Edit:  see newer post
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:22:17 am by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #277 on: May 08, 2011, 02:34:49 pm »
I have been waiting for the revised hardpointed planets to be added to OP+ I can't wait to try themin game!
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #278 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »
Just realized the LODs are jacked up w/ those files... you have to zoom in way to far to get the high poly model... arg... i'm guessing that LOD transition numbers don't exactly corrispond to in game distance do it... I hate LODs

Edit:  Fixed... i think.  New files in previous post
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:58:33 pm by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #279 on: May 08, 2011, 07:56:19 pm »

I know a lot of players that won't play 4.1, simply because it is 4.1....I myself will not play 4.0 just because you put this effort into 4.1, I believe we should play 4.1, I'm not going to bounce back to 4.0 because they are being stubborn about change...

Its not so much that as it is the fact that noone wants to have 4.1 loaded when everyone else is using 4.0.  So of course noone uses 4.1, and as a result everyone still uses 4.0.  Typical catch 22.