Topic: Space Above and Beyond.  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Space Above and Beyond.
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:56:47 pm »
So, much as Babylon 5 was a series I had missed before when it originally aired, I discovered that this show is now available for free on you tube.

http://tvshack.cc/tv/Space__Above_and_Beyond/  (not that link gives the episodes on you tube. It is just all in one spot for expediency.)

Anyways, I'm watching the Pilot episode, and I am delighted so far. So much inner turmoil. we see them facing the same issues we do today, but with a sci fi feel.

Example, Invitro population our modern day racism/right to life.
Tanks or Androids AI, once again, a form of discrimination to the point where one is almost lynched.

If you guys get the chance check it out, as I would love to talk about this series also.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: Space Above and Beyond.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:09:00 am »
I've seen a couple of episodes, but I never really cared for what I saw. I think it warrants a rewatch with more mature eyes compared to what I had back then, though.

I would love to see a more evolved Sci-fi show come about, though. BSG was good, but it was pretty drama-with-action. Caprica feels like its going to be much more soap-opra-drama. Let there be something that is more deep and involved.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:10:48 am »
I couldn't agree with you more Foas. Firefly came pretty close at times, but we do need something new.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:21:37 am »
Firefly was more about 9 people living on a ship having adventures - which was great. I think what I'm saying is I'd rather see a TV show that is to Babylon 5 as Star Trek VI: The undiscovered Country was to the original series: More mature, more involved, more real.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 03:01:07 am »
Ahh ok, I see what you mean.

There was a few series that almost had what it needed in that vein, Consider Earth 2 for example. The basic over all plot of the show was pretty darn good for the most part, and given the cast, they came across as seasoned, even though many of them didn't have much time on the screen prior.

Or better yet, and I know I'm dating myself here, How about something like Space:1999 , of course we would have to change the name, and uhm probably the location, as the moon itself would not fly with our modern audience. But perhaps a small rogue planet, or asteroid. you could build a lot of tension with the right writers.

I think the hard part, is having the depiction of maturity ,that we saw in ST6, without the fun we had watching the frivolity of the cast in the past.

Stephen

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:28:03 pm »
*sigh* I loved and loathed this show.

Loved the theme & back ground.  Absolutely hated the "we are a squadron of newbie officers who are fighter pilots AND special forces ground pounders".

Hell, the invitro CO was the only "Marine" who showed a lick of common sense in that show.
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »
This is true. I watched episode 11 last night, and so far it is my Fav.

It referenced the Brits and Germans during WW2 and how they stopped killing each other long enough to share Christmas.  Spoke a lot about varying faiths in that one also.

Stephen

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:35:03 am »
*sigh* I loved and loathed this show.

Loved the theme & back ground.  Absolutely hated the "we are a squadron of newbie officers who are fighter pilots AND special forces ground pounders".

Hell, the invitro CO was the only "Marine" who showed a lick of common sense in that show.

Heh Heh - felt exactly the same way about the show.

Really really dug the episode with the Black Hole tho - I watch that one every couple of years just for nostalgia sake.

Show had a lot of potential - small production budget probably hindered it more than anything.

Should really be a good candidate for a modern reboot - with a little less angst - and more focused on the themes of predjudice and duty.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 06:15:38 pm »
Ah, yes, that was probably the best one.

I think they spent enough on special effects, but certainly not enough on the tech side of the house.

If a reboot is ever done, hopefully they has for a Marine liaison officer to tell them, "no, that is just f'ing stupid!"

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 06:35:22 pm »
I have the show but only saw the first episode.  I just get bored with it so I've never actually gotten through it yet.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
I just picked it up on DVD for $40 Cdn (+tax of course).  I'm giving it to my brother-in-law for Christmas.  Must carry on the tradition of giving him 1st Seasons of TV shows that I haven't seen so I get to know if I'm likely to like it before wasting my time watching it ;) .
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."