Topic: Destynova Tholian Retexture  (Read 9299 times)

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
Re: Destynova Tholian Retexture
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 11:35:30 pm »
Well what I'm going for is that the ship's main hull looks like it was carved from a solid block of stone. What I'm not sure of is if I want the hull surfice to look polished or more textured.

Going to head to bed and keep at it over the next few days. Will keep you updated.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:10 am »

Tomorrow I'll make a vid about how I make my impulse and warp-grille textures :)
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:18 am »
Sure FOAS you will do anything, as long as it is not finishing and releasing a ship for the game
and I use to think I was easy to distract  :D

and yes make the videos' as one most ppl don't have the patients to read a full explaination

and since you asked to answer any questions:
1 why i the sky blue
2 why do we have to age
etc

This is what you get when you post when you are tired and forget to add the smilley faces!

Yes Bonk I was teasing FOAS about taking the easy route, and yes he is more easily distracted than me, and he still needs to finish ships  ;D

Either way to write up how to do textures is very hard, even the simplist of things can seem complex in writting. It would take weeks to write up how to texture the things he is showing by video and no one would every read every word as it would take to long. Written instructions would only be followed for the sections that are being done you would skim to that section and read that section only. Also there is normally a disconnect in the authours understanding and intent and most ppls abilities to inturpit it. I have spent allot of time with ppl over MSN trying write out how to do something and sending pictures it is a very hard process to do. In a forum setting it would be impossible and cleaning up the written document to be clear and easily understood without a feed back from the person you are working with is impossible.

I have read many write ups on how to do things as I am sure FOAS has as well, and it always leads to trial and error until you can work it out yourself. So written instructions with pictures really is not a good way to show things, as you will treat it like any text book you only read the parts that interest you and skip the rest. This is always the curse of written instructions, and why no one really reads a manual. People have started to use video tutorials as the newest method for showing how to do tasks as they are by far easier to understand. The only real problem with them is ppl take them as the only way to do something and lose out on the experimentation side of learning where they would develope their own work flow.

As for why why writting is so hard to get right, look at the simple statement "feel free to ask questions". The Intenet was to ask about the subject at hand, but the questions I was poking FOAS with had nothing to do with the subject. It is also why I thought the video idea had merit over the written route.

isn't interesting to see something that was made in jest have to turn so serious, it is the limitation of writing you can not see or hear the authors intent, it is based on your perception of them.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:23:56 pm by GotAFarmYet? »
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 05:18:55 am »
*ahem*

Why can't we all be positive about the skills that we have to share with each other?  I can see I used to do this myself as a youth, and still do sometimes and catch myself. We do not bring ourselves up by tearing others down.

drb? He'll know what I mean, he's one of the people that helped get this through to me.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 06:53:41 am »
*hangs head*

I knew I would regret saying that I'd answer questions.

(btw, bonk, I think GAFY was playfully poking)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:25:32 am by FoaS_XC »
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 10:20:39 am »
Part 8
Impulse engines and warp glows.
[youtube]mFVyI5I_BqI[/youtube]

I'm organizing my photoshop presets so I can upload them today :)
Robinomicon

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 11:50:33 am »
Interesting so would that same patterening setup work for doing things like Fed Aztech paterens?

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:59 pm »
Yup, that's exactly how I do aztecing, actually.
Robinomicon

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 02:37:39 pm »
Thank goodness. Sorry, I totally missed any sarcasm. I thought you meant it.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:38 pm »
One other thing I know most of the time its the tendency to keeps ships from the same time frame colored about the same. However there are may different typs of stone so wouldn't it be better to use different base stones for the hulls of each class?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »
Damn i thought Tholians used crystals. SOME ONE PLEASE Remove my Dyna ACCOUNT>!  >:(
Time for life!

Offline FoaS_XC

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 11:56:21 pm »
Huh?

Crystals, Rocks, what have you.
Robinomicon

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:26 am »
Damn i thought Tholians used crystals. SOME ONE PLEASE Remove my Dyna ACCOUNT>!  >:(

Now I'm really confused...  :huh: Are you ghosted on the Dyna server? (we do not remove forums accounts or content here, it is all preserved)

Kreeargh, if there is some kind of issue going on that we can help with, send me a PM explaining the situation. We're here to have fun and will do our best to make sure everyone can do so in relative comfort.

BTW I really like this texturing job, Starfox1701. Very nice! IT is a good solution to the lack of transparency in SFC2, go with a good deep rock texture instead. It has a kind of granity - marbly look. I like it.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 11:34:08 am »
It has a kind of granity - marbly look. I like it.

Thats because it is a granite counter top. The other details are Garnet, Sapphiere, Enerald, Quartz, and Topaz. I'm considering using different granites for the different classes.

Damn i thought Tholians used crystals

Granites are volcanic rocks composed of many different crystals that formed under high heat and pressure. They are among the stongest natualy accuring composits on earth. The different minerals present effect hardness and color.

SOME ONE PLEASE Remove my Dyna ACCOUNT>!  >:(

WTF Dude you OK?

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
It has a kind of granity - marbly look. I like it.

Thats because it is a granite counter top. The other details are Garnet, Sapphiere, Enerald, Quartz, and Topaz. I'm considering using different granites for the different classes.

Damn i thought Tholians used crystals

Granites are volcanic rocks composed of many different crystals that formed under high heat and pressure. They are among the stongest natualy accuring composits on earth. The different minerals present effect hardness and color.

SOME ONE PLEASE Remove my Dyna ACCOUNT>!  >:(

WTF Dude you OK?

No im not so say my wife and doctors  :-\.  I see tholians as glowing colored crystal beings not grey granites. Any how sorry to highjack the thread.  :-[ 

Time for life!

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 01:01:18 am »

I see tholians as glowing colored crystal beings not grey granites. Any how sorry to highjack the thread.

No worries. The people are "glowing colored crystal beings". And the ships can be any stone color I would guess. Here are a few other experiments I am tring.  As you can see with the BB, DN, and PC I have 3 different kinds of granite and alot more to chose from. Google is my friend ;)

Offline Aramus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 01:47:28 pm »
I like the stone Idea, but I still think it needs more work because it all blends together at the minute and is difficult to see ship detail and stuff like that.

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
I have contiued working on them and have an update. Heres the BB and CA

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »
and the CL and DD

Offline Starfox1701

• Lt. Commander