Topic: Very interesting Video. Innovation.  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Very interesting Video. Innovation.
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:28:29 am »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1923-Innovation

This whole thing establishes the two sides of Video Game making, ie. Indy , and the Triple AAA, goes through each pro's and cons, and then shows how they could work together to get back to making really nice games.

I look at some of the games released the past few years, and while I enjoyed some of them, they where essentially Flops.

Like in the video, the guy says, we need The Triple AAA's for games like Fallout, Grand theft, COD, etc. But look at how they have also failed in the past. Hellfire London, SHadowrun, etc. etc.

The problem with Indy games, is they do Have innovation, basically because they don't have a budget. But they are by far more creative then the Triple AAA script games.

One thing that I have drawn a parallel in my mind with you all here, is to simply look at the Modders of this game.  I remember a time , when there was a new Mission, or a new Ship Model coming out ever week, if not more often. On the other hand, it was resources from a Triple AAA company ie. Taldren, 14Degrees East, Activision, etc.

So , outside of the informative video, and it's layman explanation of the business, It is something to keep in mind, as we look forward to the future of SFC here also.

Stephen

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War