Topic: Chalk River reactor back on line  (Read 1365 times)

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Chalk River reactor back on line
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »
Link to full article

OTTAWA — Medical isotopes are expected to be ready for processing and distribution this week, following Tuesday morning’s restart of the Chalk River nuclear reactor.

“We’ve begun to create medical isotopes,” said Robin Forbes, spokeswoman for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., which owns and operates the National Research Universal (NRU) reactor northwest of Ottawa.

“We’re working to get the first shipment off this week,” to MDS Nordion in Ottawa, where the isotopes are processed before being sent to hospitals and other users.

The successful restart follows a 15-month operation to repair corrosion in the heavy-water containment vessel of the world’s oldest operating nuclear reactor.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Chalk River reactor back on line
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:10 pm »
What kind of Reactor is Chalk River? I'm wanting to say it was based on the Tokamak , but I'm not sure if that's right.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:25 pm »
Interesting..

My grandfather (through marriage, because grand-mere remarried) once worked at the Chalk River facility. I think he cleaned floors or something menial. They lived in the nearby town of Deep River.

I think it's a CANDU reactor of some kind. Check out the wikipedia article.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk_River_Laboratories

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:25:07 am »
I bet your right, the article you listed mentioned Tritium in the heavy water.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:55 pm »
I believe that this reactor predates the CANDU design by several years.  It was an early Canadian reactor designed for scientific use.  It has been remodeled on more than one occasion.  Likely it is pretty much a one of design with things learned from it applied to later designs like CANDU.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »
it is a heavy water reactor style facility
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:10:41 am »
Wootelage!  :woot:

I wish we'd put more into our nuclear technology. We've been so far ahead for so long that we've rested on our laurels for ages now. Time to get back to work.

It is funny though, as I've bought these materials several times, but always through American distributors and packagers! Typical Canadian trade mentality: export the raw product then buy back the value added product. We are so damn lazy these days.

I'm going to have a need for some of them again soon. This is good. :thumbsup: