Topic: Will there be a "Microsoft branded CPU"?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Will there be a "Microsoft branded CPU"?
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »
Link to full article

"We have licensed our architecture and our instruction set to Microsoft," said Ian Drew, executive vice president of marketing at Arm. "This type of license allows you to design your own microarchitecture."

Only a select group of companies hold similar licenses to design their own Arm-based microarchitectures, including mobile phone chip giant Qualcomm, as well as Marvell Technology and Infineon Technologies.

"As an architectural licensee, Microsoft wants to go public about adding itself to that short list," Drew said.

Do we see a Microsoft computer locked tight to only Microsoft software in the future?  Perhaps the XBox v3.0 will be on ARM?  I guess we have to wait and see what sprouts.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Will there be a "Microsoft branded CPU"?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:39:04 pm »
I doubt MS will be trying to transition into the pc market, although I can see them using their own cpu in other areas such game consoles, and smart phones.

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
Re: Will there be a "Microsoft branded CPU"?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »
I doubt MS will be trying to transition into the pc market, although I can see them using their own cpu in other areas such game consoles, and smart phones.

The movie " the Onion" said it all  a series of piss you off pcs called bates 1000 - 9000 with the end for gill bates  :crazy2:.
Time for life!