Topic: Star Blazers  (Read 5029 times)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Star Blazers
« on: July 03, 2010, 10:57:50 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBu1cZm4Gqg&feature=related[/youtube]

Like being a kid again, except I don't speak Japanese and this looks cooler.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: Star Blazers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:11:25 am »
one of the best cartoons ever!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:54:51 am »
Weren't half the characters in those old Japanese cartoons supposed to be European?  I only see Asians there...

"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 04:30:40 am »
Looks like BSG with different ships and cast.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:22:22 pm »
Weren't half the characters in those old Japanese cartoons supposed to be European?  I only see Asians there...

IIRC, they were quasi european/american in the American version, but nary a non-japanese name in the original canon.
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:32:41 pm »
Nice!!

LOOOOOOOVED that show back in the day!

Too bad I blew up all my awesome SB models with firecrackers in a foolish momentary lapse of reason!

(still got my imported macross models though - if anyone is lookin' to score some!)

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »
Sweet i hope it will have a USA release {without subtitles} i dont want to have to read the movie and miss the action :-\
Time for life!

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:41:57 am »
That's why you watch it twice.  I remember a number of us working on some Star Blazers models for an SFC mod at one point. (I think I lost all mine, but I just found the icon I made for it).  I just want to know how long it will be before we get a decent Robotech/Macross type show.  I want my giant aliens and transforming fighter planes.  I have to admit, I haven't ever seen Starblazers, though.  I know.  The shame.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:01 pm »
Well, you will NEVER get a Macross type because the animation company that produced it, screwed themselves when they made the contract to let Harmony Gold use it to make Robotech.

Unless something has changed over the past few years, Harmony Gold will not let them sell ANY Macross title in the USA. 

It is a shame too, b/c there has been some good ones.
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »
Spent three years in Japan so got to watch macross. Plus a lot of other stuff. Back in the late 80's.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:54:14 am »
Well, you will NEVER get a Macross type because the animation company that produced it, screwed themselves when they made the contract to let Harmony Gold use it to make Robotech.

Unless something has changed over the past few years, Harmony Gold will not let them sell ANY Macross title in the USA. 

It is a shame too, b/c there has been some good ones.

Hard to say...

On one hand, Harmony Gold worked with the studio that made MOSPEADA (the series adapted to being the Invid Saga part of Robotech) to have the original Japanese version, and the Megazone 23 OVAs (considered a "precursor" to MOSPEADA because of the inclusion/creation of the "Cyclone" powered armor) in English, and HG has permission to use most of the "Earth" mecha in their continued Robotech OVAs...

On the other hand though, I've overheard that the studio that does Macross is extremely greedy and isn't really willing to "partner" with HG and their team (the DVDs would probably be released through ADV, I think they're the ones who's released all the translated MOSPEADA stuff as well as all of the Robotech stuff) to see/allow the Macross stuff to be done.

I do remember seeing (and even owning) a Macross II tape or two, and I rented a Macross Plus or Macross 7 tape a couple of times when VHS was still the rage (had YF 21 vs YF 19?, stealth, mind controlled fighters, etc.)  So, it's not like the two groups haven't worked together to get some of this done before...

That's why you watch it twice.  I remember a number of us working on some Star Blazers models for an SFC mod at one point. (I think I lost all mine, but I just found the icon I made for it).  I just want to know how long it will be before we get a decent Robotech/Macross type show.  I want my giant aliens and transforming fighter planes.  I have to admit, I haven't ever seen Starblazers, though.  I know.  The shame.

Atrahasis did a bunch of "Yamato universe" ships, Yamato, Andromeda, Harlock's I recall right off the top of my head, and I think I still have the Yamato model, even though I forgot the PW he put on it to decrypt it. 

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:54:37 pm »
So, Space Battleship Yamato has been in the theaters of Japan since December 1st...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-06/live-action-yamato-earns-943-million-yen-in-5-days

When do we get to see it here in the States?