Topic: Timelines Chart.  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Timelines Chart.
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »
way to big an image to post here, But it shows the Time traveling From popular stories in TV and movies.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/timelines/
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Timelines Chart.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
I don't agree with their including "time travel by suspended animation".  If you do that then you need to include anyone with extended lifespans such as Flint whose life went far beyond Buck Rogers 500 years.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:01:08 pm »
Was "Planet of the Apes" a deep freeze?

I thought it was some anomaly or something. ... and "Beneath" and "Escape from", too.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »
Was "Planet of the Apes" a deep freeze?

I thought it was some anomaly or something. ... and "Beneath" and "Escape from", too.

The first one is unclear.  The astronauts were supposed to be in suspended animation for a 600 light year trip.  How they ended up on Earth is never explained but if it was an "anomaly"  then their Earth date would be questionable as the ship clock would not be able to adjust for it.

The 2nd movie broke continuity as it was a rescue mission and didn't expect the time to be long (the commander was shocked to find his family had to be dead) yet again the ship clocks displayed the same (approximate) date as the first movie.  How they could do so is never explained.  Also strange was how Cornelius and Zera were suddenly bosom buddies of Zaius.

The 3rd one is very anomalous as suddenly the chimps were able to find the wrecked ships, remove it from the ocean and over haul it and launch it once more into space and again the clocks adjust for the unexpected time change that they shouldn't have been designed for.  All this apparently in the time of the military expedition into the forbidden zone, surely no more than a few days.  From barely having electric lights to overhauling a starship was a rather quick tech jump.

The TV show does have an anomaly and again the clocks got it right.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:47:07 pm »
one movie not listed that would be counted somewhat as a time travel movie is Sound of Thunder since they travel back in time and shoot dinos.