Topic: Fed strategies needed  (Read 40799 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Fed strategies needed
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2010, 01:23:35 am »
knightstrom we fight the flathead Klinks.

Age, ridgeheads, and flatheads are the same species.  In 22nd century the Klingon race was improved when a virus introduced human dna into the Klingon genome.  Unable to recognize the wondrous gift which they had received, the savages eventually found a way to reverse the process.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2010, 08:50:28 am »
Can we not get into an argument as to trek lore? It usually turns out to be really pointless and kinda lame. Let's get back to the tactical discussions.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »
Curious -- what does "power curve" exactly mean? I've used it before from time-to-time to describe the general power efficiency of a ship. In this case, I would say that the Federation CB has a better power curve than the CA just because it has more power (and you don't have to use the power on the hungry weapons if you need it somewhere else). But if the strict definition of a power curve is the amount of energy a ship has leftover while it fully charges its weapons (100% capacitor and all heavy weapons on normal), then the CA has the better curve.

Also, does power curve have anything to do with holdable heavy weapons? Klingons can usually charge normal dizzies while flying faster than Feds charging an equal number of photons, but the Klinks won't be able to speed up after charging them, unlike the Fed. Which would have the better power curve in this example?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:38 pm »
No strict definition, but I guess it means how fast a ship can go while still loading weapons, you don't need to load everything at once thought.

Regarding overloaded disrupters the only time you'd do that is if the ship is practically parked, at the higher speeds there isn't much shield reinforcement so normals are fine.  We actually saw a lot of this in Klingon Civil War, many 3v3 battles would just be "close and hose" were we'd just fire at range 4.  Quick, brutal, but the most effective you can get.

In Fed versus Klink it's very viable to close with overs if the fed is going to park.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:31 pm »
Regarding overloaded disrupters the only time you'd do that is if the ship is practically parked, at the higher speeds there isn't much shield reinforcement so normals are fine.  We actually saw a lot of this in Klingon Civil War, many 3v3 battles would just be "close and hose" were we'd just fire at range 4.  Quick, brutal, but the most effective you can get.

Ah, those race vs. race fleet fights sound like a lot of fun. I remember two years ago on Gamespy, there were a handful of stepped BPV Fed vs. Klink matches (Alliance vs. Coalition worked too), but they weren't too common.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2010, 05:15:29 pm »
the 3v3s were my first major introduction to multiplayer SFC games. (this was during the turn-based campaign beta). LOTS of fun.
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »
What power curve means to me is how fast you can go with charging all weapons in this case a CB can charge it normals and phasers at speed 25.The CA can not do this only around 18 with it 34 power.

Klingon ships can't go past speed 15 with over loads most line cruisers can't anyway.Fed line ships can for the most part can go past 15 with OL.This is mid.late and advanced.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2010, 11:19:19 am »
What power curve means to me is how fast you can go with charging all weapons in this case a CB can charge it normals and phasers at speed 25.The CA can not do this only around 18 with it 34 power.

One of us needs to recheck our math.

F-CA Total Power 34 - Photons 8 - Phasers 6 - Shields 2 - Life Support 1 - Fire Control 1 = 16
F-CB Total Power 38 - Photons 8 - Phasers 11 - Shields 2 - Life Support 1 - Fire Control 1 = 15

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »

One of us needs to recheck our math.

F-CA Total Power 34 - Photons 8 - Phasers 6 - Shields 2 - Life Support 1 - Fire Control 1 = 16
F-CB Total Power 38 - Photons 8 - Phasers 11 - Shields 2 - Life Support 1 - Fire Control 1 = 15

This is irrelevant, in a running-battle you never power all your weapons at once.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 06:45:11 am »
Soreyes sticks his nose in. :D

Face it fed's. When you come up aginst a Kzin in a DF....... Run!!!!!    ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 07:30:07 am »

Well, maybe not run, but you don't chase.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:35 am »
lol, chasing is sometimes the only way to run off them pesky droners... It then devolves into a game of timing, range, and turning radius. Hehe, dont forget to watch out for the 'Het+trac+SP+dronewave+Bukakke-in-ur-face' manuever. Kills many a fed capn.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2010, 10:21:28 am »
lol, chasing is sometimes the only way to run off them pesky droners... It then devolves into a game of timing, range, and turning radius. Hehe, dont forget to watch out for the 'Het+trac+SP+dronewave+Bukakke-in-ur-face' manuever. Kills many a fed capn.

Yeah, that is never fun.

I never played droners much, but the Camboro XCA is really nice (and breaks up those endless advanced-era fights). You can't get better than four reloads of fast drones and engine doubling at under 300 . . . well, you probably can but oh well.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2010, 10:21:50 am »
(Oops, double post)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:24:31 am by Roychipoqua_Mace »

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2010, 08:34:55 pm »

We are allies though this being on the Dyna.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »

Some allies it is better not to be too close to.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2010, 11:07:00 pm »

Some allies it is better not to be too close to.

Didnt we fix this last mission pack where u go to communications and toggle the button to fire on allies?

Offline Kruk

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 08:29:25 pm »
I see nothing changed around here in all the years. Someone starts a thread about tactics, it then turns into race trash talk, ships compared, power and then cheese (Droners). LOL

Starcastling vs a Klingon is the way to go, except if he has fighters (Cheese). Or a B11

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2010, 04:42:33 am »
There is new stuff... Its a few months away by my guess buts its cool.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2010, 10:37:54 am »
I see nothing changed around here in all the years. Someone starts a thread about tactics, it then turns into race trash talk, ships compared, power and then cheese (Droners). LOL

I was thinking the same thing...
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead