Topic: BioShock 2  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
BioShock 2
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:10:06 am »
Bioshock 2 is getting rave reviews - which was gonna make it a zero day purchase for me!

They just announced no dedicated servers for the multi-play...  guess I'll wait for the $5 steam sale instead...  Those Punk Asses!

If you do really want this game early supposedly Toys R Us is giving away the Big Sis / Little Sis figure 2 pack with pre orders starting this weekned (should be in weekend ad - ymmv) - I picked up one of these packs online and I think their pretty darn cool - if your in to having a bizarre video game influenced menagerie around your computer desk - like I am.

;)

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: BioShock 2
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »
Ok I caved and bought the Special Edition version for PC.

:D

Don't judge me!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »
IT looks sweet, and I really wanted to get into the Ayn Rand storyline of the first one, But I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should go back and revisit it again.  Then again, I had the same problem with Mass effect.  Might be just burn out from 1st person shooters.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:33:06 am »
Yeah - I had to lay off the FPS's for a while - I was in a bad place with them.

I actually haven't played the first Bioshock more than 30min's on my friends comp - I'm running a single core and the Bioshock games don't like to work for anything less than a core duo...

I do - however - like the idea of an idealized society - and I am in fact working to create such a society actively.

Of course - the Bioshock games are a cautionary tale of extreme libertarianism run amok - under the sea - but I still think that it is possible to reform society - and perhaps even have a 2nd Renissance Period.

Of course - Start Trek - has one of the most idealized societies of any fiction - but what I like about it - is it is plausible such a society could form under the stresses of sudden first contact with hostile - and non-hostile - extra terrestrial races.

One day we are going to discard the old Tribal "Alpha Male" dominated heirarchies - in favor of a scientifically prescribed one - I just hope that the Brave New World we create is fully aware of Dystopian dangers our sci-fi authors (and moral philosophers) have laid bare before us.

But - of the 30 min I DID play - it was pretty freakin' System Shock style AWESOME!

;D

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
I hear ya man. The game is so nice looking. The game play was ok for me the first time I tried. Made it to the first save the girl part. I think it was just timing as well for me. I cycle through RPG's, Tacticle, FPS, and all the while have an MMO going also.

Funny you mentioned the ST universe and the ideological society. Not wanting to head off into H&S country here, but I had the wierdest dream the other night about a first contact.

in it, a ship landed ala the original Day the earth stood still, the military and police came out and cordened them off.

in my dream, I snuck close to the ship and just said howdy. Was hit with a tazer and the next thing I know I'm on the ship. They where basically asking me if the world was friendly or not, and all I could think of, was well, you little gray guys just saw my 1st amendment rights shot to hell.

Now that tells me one thing. I am way to involved with SciFi and politics.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:12 am »
Heh Heh - Awesome!

I haven't had a cool Sci Fi dream in some time now...

I'd have to say that Humans probably aren't ready - in general - for first contact - but I think we're pretty adaptable and would get used to it pretty quickly...

Of course some of us old school star trek nerds have been ready since we we're like 10 - so lets bring it on yah green blooded alien bastid's!!

;)