Topic: DragonAge!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
DragonAge!
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »
Woo hoo!  Got it.

I will tell you the battles and fights are great.  You cant just  click on an enemy and watch your PC mow dowe the baddies.  Tactics tactics tactics.  Every encounter is dangerous in this world and preset, built with an eye toward killing you. 

Its about 100 - 120 hours of gameplay for one of the PC's... but that multiplies a number of times when you start over using a different "origin".

About 60 -70 spells that can be used in combination.  Each of 4 schools of magic fature 16 spells that have certain stat requirements like 25 magic or 22 will etc to select.  You are NOT restricted to a school.  You need to dabble a tab in minor battles to discover spell combinations that work.

Attrbutes handle many things.  Willpower effects stamina regeneration and  decline while wearing heavy armor in addition to base resistence to physical and mental attacks.  Dex and Strength do what they usually do.  Magic mostly dictates "mana" for spell caster.  fOR EXAM,PLE Its possible to builds three kinds of worrier there... Dex based, Str based or willpower based.   A dex based guy will be able to handle the highest two weapon levels and attack faster...stranegth great with hields and two handed weapons...will power is a great jack ofall trades and archery as it will permit him to use "feats" faster and with shorter cool down periods using less stamina.

There are 3 major classes (base classes) and four specialty classes for a total of 16.  However to get the subspecialities you may have to pay out gold or bump into an NPC willing to teach you.  I paid 15 GP's (trust me thats A LOT of money in this game) to become a Ranger.

(Side note...Rangers very good class).  Allows the ability to summon a very competent animal (wolf, bear, spider).  These are not the wimpy Beasts of NWN but formidble NPC's that will stay with you until you leave a certain area and stay alive for quite some time in combat even if they are outclassed. 

Ok well onward.  Dungeons are very interesting and some very large, taking hours to get through.  Expect over half a dozen life and death battles along with some very immersive “easy” fights.   Most dungeons carry multiple Bosses. In this game if you rush into a battle heedlessly without thinking you’re as good as dead. 

Sound and voice acting are all top flight.  Plot contains many of the Bioware elements we are used to experiencing including the building of "alliances", the reason for most of the main quests. Controls are easy and an improvment to all the games I've played allowing for the usual "wasd", mouse or a combination approach.

Thats it for now.  I little bit more later.

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: DragonAge!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:15 am »
Nice Review!

Got this used because I am a completist - even though I've never got around to playing the Baulders Gate series.

(which I also own)

Popped it in right before bed to make sure it ran okay - and forced myself to stop playing when I realized it was almost time to go to work again!

Color me impressed!  8)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
My brother got me this as a late christmas present (got it saturday), been playing it almost none stop since :).  I really love it since it lets me play as an Arcane Warrior - I love mingling magic and melee ;).  My experiences with it have been altogether good.  Its kinda like playing an MMORPG cept you can control and micromanage all the characters (which i like, i don't trust the ai most of the time ;).  my only complaint is that there seems to be a memory problem (loads start getting slower and slower).   
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:31:27 pm »
My brother got me this as a late christmas present (got it saturday), been playing it almost none stop since :).  I really love it since it lets me play as an Arcane Warrior - I love mingling magic and melee ;).  My experiences with it have been altogether good.  Its kinda like playing an MMORPG cept you can control and micromanage all the characters (which i like, i don't trust the ai most of the time ;).  my only complaint is that there seems to be a memory problem (loads start getting slower and slower).   

You can program your AI's to do what you want it to if you havent found the screen yet.  I'm trying to figure it out right now.  But there are situtation for when your guy is surrounded, protecting ypour mage, if your enemy reaches a certain level (percent) of hit points etc "do this"...throw a spell or use a special attack etc.

Basically you prgogram in the situation then ID the feat spell or talent you want them to use...

so if you make one of your fighter protect the mage and when the mage is surrounded by more than "2" enemies he erforms (if he can depending on stamina) a "sweep" with his greatsword sending enemies flying about.  The you can further program him to take on the the most damaged enemy, most dangerous etc

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:23:15 pm »
Yup, thats what i mean by micro manage ;).

W/ my group build, which is MT, MT/OT, DPS and Healer the only character is run purely by tatics is the healer - keeping regeneration on my main tainks, and healing when they get to low on health.  The tanks i just point them (minus a few intial thingies w/ my guy who is an arcane warrior) and theni run around w/ the dps rogue :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:13:24 pm »
That kind of thing helps in close quarter fights or ambushes for sure.

And that can be a problem in this game.  In dungeons you usually get the clue when the game auto saves. hehe.  But those random battles in the big map can be a tab touch and go.  Stuff pops out f the ground or

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:18:34 am »
yea, the second random encounter i got was the one with the elves behind some barracades fightin two yeller darkspawn fellers w/ a mess load of archers.  Pratically imposssible to do if you don't have a healer in your group (was really really annoyed since at that point I was still learning the game and hadn't gotten the number of pots i would have needed to survive w/o a healer)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 02:11:50 am »
Trying this out myself. About 2 more gig to go on the download from Impulse.

I loved those old Baldurs gate games.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:15:31 am »
well you'll also be happy to know that once you beat it, the next game will be out ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:48:44 am »
LOL, well, If I can ever get it to install lol.

Downloaded the whole thing via Impulse, got a MD5 error, thought ok, and boom, the whole thing disappeared off my drive.

So I get to download the whole thing . Again. Takes me about 3 nights. But it still looks pretty darn sweet.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War